Poll: what 2x12 should I get?
Poll Options
View poll results: what 2x12 should I get?
marshall 1936 (old one when they were made out of wood)
4 15%
mesa
11 41%
9 33%
other (specify)
3 11%
Voters: 27.
Budget?
EDIT: Didnt see the poll
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Any reason you're specifically going with V30? I really like V30, but I think those amps sound fantastic with more balanced mid/upper mid speaker, like a greenback or H30. Even 75's, which I don't care for at all, sound pretty decent with that head. With a very strong midrange amp like a Marshall, sometimes the V30 have a tendency to almost wash out the midrange there is so much of it IME.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
Any reason you're specifically going with V30? I really like V30, but I think those amps sound fantastic with more balanced mid/upper mid speaker, like a greenback or H30. Even 75's, which I don't care for at all, sound pretty decent with that head. With a very strong midrange amp like a Marshall, sometimes the V30 have a tendency to almost wash out the midrange there is so much of it IME.

Well, right now I'm playing it through a 4x12 with v30s and I like it. Granted, I keep the treble low and the mids around noon, but it works for what I do, and when I play it through the 2x12 it will be stereo with a triple rec so it'll need to be bringing in tons of mids and highs. Also, my speaker options get limited running a 100 watt head into a 2x12. It's pretty much v30s or 75's, cause I don't really want cl80s or the ev12L's
Orange or Avatar. In Australia, they seem to be around the same price, so it's really just a brand-based decision.
But yeah. They're fantastic cabs.
Member of the Laney Cult
ahh, IC, makes sense. If you ever get the opportunity, try that head thru greenies or H30, it really brings out that swirling mid snarl and crunchy goodness.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
ahh, IC, makes sense. If you ever get the opportunity, try that head thru greenies or H30, it really brings out that swirling mid snarl and crunchy goodness.

I know, and I'd really like to, but I guess I go for a different tone and style of music than most and I do a weird combo of gear too. But it works for me.
Quote by Say Ocean
I know, and I'd really like to, but I guess I go for a different tone and style of music than most and I do a weird combo of gear too. But it works for me.

yeah, I'm not baggin on your setup, I personally think V30 are one of the best recording speakers made, and one of the friendliest to a variety of amps and styles. I've heard your tunes, I like how it's not the same generic stuff you hear everywhere. It's definitely working for you.

I'd probably go with the old marshall if they are easier to find up there. The old ones are some great sounding cabs.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Mar 8, 2009,
Orange 2x12s have been as good for me as Mesa - both nice cabs.

Also THD if the budget is there - where you are....Mesa though.
Quote by davedoom
Orange 2x12s have been as good for me as Mesa - both nice cabs.

Also THD if the budget is there - where you are....Mesa though.

orange cabs here rarer and more expensive than in the uk though
i wouldn't get the 1936, my mate has one and while his Valveking sounds good throught it my DSL2000 sounds AWFUL! thought it haha.
Quote by Say Ocean
orange cabs here rarer and more expensive than in the uk though

Yeah, noticed location - so corrected myself.
Quote by Zakk_Lp
i wouldn't get the 1936, my mate has one and while his Valveking sounds good throught it my DSL2000 sounds AWFUL! thought it haha.

Was it the old wood 1936 or the new mdf crap? And I'm assuming you tried it with 75's when I'd have v30s in it