Well the time has come for me to get a new amp but I'm not exactly sure what to get.

I'm looking for something that's good for Metal (all sorts, Folk, Thrash, Black, etc.) but also has decent cleans for Ska and Reggae. Also, there's a good chance that I'm going to start gigging and playing with a drummer soon, so I want something that will be loud enough.

My budget is around $900 but I don't want to go over that. So if I have to buy used, I'll do that, it really doesn't matter to me.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
You could wait for the new 1x12 6505 from Peavey, which has beastly distortion, and is only about 800$. You could spend the extra 100$ or so on an EQ pedal.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by Say Ocean
I'm assuming this is including a cab. The rectoverb combo, or a mark III combo, both have great cleans and heavy ass distortion.

This. Mark III=tasty
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
get the 6505+ 112 and spend a 150 and get a celestion v30 speaker put in it
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'm gonna try to get to a music store this week to try them out.

Also, I've heard some good things about Mesa Single Rectifiers but I've also heard some not so good things. Are they worth looking into?
Quote by blackenedktulu

Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
mesa is better for cleans, for rhythm both are nice, lead i would say 6505+
Quote by CFH82
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'm gonna try to get to a music store this week to try them out.

Also, I've heard some good things about Mesa Single Rectifiers but I've also heard some not so good things. Are they worth looking into?

Yes, they definitely are. Anyone that tells you no needs to spend less time reading forum drivel and more time playing real amps and real volumes.
Quote by CFH82

I would take a look at them and try one out if you can. Their kind of a love/hate thing. I've played the Triple Rec (which is the same as the Dual Rec except 150 watts i think) and i was unimpressed with it for the price. The low end was really flubby because of the Tube rectification I think. The Single Rec's don't use tube rectification, so maybe their better. Plus their 50 watts which is all you need really. So overall, just go play one if you can.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
So I tried the 6505+ and the Single Rectifier today as well as some other amps and I have come to my decision!

I'm going to get the Single Rectifier.

Now the only question I have is what cab should I get for it? I'm most likely going to be buying the head (and cab) used so I'll have a little extra cash left over for a decent one. Should I go with a 2 x 12 or a 4 x 12?
Quote by blackenedktulu

Quote by Zero-Hartman

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Quote by CFH82
So I tried the 6505+ and the Single Rectifier today as well as some other amps and I have come to my decision!

I'm going to get the Single Rectifier.

Now the only question I have is what cab should I get for it? I'm most likely going to be buying the head (and cab) used so I'll have a little extra cash left over for a decent one. Should I go with a 2 x 12 or a 4 x 12?

Its really up to you, I'd go 2x12 for easier transportation and such, some say a 4x12 would be worth the size and expense but its more a matter of preference.

Ironically, a Rectifier 2x12 would go perfect with it, but take a look at Framus, Orange, and Avatar as well.
Quote by progbass

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE