i'm totaly new to trying to learn how to play the guitar, and I think I'm way out of my league here. I've tryed all there " teach your self / learn how to play the guitar lessons" and nothing works for me!! Unfortunatly i don't have the money to pay somone to teach me. So I was just woundering if anyone had any ideas to help me out? I'm open to any and all segestions that anyone might have for me.

Thanks
--{dragonboy}--

ways to contact me;
e-amil: braveboy_272006@yahoo.com
aim: cdragonboys
myspace url: myspace.com/brave_boy
Last edited by cdragonboys at Mar 8, 2009,
do what you want to do. play what you want to play. just riff around; try to write songs with what you make up, little by little.
Ibanez RG5EX1
Epiphone SG-400

Line 6 Spider II 112 - 75w

Monster
BOSS
Dunlop

i really haven't picked up anything... i've been monkeying around with the tabs to simple man, walk, seether, bush, and rush tabs but the only thing i even come close to playing is the first 0-2-3 to simple man...

but thats basicly it
--{dragonboy}--
Quote by cdragonboys
i really haven't picked up anything... i've been monkeying around with the tabs to simple man, walk, seether, bush, and rush tabs but the only thing i even come close to playing is the first 0-2-3 to simple man...

but thats basicly it
--{dragonboy}--

Its gonna sound cliche of me but get started with the old standards for beginners smoke on the water, iron man, smells like teen spirit. Hearing yourself play a song should motivate you to keep going I learn a song every once in a while just to keep morale up.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Yeah expanding on my above post basically hearing yourself play a song shows you how much practicing those things you thought were stupid or pointless like scales and basic chords really are important. You also see how much your playing has improved when you learn new songs. I just learned sweet child o mine this week and I always thought when I first started that I would never be able to play something like that but now I can and it makes me excited every time I think about the song I want to play it now.
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
ok so maybe you guys can help me with my bigest problem... finger placement
e.x.

i cant seem to figure out how to play somthing like that ... does it matter how close i get too the fret bar??
There are some great lessons, all free, right here on UG. Some of the members have free video lessons.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by cdragonboys
e.x.

i cant seem to figure out how to play somthing like that ... does it matter how close i get too the fret bar??

Yeah you want to get as close to the back side as possible
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by cdragonboys
e.x.

as close as you can get to it, without actually touching it. if you are more towards the middle, you can actually push too hard and make the tone slightly sharp, particularly on scalloped fretboards. Wouldn't worry about that this year though
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

Personally I'd use my index finger for the '2' and my middle and ring fingers for the '3's, that said a lot of people like to barre things like those 3s so it comes down to personal preference I think. Experiment and see what works for you (Btw, sorry that was described so lamely, I wasn't sure what strings the tab was on so I couldn't use notes :p)
Quote by millerdrr
There are some great lessons, all free, right here on UG. Some of the members have free video lessons.

are there any that you would recomend??
Quote by firesprite
Personally I'd use my index finger for the '2' and my middle and ring fingers for the '3's, that said a lot of people like to barre things like those 3s so it comes down to personal preference I think. Experiment and see what works for you (Btw, sorry that was described so lamely, I wasn't sure what strings the tab was on so I couldn't use notes :p)

i think i get it.. but just to make sure lets use smells like teen spirit.. the opening is

D-3--3-3-XXXX
A-3--3-3-XXXX
E-1--1-1-XXXX

how would you play it??
and when you say barre you mean use onr finger on both the 3 cords right??
Quote by cdragonboys
i think i get it.. but just to make sure lets use smells like teen spirit.. the opening is

D-3--3-3-XXXX
A-3--3-3-XXXX
E-1--1-1-XXXX

how would you play it??
and when you say barre you mean use onr finger on both the 3 cords right??

I'd use my index finger on the F, my middle finger on the C and my ring finger on the F. If you wanted to barre it you could use your middle or ring finger to fret both the C & F (I don't because I have quite small hands and I find it easier to try and fret everything individually...). You could also change the middle/ring finger combination to a ring finger/pinky if you wanted to. Experiment with what works for you. If it was me though I'd ignore the barring atm and just try to fret it normally
By barring he means that you place your finger flat across both the 3's
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by firesprite
I really should mention in my sig or something that I'm a girl... :p

Omg sorry I assume everyone on the web is a guy until im told otherwise
Ibanez RG7321
Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by Lethal Dosage

Omg sorry I assume everyone on the web is a guy until im told otherwise

It's ok, I find it amusing! I actually kinda prefer going 'stealth' cause then I don't get the 'OMG a girl!!' response...

I have considered collecting quotes of people referring to me as a guy and setting them up in my sig

Edit: And because you like 80s rock/metal (particularly the not so obvious stuff!) I'll let you off the hook
Last edited by firesprite at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by cdragonboys
are there any that you would recomend??

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/guide_to_guitar__part_1__basics_and_open_chords.html This is a very basic intro

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/first_chord_lesson.html Stepped up a bit, this is the open chord shapes

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/chords/chords_everything_you_need_to_know.html This is a more in-depth look at different types of chords and covers a bit of theory. It'll take some time on this one.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/how_to_read_tablature.html This one is a good place to start to understand tablature, so you can start playing your favorite songs right away. A warning, though: plenty of tab on the web is inaccurate, so if something doesn't sound right, check another version. Don't automatically assume its you. The ratings system on UG tabs helps show which ones are pretty good.

I found a lot of lessons, but maybe I misspoke when I said there were loads of good lessons on here. I'll write some this week. The Stickies in each of the forums have better info than the lessons section. Been several years since I dug through the cache.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95

Quote by Basti95

And of course -> Go to youtube and search for "Guitar lesson" and you'll find alot of good stuff
The first thing I would learn would be the basic chords: A, C, D, E, F, and G (skip B for now, it's a barre chord and can be difficult). Then a few variations on those chords that are also pretty easy: Am, Dm, Dm7, Em.

Then learn some simple songs using just those basic chords. Hurt by Johnny Cash is pretty simple to play, and sounds pretty good. Basically I would just search the tab archive for songs that you like and find ones that look pretty easy to play. That's how I started.
I know this is an older thread and you have received answers, but I think you are just trying to be "good" too quickly. A lot of us have the mentality that if we can't play a song or riff the same day we start, we stick and have no chance. It may take days, weeks, even months to get something that seems simple to others down.

It really depends on how much patience and dedication you have. Keep at it man, don't get down.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
sit down and write what you want to be able to do on guitar and make plans how to get there. Also learn the whole song.