Page 1 of 3
Every time that I'm on here, I hear about how horrible Line 6 Spider III's are, and there are a lot of other things that UG hates for some reason. I played a Spider III and I didn't think that it sounded that bad.

I saw a thread a while back asking if Squires were as bad as we make them out to be, and the general consensus was no. Are Marshall MG's and Line 6 Spider III's really as bad as people say and why?
We say bad things about things because they're bad. Spider's sound shrill and digital, MG's sound, well, I can't put it mildly, and I don't want to get too vulgar.

As for the Squiers, frankly I think except for the gems of the Vintage Modified and vintage vibe series', the Squiers are as bad as we say.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I've got a Squier and it's good to learn on but if you wanted to record something or perform with it you'd have to be crazy, but it's not like a song sounds unrecognisable on it, main problem is it wont stay in tune, you can set it up right but it always loses the setting, push down on some frets and the strings buzz a bit against the next fret up. you get what you pay for though, if you buy a gibson you pay just for the name, squier's not really a name you have to pay for though. and another thing ultimate guitar hates - Fall Out Boy ugggghh theres a reason we hate everything we do
Line 6's are generally known for being under average quality. Because of the fact that this opinion was stresses very hard on a bunch of impressionable internet goers. The idea spread so quickly, it almost became a fad to hate Line 6. In fact, that brand along with Marshal MG's, are used as memes now. Patterns like this can be seen everywhere, for many different topics. I know many people who love Line 6's, including myself. For something reguarding this, I would just trust your own instincts and learn to trust good advice.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I guess some of it's to do with the "bandwagon", but some gear actually is bad, and people post hoping to get others to avoid purchasing that, which i guess is a good thing.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Well, the brand hate like squier is ridiculous. most people get squiers as first guitars and either get the starter pack models, which actually do generally suck (the same applies for most brands though), or they just have no idea how to set up a guitar, can't play it, ordered off the net and got a dodgy one, just are clueless as to how to get the most out of it. So they think the brand sucks, based on one guitar or their inability to use it properly.

The fact is that with a good setup and replacement of some dodgy hardware, if a guitar is well made, from good quality wood, which some squiers are, any guitar can be great.

The same goes for BC rich, Dean, Epiphone, all the other brands that i see people bashing.

Line 6 also get bashed as a brand simply because the spider series sucks. Generally, if it's a whole brand that people are knocking though, just ignore it. If it's a specific model, it's usually correct - though moreso with amplifiers and pedals than with guitars, as occasionally you find a diamond in the rough, such as my Epiphone Les Paul Junior - lovely to play, acoustically a very good sounding instrument, let down by shoddy hardware and electronics, but other Juniors i've played have been piss-poor. I swear, if i replace the tuners, nut, and electronics, i'll have an incredible guitar for an incredible price.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
The spiders and the MG's are BRILLIANT home practise amps, to be quite honest, but the UG Bandwagon hate them all the time.

Add to the list : BC Rich, Dean, Dragonforce
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
I've tried out the the MG and I think it is way overpriced for what you get as for the Line 6 I think it is an okay amp the modelling aren't as good as some of it's competiors but the effects are all right atleast.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Roland Microcube is a pretty damn good practice amp. Better tone than the others I've heard.
Going against the bandwagon is the latest bandwagon on UG.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Yup bandwagon. You gotta remember the majority of people here are pretty young and do not have the experience or the money to own or have owned a lot of products. One person says Line 6 sucks, the others go into a store and hear some guy on a Line 6 who cranks the dist. and hop on the bandwagon they go. Its not the amps fault the majority of the time, its the user who can't set it up properly.
People can argue with me all you want, but then listen to this guy and some of his other videos playing a 1x12 MG. Tone doesn't come from your wallet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uH5rP159UI
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Quote by PCSpeaker
The spiders and the MG's are BRILLIANT home practise amps, to be quite honest, but the UG Bandwagon hate them all the time.

Add to the list : BC Rich, Dean, Dragonforce

Do you honestly think Dragonforce is good?
They just play stuff really quickly with no emotion. Just my two cents.
SIGNATURE
Some stuff is hated because it generally sucks balls. The Line 6 Spider series just has no organic tone whatoever- it's so unversatile as well. Vox AD series pwn most other practise amps.

As for Squiers and other low end brands- alot of people are experienced players, of course they are going to hate on begginers material!! They've moved past it.
One thing you should take away from this place is try before you buy.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by the1
The Line 6 Spider series just has no organic tone whatoever

Which would be perfect if that's what your music required.

Quote by the1

As for Squiers and other low end brands- alot of people are experienced players, of course they are going to hate on begginers material!! They've moved past it.

Jeff Healey played squiers

Any forum is going to have people that hate on particular brand, and dote on another. It's the way forums operate.
Why does UG love Microcubes and Vox AD series even though they sound like shit?
Why does UG love Splawns even though only about .001% of the board have played one?

Because UG is full of bandwagoning idiots.
Quote by Horlicks
Why does UG love Splawns even though only about .001% of the board have played one?

This.

And the Line 6 Spider hate comes from mostly their atrocious sound at higher volumes.

Frankly, it's a waste of money to buy a huge Line 6 Spider III. Although, it could still be a smart buy for a beginner to get one of the smaller sized models to practice at home.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
also for some reason people on UG really hate Seymour Duncan Invaders pickups and Gibson DIrty Fingers Pickups. I think they both sound pretty good
Well the hate is because you can get better practice amps for the same price (Roland cube, Peavey Vypyr, Vox Vt/Ad). Another thing is that the Spider III sounds too "digital" and the MG is trying to hard to imitate high end models of the same brand. But all of this doesn't matter; what matters is that you get an amp you like so if you like the Spider and hate the Cube well by all means buy the Spider if it suits you better...
Just remember that all opinions are subjective. A lot of people who use UG.com own high-end amps and have become accustomed to using their high-end amp as a standard for what they base good and bad apon.

Basically what would be a sufficient amp to say myself who has not been playing long enough nor has enough money to buy a proffesional Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (etc.) would be highly insufficient to somebody who owns a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier (etc.).

Plus judgement on quality relates greatly to need for quality, I get by well enough with my 100W fender, most people would not but I have found a tone that is adequate for my needs in it. I could have better, make no mistake, however as I am not doing a national tour in a highly acclaimed band atm (lol), I do not need to.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by PCSpeaker

rolands micro cube is like 10x better.
Quote by famous1234
also for some reason people on UG really hate Seymour Duncan Invaders pickups and Gibson DIrty Fingers Pickups. I think they both sound pretty good

I disagree ive acutally got a lot of suggestions to get some Invaders dont kno about those dirty fingers never played them
Quote by James13v
A lot of people who use UG.com own high-end amps and have become accustomed to using their high-end amp as a standard for what they base good and bad apon.

You're kidding right?
The last I checked, the highest end amps on here were the 5150. Erock and pals being the exception.
Quote by DrSanitarium
I disagree ive acutally got a lot of suggestions to get some Invaders dont kno about those dirty fingers never played them

really cause anytime i even suggest that Invaders could be good everyone tells me they suck and to get something else. And I play punk so that doesn't make sense
Quote by Horlicks
You're kidding right?
The last I checked, the highest end amps on here were the 5150. Erock and pals being the exception.

I've seen dozens of pictures on the gear pic thread of just about every possible stack and set up imaginable, Laney, Peavy, Orange, Marshall, Fender, you name it. When I say "high end" I mean anything that is boarder-line usable for a considerable size gig and beyond, for mental reference, let's say a club of 100-200+ people to a 50,000 head festival.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by James13v
Laney, Peavy, Orange, Marshall, Fender, you name it.

Still not high-end.
Quote by James13v
]When I say "high end" I mean anything that is boarder-line usable for a considerable size gig and beyond, for mental reference, let's say a club of 100-200+ people to a 50,000 head festival.

I always thought of high-end being $1500+ range.
Quote by nightrain789
Every time that I'm on here, I hear about how horrible Line 6 Spider III's are, and there are a lot of other things that UG hates for some reason. I played a Spider III and I didn't think that it sounded that bad.

I saw a thread a while back asking if Squires were as bad as we make them out to be, and the general consensus was no. Are Marshall MG's and Line 6 Spider III's really as bad as people say and why?

Behold.

The masses.
wow only two pages and its already a flame fest cant we all just grow the hell up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinsk8r91
practice young padawan and your fingers strong they will one day be, HMMMmmm.

this
I've heard Spiders and they sound pretty. Very artificial.

I've only heard an MG once. It was certainly not good, but it wasn't as blatantly terrible as the Spider. It was lacking in dynamics, (which is expected from a solid-state) but the drive channel sounded OK for the '80s hard rock the guy was playing. Then again, I don't like those kinds of tones or that kind of music, so I'm no expert.

The MG wasn't versatile at all. Spiders are versatile, but all the settings sound bad.

I think people just hear that these amps are terrible and they repeat it so much on this forum that it turns into "IF YOU PLAY THIS AMP YOUR EARS WILL BLEED." They're not that bad. As practice amps, anyway.
Quote by Horlicks
Still not high-end.

I always thought of high-end being $1500+ range.

Lol, how high end do you want??

The Edge uses a bloody PA'd AC-30 for example, I would call that a high end amp.

Yeh I'm not going to put a price on it as I don't know how much most amps are in the US.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
[quote="'']Sexual frustration?

Quite possibly the best answer yet.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
For certain things, like amps, its not that their completly bad. Its just that there are much better products for the price. But squiers shouldnt really get bashed. My friend has one thats set up very nicely with replaced hardware that i played the other day and it sounded great.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by James13v
Lol, how high end do you want??

The Edge uses a bloody PA'd AC-30 for example, I would call that a high end amp.

Yeh I'm not going to put a price on it as I don't know how much most amps are in the US.

Just because pros use it doesn't automatically make it high-end.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by tom1thomas1
I've got a Squier and it's good to learn on but if you wanted to record something or perform with it you'd have to be crazy, but it's not like a song sounds unrecognisable on it, main problem is it wont stay in tune, you can set it up right but it always loses the setting, push down on some frets and the strings buzz a bit against the next fret up. you get what you pay for though, if you buy a gibson you pay just for the name, squier's not really a name you have to pay for though. and another thing ultimate guitar hates - Fall Out Boy ugggghh theres a reason we hate everything we do

I agree with most everything you say here except the part about the Gibson. No I am not defending it because I own one either. Gibson make phenomenal instruments, much better in quality than many other manufacturers. Yes, they are expensive, probably overpriced. To some degree the name on the headstock might have some impact on the price. However, there is a reason why literally thousands of famous and non famous musicians use them.

Just voicing my opinion. I really don't mean to be offensive here, if I was then I am sorry, it was not implied in the least.
Oh and I had a Marshall MG30DGX, it was decent actually. Then again I had never heard a tube amp nor really heard anything but it.
Origonally Posted by Lauke_101
And you're right

Gibson>Moog>KJL>Homebrew 2x12

Saving 4 any one of these:
Soldano Hot Rod
Splawn (anything)
Laney GH50L
Cornford Roadhouse
Marshall JCM2000
KJL 4x12 to match KJL head
Quote by Horlicks

see you keep doing this. but no one mentions quality.

holy shlt, if i dont open the GGA section to read a "my mg just broke thread".

the micro cube is $125. and perfect for a starter amp.

my stupid mg10, had clean and mud and was broken in 2 days.

i dont give a care what kids are saying about practice amps, trying to be cool.

but i'll be damned, if i'm going to told that i'm in some sort of bandwagon, whatever the hell that is.

if asked, i'm going to tell the truth. that mg series doesnt hold up as well as cheaper amps. ie: the cube series.

and the micro is perfect for a guy starting out.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i own a fender squire strat and its great, i tuned it for the first time in like 2 weeks, and some of my strings were a little sharp
Page 1 of 3