in a few short months it will be my 16 and ill have been playing starter guitars for too long and want to upgrade to something with a little more "prestige." i just found the black gold and wanted to find out if anyone knew how it was. i've heard that dean was getting crappy with there workmanship. is this true for this guitar or just the lower models?
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
If you like/want a dean, get a DBZ, they're much more awesome =P
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
ive heard that one is really questionable. not alot of people say its worth it. and when i played it it was kinda crappy. plus i dont want anything really dime related. dean rips you for that ****. they put his name on it and raise the price, so its quality isnt that great.
Wait, are we talking about the same thing, you seem to be talking about a single guitar, I'm talking about DBZ guitars as a whole.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
theres an ML and a V. i dont like v shapes very much, and the ML is very shoddy.
www.dbzguitars.com
Dean's new company
More than just ML's and V's
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Ah. ok. didnt know he had a company yet. anyway, thanks but i was hoping for an ML shape.
They should have some, wont be exaclty the same. Just go to the Darkside of Dean (Although they'll probably cost a fortune, I reckon they're worth it)
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Yea. i just figured a higher model might have better build quality.
I've only played the Black Gold V and i didn't like the shape either, but it sounded outstanding. If the ML is even close to what the V was it's worth it. i got a silver burst that I put USA Exotic pickups in and got the tones, but it can get pricey. It was worth it to me.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
That's a really good playing guitar for the price. If it wasn't for the trans black finish I would probably have one already lol but I have a hard time keeping black guitars looking good on stage. They show up every single smudge and place you've touched the guitar under the lights
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
so the blck gold isnt one of Dean's BS rip offs? its actually worth it?
If it has the quality of any other ML I've handled, it is crap.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You know what? We ARE convincing him to buy an MG Stack. I mean, who wouldn't want the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, BRUTAL DISTORTION, BRUTALLY CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, and CRUSHINGLY BRUTAL DISTORTION, with built in digital effects!?
I own a pair of Deans- a Time Capsule Cadillac and an EVO Special Select- and I love them both.

I wouldn't buy ANY of the Dimes or any low-end Deans. There are better guitars for the price out there. Mid- to High-end Deans I'd stack up against anyone's.

I also wouldn't buy any of their "pointy" guitars at all, regardless of quality, for 2 reasons.

#1) The personal reason: I don't find pointy guitars comfortable to play, so I wouldn't buy ANYONE's pointy guitar.

#2) The general reason: economics. Pointy guitars are enjoying a resurgence in popularity as metal and hard rock rides towards the upper echelons of popular music again. This high demand means that guitar makers/retailers can charge a premium (or refuse to significantly discount) guitars with BRØØTAL body shapes. Compare the stats on guitars by any maker between pointies and more traditional designs and you'll probably find similarly equipped guitars for less money in the latter category.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
^ive never thought of it like that. thats a good point. im glad the one i want isnt a razorback.
ML's aren't really an extreme shape. It's just a cross between a Flying V and an explorer, which neither of them are considered extreme shapes today.

And the Black Gold Series isn't lumped with the Dime crap.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by dannyalcatraz

I also wouldn't buy any of their "pointy" guitars at all, regardless of quality, for 2 reasons.

#1) The personal reason: I don't find pointy guitars comfortable to play, so I wouldn't buy ANYONE's pointy guitar.

#2) The general reason: economics. Pointy guitars are enjoying a resurgence in popularity as metal and hard rock rides towards the upper echelons of popular music again. This high demand means that guitar makers/retailers can charge a premium (or refuse to significantly discount) guitars with BRØØTAL body shapes. Compare the stats on guitars by any maker between pointies and more traditional designs and you'll probably find similarly equipped guitars for less money in the latter category.

To reason 1;
How do you find pointy guitars uncomfortable? I find that warrior-style guitars are the most comfy to sit with, and are fine to stand with.

To reason 2;
Excellent analysis, although its arguable that a celebrity endorsement may add just as much to a guitars cost as a fancy body design.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You know what? We ARE convincing him to buy an MG Stack. I mean, who wouldn't want the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, BRUTAL DISTORTION, BRUTALLY CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, and CRUSHINGLY BRUTAL DISTORTION, with built in digital effects!?
Last edited by DEADwin at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by DEADwin
To reason 1;
How do you find pointy guitars uncomfortable? I find that warrior-style guitar are the most comfy to sit with, and are fine to stand with.

To reason 2;
Excellent analysis, although its arguable that a celebrity endorsement may add just as much to a guitars cost as a fancy body design.

Excellent points. I find that Razorbacks are really comfortable to play (except trying to play behind your head, that ONE point digs into your neck) since they're balanced so well
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Dimefan69
dude! those prices are outrageous. im not lookin for more than $750-$800.

He has great korean models in that price range. The Korean ones are excellent, Dean's chinese guitars are the ****ty ones
UG's Prodigal Son
so how could i tell if its korean or chinese?
The lower end Deans are made in China. These are the scum in the bottom of the bucket when it comes to Dean's lineup haha, this guitar (like the majority of their line) is made in Korea.

If you have the chance to play one before you buy this one, you'll see the high QC the factory has on these instruments. This is basically a fancy 79' Series ML, so try playing one of these if you can't find another Black Gold
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

yea. im gonna try and find one at guitar center. are they fairly new?
The Black Gold have been out for about 2 years, I think they are a limited run model but not positive. The 79' Series has been out for awhile though
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Is the '79 the same thing with a more basic paint job?
The Black Gold series has MOP block inlay, multi-ply binding (I've seen them with single ply also), metal knobs, gold hardware, covered humbuckers, and that cool trans black finish. The 79's have abalone dots, single ply binding, Gibson style knobs, chrome hardware, and open humbuckers.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60