I am more than likely going to be a rythem guitarist. What are some good songs to learn. My Dad suggested Pink Floyd songs. And I think the first song I am going to learn "Horse With No Name." (2 chords E minor D6) But I was wondering if anyone new some metal songs (slower ones are better than faster ones I am a real beginner). Plz and ty.
Doom metal?? (it's slow!)

Seriously, don't necessarily think of difficulty in terms of song speed, given enough time you can always get something up to speed. Imo classic rock (AC/DC, Rolling Stones etc.) is better for getting a good rhythm grounding but if you're really into metal maybe look at some easier Metallica riffs (Enter Sandman etc.) work on them slow and then start to slowly bring them up to speed
I would recommend songs with chords. You will learn...chords. You will also learn lots of different strumming patterns. Songs I would recommend are:
Numb - Linkin Park
Complicated - Avril Lavigne
Nobody's Home - Avril Lavigne
Wonderwall - Oasis
Yellow - Coldplay
Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) - GreenDay
Boulevard of Broken Dreams - My Chemical Romance

You will learn a bunch of strumming patterns for each of those.
Last edited by Chaos Nil at Mar 8, 2009,
i'd be careful about declaring yourself a rhythm guitarist too early. Personally I prefer rhythm work and have been told I'm pretty good at it but until recently I always considered it my weaker side. Just play for fun and see where it goes.
rhythm
███████████████████████████████████
Thanks guys.

Well With being a rythem guitarist you don't need another person to jam.

I think ill skip the Avril songs. but Ill give those a try Ill look for the tabs here keep them coming tho
With metal songs you can't go wrong with some Metallica as they have the daddy of rythm guitarist within their ranks, James Hetfield, you could start out with something like Enter Sandman, maybe?
Go eat some flowers in your bathroom...
Quote by JimmyJuinor
I am more than likely going to be a rythem guitarist. What are some good songs to learn. My Dad suggested Pink Floyd songs. And I think the first song I am going to learn "Horse With No Name." (2 chords E minor D6) But I was wondering if anyone new some metal songs (slower ones are better than faster ones I am a real beginner). Plz and ty.

You're not going to be "a rhythm guitarist"....you're just going to be a guitarist.

Rhythm and lead aren't predetermined roles, they just describe the parts played in a song, not the person that palys them. Basic rhythm technique tends to be easier, and it's also far more useful than basic lead technique - that's why it's what people tend to start with. #

There's not really any "easy" metal songs either - metal is by it's very nature a bit faster and more complicated than anything suitable for an absolute beginner.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com