Hey guys, recently at my gigs i've been having trouble hearing myself.
The monitors are just too weak, i was thinking about doing a ear monitor
set up somehow if thats possible? Or would that just be really unusual?
Anyways i would appreciate any help on the issue.

Thanks.
Guitars
------------------

Epiphone SG w/seymour duncan JB's

Hagstrom Super Swede

Amp
-----------------

Traynor YCV50 BLUE

Pedals
------------------

Line 6 DL-4

Boss TU-2
wouldnt an ear monitor be set up be like
AMP ---> wireless ear monitor/wireless ear ---> pedalboard ---> Guitar

confirmation pls
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
See thats the thing i don't even know how i would pull it off. :/
Guitars
------------------

Hagstrom Super Swede

Amp
-----------------

Traynor YCV50 BLUE

Pedals
------------------

Line 6 DL-4

Boss TU-2
you get an personal ear monitoring system and get one of the monitor outputs sent to the ear monitoring unit. simple.
a great deal of bands use in ear monitors but I can't help you with how they are actually set up
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
umm, well first off, the shows your playing at, you have a bad engineer cause he obviously doesnt know how to use a monitor properly.
well it would be costly and uneffective considering that you should be able too, just ask him to turn up your guitar on what ever monitor is in front of you.
The monitors we have aren't loud and mostly broken, also theres too much stage noise with all the different monitors going at once, i cant really hear anything but drums most of the time.
He plays hard haha and yeah, our sound tech isn't the brightest
Guitars
------------------

Hagstrom Super Swede

Amp
-----------------

Traynor YCV50 BLUE

Pedals
------------------

Line 6 DL-4

Boss TU-2
yes its possible.
its pretty expensive though at first. generally you will need your own headphone amp, you wll need a (good, not cheap) wireless transmitter/receiver, and quality in ears, which are expensive.

tell me what your live set up is now, how many people in the band, what they play, what monitors your running, how your running them, what is going through the monitors, and where your playing. any other info can be beneficial too.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by chea_man
tell me what your live set up is now, how many people in the band, what they play, what monitors your running, how your running them, what is going through the monitors, and where your playing. any other info can be beneficial too.
I just read this thread. Too bad TS stopped responding. I'd be interested to know what to look out for when using different instruments.

The band I'm envisioning has a couple of guitars, a bass, an electric drum kit and a synth to play mostly indi rock. Do all these players need different equipment?

Is there a way that each musician can have his own small equalizer to bring out whatever levels he likes to hear best, or even a mixer to regulate his instrument's output against the others? And where does the singer fit in all this?

On a side-note: it must be real strange to drop in on a jam session where everyone uses an in-ear monitor and only hear the singer.
Quote by Withakay
I just read this thread. Too bad TS stopped responding. I'd be interested to know what to look out for when using different instruments.

The band I'm envisioning has a couple of guitars, a bass, an electric drum kit and a synth to play mostly indi rock. Do all these players need different equipment?

Is there a way that each musician can have his own small equalizer to bring out whatever levels he likes to hear best, or even a mixer to regulate his instrument's output against the others? And where does the singer fit in all this?

On a side-note: it must be real strange to drop in on a jam session where everyone uses an in-ear monitor and only hear the singer.

In my band everyone has in ear monitors.

This is how it works:

All the instruments are mic'd. Drums, guitar cab, and bass cab (or you can go direct if you wish) and plugged into a mixing board. You should know that the mixing board is where you mix the amount of each instrument each person wants.

Each person then has a transmitter that plugs from an Output from the mixing board. The transmitter sends the signal from the mixing board to your receiver, which is usually worn on your pants (for monitors anyway) and had headphones that go from there.

This is very expensive and isn't going to be practical if you're playing smaller, crappier venues as they will not be equipped to be compatible with in ear monitoring systems. Especially if you say they suck anyway. My system costs about $1800 before taxes. Shure PSM-600 $1200 and Ultimate-Ears UE-5 custom headphones $600

I'm really tired. Forgive my grammar tonight.
MINI enthusiast

@stevenpollock

My band: avenueofembers.com
Quote by neverspoiled
thank you stevenpollock..
the only Pit-head thats not a douche bag...right now anyway
=)
Quote by stevenpollock
In my band everyone has in ear monitors.
On this picture in your profile you have your foot on a monitor. Is that an old shot or do you only use in-ears for rehearsing?

All the instruments are mic'd. Drums, guitar cab, and bass cab (or you can go direct if you wish) and plugged into a mixing board. You should know that the mixing board is where you mix the amount of each instrument each person wants.
But isn't it so that each musician needs to hear himself louder than the others? Wouldn't it be better to mix your own instrument locally, I don't know, on your receiver?

My system costs about $1800 before taxes. Shure PSM-600 $1200 and Ultimate-Ears UE-5 custom headphones $600.
Is that for the whole band, or just your part?

Another question: do these headphones also work to mute surrounding sound? Could you use them without input to protect your ears in a loud environment?

I'm really tired. Forgive my grammar tonight.
The question here is, can you forgive yourself? :-) (Just kidding, I didn't notice any mistakes)

On a side-note: you guys are good. Most professional band I've come across on UG so far. Thanks for the info.