Im going to be getting a new gutiar soon and i really want a Les Paul. Like really bad!!!! Anyways, I was wondering if you could get any type of gibson for around $700. Because i know those are really expensive. I was also wondering if it would be worthwhile to get an epiphone instead, and upgrade the pickups and such. I would like to know the prices of some epiphones too, if your up for helping a fellow player out.

Thanks
Having just* checked out an Epi LP and a Gibby LP studio on friday, side by side... Honestly, if you're going "cheap gibson", you'd in fact save money by just going with the Epi and getting some pups. Just my opinion though.

Also, Shecter seems to have popped up with a LP'ish model, the "soloist" i think? Check out their site, saw it there.
'08 Shecter C1+ w/jb-jazz
'10 LTD Deluxe EC1000 w/Blackouts
Peavey 6505+
Peavey cab
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
ISP Decimator

Lefty
Do you have an electric guitar right now? If yes, then I suggest sticking with that one and save up for a Gibson. I doubt 700 will get you a Gibson Les Paul. Though I'm no "Gibson guy", but as far as I know, they're more than 700.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
ESP makes a couple guitars that look like Lp's
the ec1000 I think, they play well, and lots of people I know swear by em
I'm FAT!
First question: what amp do you have? You'd be better off getting a decent amp and getting a cool guitar later because the amp with have a much bigger effect on your sound.

I don't think any guitar with Gibson written on the headstock retails for less than $1000, and even then it's low end Studios and that bloody BFG or BLG atrocity which probably cost less than $100 to manufacture. You could go for an Epiphone Les Paul and change the pups, but as I said you won't hear much of a difference unless you have a decent amp.

Other LP-esque guitars are the LTD Eclipse, Agile brand guitars and Tokai guitars; I'm not sure how much the LTD Eclipse costs, but Agile and Tokai guitars are pretty cheap and Tokai LPs are basically the same as real LPs but they have a different name on the headstock.
Quote by spinal_remains
you could get an SG for that.

Or that. Gibson Faded SG? I think.
'08 Shecter C1+ w/jb-jazz
'10 LTD Deluxe EC1000 w/Blackouts
Peavey 6505+
Peavey cab
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
ISP Decimator

Lefty
I believe Kramer released some nice Les Pauls at NAMM, and I think one had an FR if your into that sort of thing.

But if not, your best bet would be to buy an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and replace the pickups with Seymour Duncans or Gibson pickups.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Agile, they're really great quality and they're extremely good value. They're amazing guitars, you can get a LP with a lot of features like Original Floyd Rose and EMG 81s/85s
For that price, the best you can get is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. They are definately good quality, but still not as good as a Gibson.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by kenan6346
First question: what amp do you have? You'd be better off getting a decent amp and getting a cool guitar later because the amp with have a much bigger effect on your sound.

I don't think any guitar with Gibson written on the headstock retails for less than $1000, and even then it's low end Studios and that bloody BFG or BLG atrocity which probably cost less than $100 to manufacture. You could go for an Epiphone Les Paul and change the pups, but as I said you won't hear much of a difference unless you have a decent amp.

Other LP-esque guitars are the LTD Eclipse, Agile brand guitars and Tokai guitars; I'm not sure how much the LTD Eclipse costs, but Agile and Tokai guitars are pretty cheap and Tokai LPs are basically the same as real LPs but they have a different name on the headstock.

Ive got a Vox Valvetronix 30 watt amp.
Quote by WOODY_B
Ive got a Vox Valvetronix 30 watt amp.

amp upgrade should come before guitar then generally.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by Matt15f
amp upgrade should come before guitar then generally.

Is that amp not good? I like it but i have a squier tele and it sounds so weak.
I love my Valvetronix, and It nails everything from The Beatles to Eric Clapton to Foo Fighters to Metallica, even with my stock Epiphone SG special.
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Well wolfy808 you make me happy. You seem really satisfied with your valvetronix and your epi. I think ill probally go with the epiphone les paul...

sound good?
Yeah, but if you want a sound clip, I've got a soundclip on youtube. Just type my name into youtube or something.

I'm not sure about the new Vox's, but I love mine.
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Get a Epiphone LP standard put burstbuckers, straplocks, and Kluson tuners on it
Thats what I did
Quote by Rhoads_1096
Get a Epiphone LP standard put burstbuckers, straplocks, and Kluson tuners on it
Thats what I did
1) Straplocks should always be put on every guitar, moot point.
2) No point changing to Kluson tuners, the stock Epi tuners are 18:1 Grovers, you can't get more accurate tuners than that.
3) Who says BurstBucker pickups fight this person's type of music, amplifier, pedals and cables?

Quote by spinal_remains
you could get an SG for that.

This comes up in nearly every LP thrad and I'd like to put a stop to it.
I have nothing against SGs, they have their place in the guitar world. I previously owned one myself.
However, an SG is not just a cheap replacement for a Les Paul. They sound different, they feel different, they play differently. You might as well be suggesting a Strat or a Tele for all the good it does; someone is asking about one type of guitar and you're suggesting a different type of guitar altogether. Just because it's got mahogany in it and two humbuckers does not mean it's the same. You don't suggest Flying-Vs and Explorers when someone wants a Les Paul do you? When someone wants and SG, you don't suggest a Firebird. When someone wants a Telecaster, you don't suggest an ES-335 with P-90s.

Anyway.

As far a slow-end Gibson vs EPiphone with upgrades goes, go for the Epi. Try some out, make sure you get a really good one, then change the pots, the input jack, the pickup selector switch, the capacitors, and maybe the nut too. Leave the bridge and the tuners alone; nothing you 'upgrade' them to will actually be any better than the stock Epiphone tuners and bridge, they're the two bits of hardware you never need to change on an Epiphone.
Leave the pickups alone too until you get a new amp. Changing pickups while you have that Vox won't do you any good. Pickups should be the last thing you change in any rig.

For the record, the reason why I say an upgrade Epi over the low-end Gibson is because Gibson's quality control is so dodgy, it will take you much longer to find something like a Studio that's any good (especially since these low-end models are called low-end for a reason), and even then you'll still probably have to upgrade it a bit. On the other hand Epiphone's quality control is actually slightly better than Gibson's is right now, so you can find a decent one quicker and the total cost of Epi + upgrades should still total less than the basic Gibson, let alone Gibson + upgrades.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If you like LP style & feel check out Ibanez Artist Series! Most poeple think of their shredder styles but they still make others. I played a couple ART ARX series before settling on my Elitist's. They have set necks, TOM bridges, arched tops and aren't ridiculously priced.

<http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/Series-artist>
Moving on.....
you might even want to try a Michael Kelly Patriot. They're very good quality for a nice price. just do some research.
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way
Quote by MrFlibble
1) Straplocks should always be put on every guitar, moot point.
2) No point changing to Kluson tuners, the stock Epi tuners are 18:1 Grovers, you can't get more accurate tuners than that.
3) Who says BurstBucker pickups fight this person's type of music, amplifier, pedals and cables?

This comes up in nearly every LP thrad and I'd like to put a stop to it.
I have nothing against SGs, they have their place in the guitar world. I previously owned one myself.
However, an SG is not just a cheap replacement for a Les Paul. They sound different, they feel different, they play differently. You might as well be suggesting a Strat or a Tele for all the good it does; someone is asking about one type of guitar and you're suggesting a different type of guitar altogether. Just because it's got mahogany in it and two humbuckers does not mean it's the same. You don't suggest Flying-Vs and Explorers when someone wants a Les Paul do you? When someone wants and SG, you don't suggest a Firebird. When someone wants a Telecaster, you don't suggest an ES-335 with P-90s.

Anyway.

As far a slow-end Gibson vs EPiphone with upgrades goes, go for the Epi. Try some out, make sure you get a really good one, then change the pots, the input jack, the pickup selector switch, the capacitors, and maybe the nut too. Leave the bridge and the tuners alone; nothing you 'upgrade' them to will actually be any better than the stock Epiphone tuners and bridge, they're the two bits of hardware you never need to change on an Epiphone.
Leave the pickups alone too until you get a new amp. Changing pickups while you have that Vox won't do you any good. Pickups should be the last thing you change in any rig.

For the record, the reason why I say an upgrade Epi over the low-end Gibson is because Gibson's quality control is so dodgy, it will take you much longer to find something like a Studio that's any good (especially since these low-end models are called low-end for a reason), and even then you'll still probably have to upgrade it a bit. On the other hand Epiphone's quality control is actually slightly better than Gibson's is right now, so you can find a decent one quicker and the total cost of Epi + upgrades should still total less than the basic Gibson, let alone Gibson + upgrades.

umm...if he wanted a replacement for a les paul,wouldnt he just write that instead of:
Quote by WOODY_B
I was wondering if you could get any type of gibson for around $700
?
AGILE ftw! dude, they are just as good as epiphone and almost half the price for the same exact guitar!

http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000hsbf.html
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-Top-Electric-Guitar-518341-i1149990.gc
the agile is WAY beter for LESS than half the price! You could spend the other $300 on pedals or other, more important stuff.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Okay, first things first: GO TRY OUT THE FLIPPING GUITAR BEFORE YOU MAKE A DECISION!

And if you really want the Gibson, you're going to have to save for it.

My first gear was a Squier Stratocaster (which I still affectionately love) and a Squier 10 watt amp. When I wanted a new guitar about 1 and a half years ago, I took time to try out all the guitars out there. I didn't have the money for a Gibson (I had about $1000). My parents and my family is not the richest family on the block, so my parents sure weren't going to help me pay for it. I knew that the Gibson was going to be a big investment. So I had to pay more than I had planned and save up over the course of a year to make another $1000. If you're smart, patient and lucky (especially lucky), then you will be able to find a good Les Paul for anywhere from $1000-$2000.

Amp also matters. Even though the Valvetronix isn't a bad amp, an improvement could be possible, but not necessary. If you're happy with it, then it doesn't need replacing, you know what they say:

"Don't fix what ain't broke"
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
imo, get a epi les paul standard, qualtiy guitar for the money. And replacce the pups with some kind of seymour duncan. i dont know too much about pickups. the pickups u put in depend upon the style of music you play.
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
Quote by spinal_remains
umm...if he wanted a replacement for a les paul,wouldnt he just write that instead of:
?
Exactly, that's the point.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by f22master
AGILE ftw! dude, they are just as good as epiphone and almost half the price for the same exact guitar!

http://www.rondomusic.com/al2000hsbf.html
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Plus-Top-Electric-Guitar-518341-i1149990.gc
the agile is WAY beter for LESS than half the price! You could spend the other $300 on pedals or other, more important stuff.

Actually look at the specs! Putting a set maple neck into mahogany body (Agile) isn't the same as a mahogany neck into mahogany body (Gibson & EPI). Maple is often substituted as North American grown stock is used. It's cheaper and more readily available as well, helping account for some of the prices difference. It will also sound somewhat different. Many Les Paul lovers are attracted to the all mahogany w/ Maple top combo not just the style! I know it was a big factor for me and I wouldn't settle for the Maple neck.
Moving on.....
I'm selling an Epiphone Les Paul vintage sunburst plus top electric guitar, made in Korea in 2000 (serial number S00064515). It has the following upgrades:

1. Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups (the ones Slash uses)
2. Alpha pots
3. Vitamin Q capacitors (0.015 neck, 0.022 bridge)
4. Allparts toggle and jack
5. Gotoh locking tuners
6. Gotoh bridge and tailpiece
7. Schaller straplocks
8. Stew Mac knob pointer washers

Buy this and you will never ever have to upgrade anything on it and it will kill any Gibson les paul studio. Going for around $500 shipped. Let me know if you're interested!
Quote by KenG
Actually look at the specs! Putting a set maple neck into mahogany body (Agile) isn't the same as a mahogany neck into mahogany body (Gibson & EPI). Maple is often substituted as North American grown stock is used. It's cheaper and more readily available as well, helping account for some of the prices difference. It will also sound somewhat different. Many Les Paul lovers are attracted to the all mahogany w/ Maple top combo not just the style! I know it was a big factor for me and I wouldn't settle for the Maple neck.

yes, i get where youre coming from. BUT...mohagany is not as strong as maple and will break more (around the nut on most gibsons) than maple. ive never heard of a maple neck snapping while the guitar is just leaning against the wall. now mohagony...

and it takes someone with several years of expereience to tell the two apart. i play both necks(at my local guitar store) back to back and i cant tell the difference. its not really as big a factor as say the shape of the neck. its actually a small matter to most...
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
I don't think it's mahogany being weaker so much as the gaping hole at the neck joint where the truss rod access is. I think the design is weaker than Fender but it's only my opinion.
Moving on.....
Quote by MrFlibble

This is all really good advice. I have an Epiphone LP Standard Plus and I've modified the hell out of it. It has Gibson pickups, Sperzel locking tuners, new wiring, a bone nut, and a new switch. It sounds and plays just like a Gibson.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
For $700, I think you can get an Epi LP Custom and upgrade the pups. That's what I did: got the custom and slapped in some Duncan '59's. Amazing tone now, much better than the stock Epi pups. Not sure if you'll be able to get a Gibson for $700.