I have figured it out...sort of.

I know what to look for, now I just have to narrow it down.

I am looking for:

alder, or mahogany body
maple neck
pickups dont matter (humbucker, single-coil, coil-tap, whichever sounds good. No preferance either way)

I also would like to add a Bigsby tremolo, if it doesnt have one already.

My choices so far:

Fender HH Jaguar (the block and chrome one)
Fender Deluxe Tele (the '72 Classic Series one, w/those z-coil looking humbuckers)
Ibanez SAS32EX (HH strat w/ coil-tap)
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet

The amp I'm testing everything through is the Fender Blues Jr.

However, the mids and bass seems to distort while the highs stay clean. Like if only the bass strings were distorted.

Wierd.

Would that be guitars or amp doing that?
::Support Our Troops::

To all the men and women in uniform, thank you for serving our country.
We love you. God Bless.
ooh,ohh

go gretsch electromatic pro jet (any gretsch sounds great and they all look great with a bigsby

(im building a gretsch at the moment and somewhere down the line i'll add a bigsby
I have a Fender HH Jag, but not the one I think you're talking about. I say get a Gretsch because any of those other guitars would look funny with a Bigsby, and I like their feel.

I play 60's jangle-pop, and 80's rock (not shred, but Bon Jovi, Duran Duran, David Bowie, etc.)

so which of these guitars in the first post would you choose?

We love you. God Bless.
Gretsch by far. I wouldnt really imagine a bigsby on any of those guitars that would be better than the gretsch
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
I've only tried one gretsch and it was a semi-hollow but they seem to have nice guitars. If you like the Fender C shape neck (im assuming that's what's on the jag and tele) then i'd probably get the tele out of the two, but i love ibanez so the SA would be my choice. The tonal abilities of that guitar are amazing to say the least.
I tried the Gretsch and it seems ok, nothing special, but still a really good guitar. Just not what I'm looking for at the moment.

The Ibanez is alright. It can do jangle-pop like nothing, but I had a hard time getting it to do 80's. It may be the way I eq'd the amp. IDK

So far its the Tele or Jag.

Also, I'm going to give a Laguna a try, since they have an ash body, that might be what i'm looking for. Who knows?

But are they gig-worthy quality?

We love you. God Bless.
Last edited by neptune1988 at Mar 8, 2009,