hello. Recently, i've found it necessary to buy new strings for my brother's acoustic -- they've been in there since... we got the guitar a year ago. Mean while, i wanted to jam a bit at a party, and i decided i should get new strings for my strat, since i'd have an audience. here came the problems:

-- For my strat, the strings are taking forever to get in tune. I couldn't really get to a guitarcenter or anywhere where i could get some better-known strings.

I bought some strings by Caraya, a company based in China. . . They're the same gauge as my the super EXL's (I think that's them) that I've been using.

The G-string feels really tight, and its 'popped' and gotten all loose while tuning it once. It's off by two steps and its tight.

The B and E strings take a bit to tune, and they tune slowly. Sometimes, even after turning a step or two and letting them sit for an hour, they don't change pitch when i tighten them. The E string is off a whole octave and it feels pretty tight. Both the B and E strings have made a popping noise and loosened up along the tuning process.

I'm not entirely keen on tuning strings ; normally, I would remove all the strings, one by one, but within a few minutes, and then retune with all the strings together. But this time, I decided to replace each string one by one.

--

i hope i'm not asking for much, but these problems are the worst ive had in changing strings. What could be the reason why the strings are having such a hard time tuning? How should I treat the problem now, and how should i tune it next time ( i've read the stickies, but a bit more advice would be greatly appreciated)?

thanks in advance :]
Are you tuning to the right note? If you're accidentily trying to tune your guitar to an F or F# instead of an E you might have the problems you're talking about. The popping you describe could either be the strings slipping a little on the posts at the headstock or shifting position in the bridge, neither is cause for concern however you do want to make sure that your strings wrap around the posts of the machine heads several times, don't put the string through the little hole and pull it tight before winding it on to the machine head, make sure there's a bit of slack and then start winding so the string wraps around the post 3-4 times for the heavier strings and even 5-6 times for your thinner strings, that helps to stop slipping and can help to ensure that the string changes pitch fairly consistantly as you tighten/loosten the string. Also as the guy above has said, new strings do take a while to stretch in and settle down. Try playing it a bunch with a fairly heavy right hand and lots of bends and you'll find they start to stay in tune better.
Hope that helps
Last edited by Waylanderau at Mar 8, 2009,
its coming out better after i bash them around. thanks :] and i always thought to not wind them around that much :\
well. the only real problems were strings slipping... and the fact that i overshot the tuning and went way too high. i've been playing for a year and some. oh my. i should just quit.

thanks a lot for the help. i've learned stuff none the less :]
Quote by methusalah2
well. the only real problems were strings slipping... and the fact that i overshot the tuning and went way too high. i've been playing for a year and some. oh my. i should just quit.
thanks a lot for the help. i've learned stuff none the less :]

Dude, one bad re-string does not mean you should give up playing guitar! If you really don't want to re-string or find it too frustrating you go to your nearest guitar shop and pay them to change the strings for you

Are you using a tuner or doing it by ear? If you're having trouble tuning by ear, particularly if you think it's causing these problems, maybe try 'downgrading' to an electronic tuner until you get the hang of it.
Last edited by firesprite at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by methusalah2
and the fact that i overshot the tuning and went way too high.

I though that might be your problem Seriously though, don't stress dude, it takes time to work all this stuff out. Heh, I remember the first time I had to re-string a guitar with a floyd rose, I think I dicked around with it for a couple of hours before I worked out you're supposed to cut the balls off the strings