How would I harmonize this?

e|-----------12-12-----------------12-12-----------------14-------------------|
B|-------13---------13---------13---------13---------13-------------------------|
G|---14-----------------14-12-----------------12-11------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Take the time to learn music theory so you can stop wasting our time.
Fear the Evil Chainsaw Wielding Penguin...
Excuse me wtbskill91, but the purpose of forums of this nature is so users can seek and deliver assistance, and coincide in such a nature. I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate being snobbed off if you were new to something. So perhaps we can shrug you off for being new to something called manners. Let's hope you develop some in time, eh?

To the threadstarter, as an earlier poster said, thirds are the most common and most likely harmonization to be used and work. As we see in major in minor chords, we have the root, and the third, and the fifth. For example, a C chord is made up of C (root), E (major third), and G (fifth). A Cm, however, would have a C (root) Eb (minor third), and the fifth (G). So all the notes are the same, except the minor third is a half step down from the major.

MAJOR - I III V
MINOR - I bIII V

In the case of C major, E is two steps from C

C C# (1/2) D (1) Eb (1 1/2) E (2)

Making it a major third.

In the case of C minor, the third, Eb, is one and a half steps away from the root.

C C# (1/2) D (1) Eb (1 1/2)

Making it a minor third.

So there's some theory covered, which may help you understand harmonization, and other practical theory. At least, I hope it's of some assistance. Some other users could probably explain much better, but if you like, you can hit me up any time if you'd like help.

To answer your earlier question, yes! All we do is go a third up from the note in scale degrees to form a third harmony. So determine your key, and work out the thirds, and you'll have a third harmony.

A fourth harmony would be four scale tones above the note, and a fifth is the renowned power chord.

I hope I've helped, and that you find a good result with your work. Keep on writing, and be sure to enjoy every moment of it.

Alex

EDIT: Here's the third harmony for you

E||----------16--16------------------16--16------------------18--------|
B||------17----------17----------17----------17----------17------------|
G||--17------------------17--16------------------16--14----------------|
D||--------------------------------------------------------------------|
A||--------------------------------------------------------------------|
E||--------------------------------------------------------------------|

Oh, and as a side note, please don't get too caught up using straight third harmonies like so many others. Sometimes it's the right thing to do, but many other times there are alternatives which are subconsciously avoided due to the formula of thirds being ingrained in your intentions.
Ideally, try to experiment with different harmonies, layering multiple melodies on top of each other for harmonic values and dynamic values, and so on. It's really much more worthwhile to experiment - there's fun in doing so, and even more when you obtain some worthwhile results.
Last edited by juckfush at Mar 8, 2009,
Yeah Ive already heard that, that if use to much it doesnt as special. Its like a band I listen to, Misery Signals, they barley have harmonys, I think? More like counter melodies
Quote by Brendan.Pivin
So third note after the note im doing of that scale? Sorry ha

It's cool, it's kinda confusing. I barely get it as it is. But say you're doing say, this;

G Harmonic Minor (practice)
      E   E   E   E   E   E   E   E      E   E   E   E   E   E   Q              
E||----------------------------------|--------------------------------|-------||
B||----------------------------------|--------------------------------|-------||
G||----------------------------------|--------------------------------|-------||
D||--------------------------16--17--|--16----------------------------|-------||
A||--------------15--17--18----------|------18--17--15----------------|-------||
E||--15--17--18----------------------|------------------18--17--15----|-------|| 

This would harmonise with it I believe. I'm still learning this so might be completely off and a moron.

G Harmoinc Minor Practice 4ths
      E   E   E   E   E   E   E   E      E   E   E   E   E   E   Q              
E||--------------------------------------|--------------------------------|-------||
B||--------------------------------------|--------------------------------|-------||
G||----------------------14--15--17--|--15--14------------------------|-------||
D||--------------16--17---------------|-----------17--16----------------|-------||
A||--15--17--18----------------------|---------------------18--17--15----|-------||
E||--------------------------------------|--------------------------------|-------|| 

Basically what (think) you want to do is more three, four, five, whatever notes up in the scale you're playing when you play the same note. ie for this example, it goes from 15-17-18 on E, and harmonizes with 15-17-18 on A.

edit: disregard this, juckfish's is infintely more useful :P
Last edited by GordianKn0t at Mar 8, 2009,