Just as the topic suggests this is something I am wondering. I am more into covering music than making my own right now and I was wondering which one of these pedals would be more able to cover music.

Pretty much are more songs played with an envelope filter or a wah pedal?

Also while we are at it could you guys tell me if these are as good as they look?

Crybaby Bass Wah 105Q Pedal
http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=272&pmh=products/p_and_e_detail

MXR Bass Auto Q
http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=products/pip&id=256
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
I'd say a wah. Tons of songs are played with a wah. A wah is cool. A wah is good. Wah wah wah.
I actually use my envelope filter a lot more than my wah. The mere fact that it's easier to use translates into it getting a lot more use.

If you're covering music ver batem, then you might listen to the guys above, but if you're trying to put your own touch on it, you can add envelope filter to sections of a lot of songs with great success while wah might be a little less usable.
A wah is more controllable, and is good for adding a bit of variation, while an envelope filter is better if you want that juicy, liquid funk sound.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
It's really for what you're playing. One song is particular that blows me away with EF is 21st Century by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Quote by rockonth
Why don't they just send 4chan to Iraq if they're so good at these so called "raids"?

Quote by entity0009
I once got hit by a flying wig. Either it was a wig or someone was headbanging far too hard.
The MXR Auto-Q is fantastic for creating really funky sounds, as it has an osscilator and an envelope filter, and you can blend in the dry signal. However, they're not desperately practical. On a record, or in a gig, you'd use it maybe once, unless you featured it as part of your normal tone in say a funk band.

Wah-wahs however have much more use in soloing or bridge-type sections. Think Tim Commerford of RATM on Bulls On Parade, or indeed Tom Morello on the same song. Unfortunately, I use a Morley Dual Bass Wah, which has an Envelope Filter in it rather than the Dunlop. I would however recommend it as a cool wah, even if the filter isnt exceptional.

But the Auto-Q is great fun. I would upload some soundbites, but alas, Im in India, away from my basses.
thanks for the tip
Quote by DempseyPunk
I thought i saw jesus doing the same thing. He wasnt disguised as a hobo though, he just looked like jesus. He asked me for about tree fiddy. Then it hit me. It wasnt no jesus, it was that god dam loch ness monster.
Quote by the_underling
The MXR Auto-Q is fantastic for creating really funky sounds, as it has an osscilator and an envelope filter, and you can blend in the dry signal. However, they're not desperately practical. On a record, or in a gig, you'd use it maybe once, unless you featured it as part of your normal tone in say a funk band.

Wah-wahs however have much more use in soloing or bridge-type sections. Think Tim Commerford of RATM on Bulls On Parade, or indeed Tom Morello on the same song. Unfortunately, I use a Morley Dual Bass Wah, which has an Envelope Filter in it rather than the Dunlop. I would however recommend it as a cool wah, even if the filter isnt exceptional.

But the Auto-Q is great fun. I would upload some soundbites, but alas, Im in India, away from my basses.

So you would recommend the Auto-Q for an envelope filter? Just wondering because I was looking into purchasing one, but I'm fairly new with effects, so I'm not really sure what's good or bad. If there are other envelope filters that you think I should look into, please let me know. Thanks
Wah is more useful. With an envelope filter you'll often say I wish I had a wah.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Wah is more useful. With an envelope filter you'll often say I wish I had a wah.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I like Wahs because you can control where the Peak is in your playing. And also there's something about the tone of a 1/4's tilted Wah pedal that I love in Intro and Solo sections.

With an envelope filter you sort of always get a wah sound throughout your playing, of course you can control the intensity of the Peak through your attack. It isn't the same.
Ibanez SR505

EBS MultiComp
BOSS GEB-7

Ampeg SVT 4-Pro
Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by slaptasticdave

Actually, I find envelope filter much easier to use. As I generally concentrate on my playing, I find my dynamics are easier to control than my foot. Depends on the tone you are looking for though.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
A wah pedal is essentially a pedal-modulated tone knob. The depth, frequency, and speed at which you sweep across the tonal range is controlled by your foot, which is easy enough to master.

An envelope filter is sometimes called an auto-wah because once you set those attributes the stomp box requires no further input—it sweeps according to your selected settings the same way every time. Adjusting those settings is typically simple, as long as you're in between songs.

Unless you're willing to fiddle with those settings during a performance, you're committed to the same settings in every tune. You'll find the biggest drawback to be the creeping influence your selected sweep frequency can exert on your tempo. Because of this you'll end up using the envelope filter less often than you would a wah pedal, even though the stomp box is far easier to use.

You don't want the wah effect in every song anyway, but you can use a wah pedal as you would a volume pedal--select the level you want and leave it there. I wouldn't say my envelope filter is useless by comparison—it makes a great battery donor.
Last edited by vaffangool at Jun 10, 2014,