Page 1 of 2

Skepticism creates music consisting of dark and beautiful atmospheres. The music is generally categorized as doom-metal or funeral-doom. Skepticism is frequently considered as one of the pioneers of the funeral doom metal genre. Skepticism was originally formed in 1991 and no line-up changes have taken place since 1993.

2008's "Alloy" was excellent incredible beyond imagination. Heavy use of keyboards, typically utilizing the organ and perhaps more upbeat and hopeful than other funeral doom, as far as Alloy goes at least - it's also strangely the most gloomy funeral doom band next to Thergothon that I've heard heard. The other albums are absolutely essential. I really recommend Lead and Aether, though they're all superb. For fans of Ahab, Swallow the Sun, Agalloch, Mournful Congregation, Esoteric and Thergothon.

Official site: http://www.skepticism.fi/

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/officialskepticism
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Mar 6, 2010,
Yay, ololololol f1rst!!!

In all seriousness, these guys are fairly beautiful. the kind of stuff that cuts right to the heart of human emotion, and just rips you apart until you weep to yourself.

10/10
This is really good sounding.

Album recc?
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Lead and Aether is an excellent starting point. I recently listened to Alloy. Had I known it existed, it would have easily been in my top 10 of 2008.
I've found Jesus
There are people who have not heard if these guys?

Whats next.. not knowing Thergothon?
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Great band indeed, great influence for me and Kreator's band, also.

We are... personal friends

He actually showed me the site after he got banned.
Quote by VampireGoldfish
There are people who have not heard if these guys?

That's the first thing I thought too.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
I also recommend Metallica.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Great band, really remind me of Pantheist in some parts.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Quote by AltarsOfMadness
Stormcrowfleet is one of the most atmospheric albums ever. ****ing love this band.

I have listened to that album countless times. It's close to perfect as far as atmospheric funeral doom goes.

The perfect mood creator while driving in the dark. And since I live so far up in the north, there are only a few hours of daylight per day during wintertime, and long distances to drive. Which makes this album perfect.
Last edited by Guitarmike123 at Mar 8, 2009,
finally got Stormcrowfleet. Yessss
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Lead & Aether was an awesome release!The organ is so haunting in The Organium
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Last time I heard em I was thoroughly bored, but I'll listen to Stormcrowfleet again I suppose.
Glance into my eyes
and see the darkest shadows dancing
Playing in the desert of my life
Burning, -
and my soul is descending...

The arrival is a ****ing epic song
If I stay too quiet
I can hear her walking by
Death cold air is moving
Like the touch of her hand

ikuisesti hallussa surua,
pienentynyt enkeli, ottaa minuun,
johtaa minut tämän arvokkaan valoa,
ja ikuiseen pimeyteen.
Bump because Lead and Aether is an incredible slab of some of the moodiest funeral doom out there. I still haven't heard Farmakon, but the other albums are cash.
I've found Jesus
surely there would have been an older thread on these guys than 09??

monolith band though; with such simple means, such moving music...

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Contraband
Bump because Lead and Aether is an incredible slab of some of the moodiest funeral doom out there. I still haven't heard Farmakon, but the other albums are cash.

yeh I'm missing that one too

Sumdeus
Wayne Brady is going to have to choke a bitch. I swear to god, there are times when you want to strangle somebody across your screen and then there are times when you want to strangle somebody across your screen.

Although the MA reviews were filled with fans and most albums boasted a 95+ avg, they certainly weren't fanboys and were relatively objective in their descriptions of the music.

But this..... http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=12936

Makes me rage.
I've found Jesus
Quote by a friggin' idiot
I have never “understood” funeral doom metal in the slightest, maybe because it’s so boring that my mind can’t process the doldrums

person should obviously not listen to the genre, let alone write a review on a funeral doom band. I won't waste my time reading any more besides that first sentence.

Sumdeus
Quote by Contraband
Wayne Brady is going to have to choke a bitch. I swear to god, there are times when you want to strangle somebody across your screen and then there are times when you want to strangle somebody across your screen.

Although the MA reviews were filled with fans and most albums boasted a 95+ avg, they certainly weren't fanboys and were relatively objective in their descriptions of the music.

But this..... http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=12936

Makes me rage.

I'm glad you haven't seen one of the "Watching From a Distance"reviews that was on MA...

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Someone bashed Warning?

I kind of want to go check just to see what negative things anyone could possibly come up with about them.

edit: just looked it up, that has got to be a troll. no way could that be serious.

Sumdeus
Last edited by romencer17 at Mar 3, 2010,
I'd post the review but it is, after all, a Skepticism thread. So I'll proceed to fellate Alloy and redirect all other enquiries to the Warning reviews... Needless to say I'd say Caspian's screams would be fitting to a Stalaggh album.

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
I'm glad you haven't seen one of the "Watching From a Distance"reviews that was on MA...

Oh, but I have. Yet, the guy still managed to give them a rather generous 20%, which really confused me.
I've found Jesus
I guess those 20% is for the "good marketing"...

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
I guess those 20% is for the "good marketing"...

Oh, that's right. Because marketing value is worth giving 20% for as opposed to the actual music. And because Watching from a Distance will "sell like hotcakes"...

mmm....cakes....
I've found Jesus
I've only heard Lead and Aether which has only had a few spins. It's cool. Good to get stoned with or go to sleep with. Majestic atmosphere.
Quote by romencer17
person should obviously not listen to the genre, let alone write a review on a funeral doom band. I won't waste my time reading any more besides that first sentence.

My thoughts exactly. What a waste of time for him to continue typing after making the statement that he doesn't "understand" the genre. His opinion holds absolutely no weight whatsoever.
Useless bump for being terribly under discussed.

Does anyone actually enjoy a healthy does of awe-inspiring atmosphere in the night?

Skepticism have mastered painting a vivid scenery that basks in the solemnity of a constant autumnal beat. Always resounding in the majesty of the organic and melancholy echo of nature. They are one of the few along with dISEMBOWELMENT, Thergothon and Esoteric that manage the task of keeping the listener attentive for incredibly long periods of time. They make the transitions as a logical part of a narrative that their simplicity breeds, utilizing space to make for a captivating experience each time.

It's as if the music is safe according to the pace, but the content is often romantic in nature, and in the case of Skepticism, alive enough not to be buried into the background, allowing the listener to remain alert.

Turn off your lights, lie somewhere comfortable and forget about the minutiae that you face on a day to day basis. Instead imagine yourself as part of a bigger whole, part of matter, time and space. And then put on Stormcrowfleet and float on the sonic waves.
I've found Jesus
I still need to give Stormcrowfleet a thorough listen, I've only heard it a couple times and wasn't fully immersed.
Alloy and Lead And Aether are fantastic though.

Sumdeus
Make sure you listen to 1997's Ethere EP, which has an interesting and altogether rawer version of the masterful 'March and the Stream'.
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at Sep 18, 2010,
After bingeing on the early material,i finally started on Alloy.I must say,this is absolutely brilliant work,the melodies are so rich and build off each other in such a powerful and hypnotic way.I'm not even sure what kind of emotional response i'm getting from this,It's like watching the cosmos form in slow motion.
Quote by Steve08

getting on a doom kick, think I'll give Alloy a listen as all I have is Lead & Aether
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
I got Stormcrowfleet the other day. It's an Incredible album. I'll certainly be looking into them more.

Out of interest though, does anyone know what the cover of Stormcrowfleet actually is? I've heard a few people suggest Dinosaurs, I thought I could see people in it, but I'm not sure.
I'm not to sure,all i know is that Alloy is easily the most well written funeral doom album in exsistence.
Quote by Steve08

It's just supposed to be nightmare-ish.

Looks like a dinosaur, and chances are it is. I really have no idea though.
It's a crow shot at a weird angle.........
Quote by Steve08

Page 1 of 2