I checked out Obscura's new album after finding out they were going to be on tour with CC, so I got Cosmogenesis (couldn't find Retribution ) and when I heard that bass tone, I instantly thought "Now why the hell doesn't my bass sound this awesome?"

And then I checked out This Month In Metal, and read that their bassist uses a fretless.

So, is there any way to get that kind of tone on a fretted bass?
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
yeah.

get a screwdriver and pry your frets out, then fill the gaps with either strips of veneer or wood filler.

either that or replace the neck.

x

EDIT: you cant really get a fretless tone without a fretless bass. what would be the point in fretless basses otherwise?
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by gnomieowns
glass slide on bass!

sounds horrible i tried it.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Flat wounds? I don't know, but that is the closest thing I can think of.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Well i don't really know of a way but maybe just by putting some combination of effects on it. Thats the only thing i can think of.
No amount of flatwounds, slides or effects is going to get you the mwah of a fretless. Sorry.
Quote by anarkee
No amount of flatwounds, slides or effects is going to get you the mwah of a fretless. Sorry.

This.

There's a reason they're made. The tone isn't exactly reproducible unless you have a fretless.
Quote by rockonth
Why don't they just send 4chan to Iraq if they're so good at these so called "raids"?

Quote by entity0009
I once got hit by a flying wig. Either it was a wig or someone was headbanging far too hard.
Alright, thanks, I figured I'd ask.

one thing though... I've always wondered, how do people know where to press on the neck when fretless basses have no lines?
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
Quote by TheTortured

one thing though... I've always wondered, how do people know where to press on the neck when fretless basses have no lines?

Some have lines where the frets would be
most still have inlays, so you know where 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, etc. are

some people are just that good and know
imagine trained musicians, they just know...
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by TheTortured

same way people do it with orchestral stringed instruments..playing so much that their fingers just automatically go to the right spot
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Also many unlined fretless have dots on the side of the neck. This is the case with my EBMM Stingray fretless.
Quote by anarkee

I've come close with my Kramer. I'm not sure how easily I could get the tone again, actually. It kinda happened by accident. I was at my lesson yesterday and I was using the piece of crap Ampeg combo there, which, despite its 15" speaker, can sound really harsh. So, I turned the tone knob down a bit, and it almost sounded like a fretless. It doesn't quite have that "mwah" sound, but it's about 60-65% there, which is closer than I've come with anything else. Actually, the "sustained" tone (ie, minus the attack) is about 80%, at least IMO.

But really, TS, if you want a fretless tone, get a fretless. It might be difficult at first, but it will improve your accuracy on fretted basses a lot, and will definitely be worth it.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.