I am an avid believer that you don't need these things to learn, you can do perfectly by yourself, and if your going to be taking lessons then it probably wont even be beneficial.

P.S. Most of these "systems" are bull**** anyways.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
those things are spread everywhere in the internet, sometimes for free, and other times you've gotta pay.
what they tell you there, probably is already written somewhere in this website.

and no, sophist, you can do OK/GOOD by yourself. not perfectly well. a teacher will do you wonders. believe me, i know it.

and of course, thread starter, i mean a 'real' teacher. one who you'd meet personally for lessons.
For Technique, a good guitar teacher is the best, there's no doubt about it, and only makes sense.

He listens to ur playing and spots mistakes. even if he doesn't recognize all the mistakes, 2 ears have more chance of 1. You will hear ur playing anyway, 2nd opinion is naturally always good.

Songwriting, and guitarplaying as in coming up with riffs and licks can be totally done by urself, cause creativity can't be learned.

It can however be stimulated by a teacher, but whether or not you come up with cool stuff is all up to you.

Technique is not a matter of opinion.

The only opinion in technique lies whether you find something creative enough or like enough to consider it acceptable if the technique is not perfect.

Technique itself is objective, if you play out of time, you play out of time, if you don't you don't.

If playing slightly out of time is aesthetically nicer(maybe find it more human) for whatever reason, then it's fine. IT doesn't make the technique good.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 8, 2009,