What are your opinions on the Peavey Windsor half stack amplifiers? I know they are geared more towards a British voiced style but I'm not entirely sure as as to how they really are quality wise. Do they hold up well? What are some of the bands that sit well with this amp? I'd assume it takes pedals alright. Basically guys, i need a brief and general rundown on this amp.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
they have a very jagged tone, and would probably be good for a classic rock cover group, but could be made more flexible via a warm od box
Its pretty hard to get cleans out of it. I've heard from some posts on here that its cab kinda sucks. No reports of reliability issues though. And apparently when cranked its marshally. Most would recommend saving up for a better amp tho.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Quote by guitarsftw
they have a very jagged tone, and would probably be good for a classic rock cover group, but could be made more flexible via a warm od box

Would it be possible, with a gain pedal or something of the sort, to get a decent old rja tone or a soad tone? I know this isn't the amp for that but i found an extremely good deal on this amp and i don't want to pass it up if i can get the tones i need out of it.
Quote by alexpalka23
Would it be possible, with a gain pedal or something of the sort, to get a decent old rja tone or a soad tone? I know this isn't the amp for that but i found an extremely good deal on this amp and i don't want to pass it up if i can get the tones i need out of it.

No... I know you are looking at it because it's cheap and it's got tubes. A solid state head will get you those SOAD tones better than the windsor. Don't try to make this amp into something it's not. I love peavey more than any other amp company. But the winsor is garbage man. I hate spider line 6's amps.... But I'd honestly play one of those over a winsor easily.
How good is this deal?
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Quote by hcsn2008
But the winsor is garbage man.

The Windsor was made to do one tone well, and it does that one tone well, which is '70s and early '80s British-flavored rock 'n' roll, as well as distorted electric blues.

It's mostly a one-trick pony, and if you want something versatile, you shouldn't get it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by hcsn2008
No... I know you are looking at it because it's cheap and it's got tubes. A solid state head will get you those SOAD tones better than the windsor. Don't try to make this amp into something it's not. I love peavey more than any other amp company. But the winsor is garbage man. I hate spider line 6's amps.... But I'd honestly play one of those over a winsor easily.

alright, well then what do you have to suggest? i just need something that can play with a live band ( it can always be mic'd if it needs to be). i want something that can achieve those tones i mentioned before though. so, suggest away!
Quote by Greenwood991
How good is this deal?

He probably is getting a good deal. These things are cheap as hell man because they suck. You can actually find used ones for like 90 bucks! A new one cost 399 WITH THE CAB. The entire half stack is 400 bucks. I mean it sucks they can't even sell them at these prices. They are trying to get rid of them.
Quote by Greenwood991
How good is this deal?

200 for the head and i already have a cab to run it through thanks to my current rig.
Quote by alexpalka23
alright, well then what do you have to suggest? i just need something that can play with a live band ( it can always be mic'd if it needs to be). i want something that can achieve those tones i mentioned before though. so, suggest away!

For 450 bucks you can have a tube vypyr. EASILY will get you these tones you want. The 6505 model sounds dead on and it has a mesa recitifer that sounds damn good. The cleans are amazing and has virtually every stompbox and rack effect you would want.

It has a tube power amp that is all tube.. no solid state. Same one as the 6505 too. The pre amp has one tube and the rest is solid state but you can not tell it.

Now if you want a full tube amp with no solid state in the preamp you will have to pay more. To get the tones you want you need a high gain amp. the bugera amps cost around 500 and 600 and will get you the tones but they are built like crap so I wouldn't go there.

For around 899 you can find new peavey 6505's on ebay stores. This is what most of the bands you listen to probably use... chimaira, unearth, bullet for my valentine, all that remains, trivium.. A ton of bands use them.

But with the vypyr like I said it's much cheaper and you get the same power amp from the 6505 and the preamp hits it dead on. It's also REALLY loud. You'll get over a drummer easily.
Yeah, the Vypyr tube 120h.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Yeah, the Vypyr tube 120h.

i'm not a big fan of the vypyr actually... *raises flame shield*
Quote by alexpalka23
i'm not a big fan of the vypyr actually... *raises flame shield*

Have you played the tube version? I'm not a fan of the ss either. Doesn't have the real tube power amp and feel.

But needless to say.. If you don't like the vypyr you DEFINITELY will not like the windsor. It's not even close.
Quote by hcsn2008
Have you played the tube version? I'm not a fan of the ss either. Doesn't have the real tube power amp and feel.

But needless to say.. If you don't like the vypyr you DEFINITELY will not like the windsor. It's not even close.

yeah, i have really only played the SS version. that's probably why i'm a little biased towards them. i just don't know what i want at all though. i've tried about 50 different amps from many different companies within my buget (500-600 at the very most right now) and i can't seem to find one that suits me or feels right for some reason.
Quote by alexpalka23
yeah, i have really only played the SS version. that's probably why i'm a little biased towards them. i just don't know what i want at all though. i've tried about 50 different amps from many different companies within my buget (500-600 at the very most right now) and i can't seem to find one that suits me or feels right for some reason.

Try the tube version. It sounds more like the real thing it models. The all tube power amp makes a huge difference. For 500-600 really it's hard to find any better in the high gain tube amp territory.
ok so now there $400 on musicians friend, worth it?
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
Quote by Raijouta
The Windsor was made to do one tone well, and it does that one tone well, which is '70s and early '80s British-flavored rock 'n' roll, as well as distorted electric blues.

It's mostly a one-trick pony, and if you want something versatile, you shouldn't get it.

Exactly right, I just sold mine.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Get both of what gregs said. Yea, you have a cab, but the avatar will sound a lot better than your spider cab.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Greenwood991
How good is this deal?

The price looks good, but you get what you pay for. I can't comment on the head since I don't have a whole lot of experience with it, but I do know the cabs are crap. Cheap construction with crappy jacks.