I know Hendrix or Van Halen's wayyyy above but say someone like Neil Young or Angus Young, not gods but not as sloppy as Kurt Cobain, could anyone that practices a fair amount be able to play like that? They've got no scratchy sounds between notes, no slightly muted notes, no buzzes, does that take a lot of skill to be able to do that? Or is it edited out in the studio? I can play a scale perfectly at moderate speed I guess but I go to play something like Iron Man which seems really simple but if I listen to what sounds im actually making, there's all these scratches and sliding around between notes that shouldnt be there, and Iommi uses full distortion so using a cleaner setting isnt it.
Hendrix didn't have very good technique at all.

I'd say many guitarists on here could play anything Neil Young or Angus Young could play. Whether they could play it with as much style is debatable though.
Last edited by Regression at Mar 8, 2009,
if you practice 2....3 hours a day max, and really get into the instrument, you'll be better than any of the guitarists you mentioned in a few years tops. it's not difficult to play fast and accurately, but you have to push yourself to do it which is what many guitarists i know fail.

also, playing cleanly takes nothing but practice, that's all there is to it. muting strings, and playing without excess noise is just as tricky if not trickier than you're standard techniques so if you're having problems with that, just keep at it until you get it right. as long as you keep at it and don't get discouraged i don't see how you can go wrong.

finally, the gap between pro and average is hard to say...i've seen many "pro" guitarists that i know for a fact i'm better than (not to be modest, merely to make a point), and i've seen "pro" guitarists who would blow me out of the water even if they broke a finger. it really depends on your own taste and personal opinion.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Mar 8, 2009,
my guess is there are many many people here way better than the likes of van halen or who ever (i'm sure not one of them) but it'll either be a case of they're not in the right place at the right time, or they can't write songs, only copy what some one has done before them.
Really it doesn't take much to be a pro guitarist. Can you play three different chords? Congratulations, you're good enough to make guitar playing your job.

Whether or not you actually get to is an entirely different matter.
Quote by rigiddigits
Well I'm a girl and I don't want to die so I guess I'll have to choose to be raped.

Nobody sig that

Check out my gaming blog, Zombie Arcade
You never know, maybe the guy who keeps coming back and saying "i dident plai mah gutiar phor 2 days dose tht made me suck so i hav 2 lern agen?" and "dose playng guitar wen uve jst eatend maek u suk?" is actually the best guitarist ever, it's just he's so picky about his playing that he notices the slightest mistake and freaks out because he normally plays so awesomely, and the reason he comes across as a failure at life is because he's never learnt to communicate coherently because he's been isolated from the rest of the world his whole life, practicing and practicing?
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
There are so many members of UG of varying skill levels that it's hard to tell the "Average UGer" but I'm sure that alot of us would be able to take on most of the mainstream guitarists and a few would be able to keep up with the pro shredders but not play to their level or top them, maybe one or two could.
There is a big difference in being able to play your favorite guitar heroes's stuff, and writing your own stuff in my opinion.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Quote by tweeb
There is a big difference in being able to play your favorite guitar heroes's stuff, and writing your own stuff in my opinion.

truth
Quote by tweeb

+1
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
There's also a big difference in being able to play something virtuosic once and playing something minorly difficult every time you get on stage.
None of the players mentioned are where they are simply because they can play guitar, or shred. They're musicians, the songs are the important milestones in making music, not the shredding.

A guitarist is only one element, bands take a lot of patience, practice and sacrifice. Giving up your job, your security and taking a band on the road 'trying to make it' is a very difficult life choice to make.

So whether you can shred better than Vai, or have more emotion in your solos than Angus, making the move and making the sacrifice needed to get out there and play is the difference between a UG forum regular and an accomplished musician.

That said, I know there's plenty of regulars in here that are in bands and trying to make a life in music... more power to them.
I also believe most guitarists are better than they give themselves credit for. How many here can go see a band or live show and hear off notes in a song and instantly recognize them. I would have to say 90% of non musicians probably wouldn't even notice.
Quote by cranium2001
I also believe most guitarists are better than they give themselves credit for. How many here can go see a band or live show and hear off notes in a song and instantly recognize them. I would have to say 90% of non musicians probably wouldn't even notice.

I agree. The modern "bar" set for guitarists' skills is incredibly high due to the intense popularity of the instrment and many people, mostly the guitarists themselves do indeed underestimate their own abilities as a musician.

I also agree with the fact that if there were a greatest guitarist ever, they would be the most creative guitarist ever. Technique doesn't write songs.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
IMHO Pretty big gap. Most here do covers and focus on others writing while Pros seldom do covers and mostly write. Covers are good to learn to play early on but after a while if your not writing your own riffs your are only holding yourself back.
Quote by James13v
if there were a greatest guitarist ever, they would be the most creative guitarist ever. Technique doesn't write songs.

seconded
Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Quote by Truespin
you can't use a guitar to replace your lack of charm or social skills.

Worked for Malmsteen.
Depends what you mean by pro. If you mean the guys and gals at the top of the guitar world like top session musicians etc then there would be a big gap as they get paid to put many hours of practice and live performance in a week. This doesn't mean the average player on here is not any good just normally don't have the time and money to dedicate to getting and staying that good.
Quote by Regression

I'd say many guitarists on here could play anything Neil Young or Angus Young could play. Whether they could play it with as much style is debatable though.
And the amazing thing is that whatever he has, has influenced so many greats and guitar gods and has also fueled so much back and forth among those who know about him.

I suspect that guitarists, 100 years from now and beyond, will continue to study Hendrix.

All i can say is where i'm at.

In general terms i think i'm average. In fact, most UG'ers would probably rate me as Intermediate if they could hear my stuff.

But, you can't really say. Obv Joe Satriani is brilliant. But he's only brilliant because every part f his playing is brilliant. You could say 'X is absolutely brilliant at rhythm.' But if the rest of their playing is poor you can't really compare anything apart from the particular technique they're good at.
Including stage performance/image/ego/brashness/personality (hard to judge on the netz but oh well)

the gap

is

Fu(king Massive!
Quote by Regression

This kind of comment from an average joe really pi.sses me off.
Just practice when you have time, if you have lots of time, maybe 6-8 hours a day, you will progress really fast.
Quote by SuperJoop
This kind of comment from an average joe really pi.sses me off.

Why? It's true......put him next to Paul Gilbert and technically Gilbert will **** on him every time. Being able to write good tunes and good melodies doesn't mean you're an amazing guitarist.

Simon Cowell is a god as far as recognising a good singing voice goes, but he can't sing himself. Doesn't mean he's any less good at his job.
The gap between a professonal guitarist and the average UG'er is the size of a pit.
Last edited by SRVtheman at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by Ikonoklast
Why? It's true......put him next to Paul Gilbert and technically Gilbert will **** on him every time. Being able to write good tunes and good melodies doesn't mean you're an amazing guitarist.

Simon Cowell is a god as far as recognising a good singing voice goes, but he can't sing himself. Doesn't mean he's any less good at his job.

You got it all wrong, Dime told me a long time ago that you can train any monkey to play fast but only god can give them their soul. Anyone can play fast givin how much they practice their scales, but to be a true musician you have to have soul in your riffs be an innovator,Think outside the box.
Quote by DimeLvR
You got it all wrong, Dime told me a long time ago that you can train any monkey to play fast but only god can give them their soul. Anyone can play fast givin how much they practice their scales, but to be a true musician you have to have soul in your riffs be an innovator,Think outside the box.

Nicely said.

But, Paul Gilbert > Everyone. He has both amazing technique, and is able to play extremely musically [and while shredding!], something very few do.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by DimeLvR

What are you on about? My point was that as far as technically playing a guitar goes, Hendrix wasn't brilliant. Musically yes, but his technique was poor.
You can get as good within five years of solid 3 hour practice sessions.
But getting the innovation that Hendrix or EVH had, that's just something in the brain.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
being able to play "stairway to heaven" =/= writing "stairway to heaven"

a pro guitarist is what he is for the imagination and power to translate his toughts to the guitar... technique and fast playing are just a bonus

EDIT:

Quote by Simsimius
Nicely said.

But, Paul Gilbert > Everyone. He has both amazing technique, and is able to play extremely musically [and while shredding!], something very few do.

i agree completely... all hail the mighty mighty PG and he can sing too
Last edited by just17n8 at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by tweeb

This
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by DimeLvR
IMHO Pretty big gap. Most here do covers and focus on others writing while Pros seldom do covers and mostly write. Covers are good to learn to play early on but after a while if your not writing your own riffs your are only holding yourself back.

i disagree almost 100 percent.

i used to be in a cover band, and that was the peak of my guitar playing "career" if you will.

when you play covers, you get a wide variety of peoples techniques, and you sort of warp each on into your own.

however, that does help you write which is what makes a guitarist great.

im just saying that eddie van halen and zakk wylde still sit in their tour bus and jam along to the songs their heros wrote.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
Laziness is the plague of our century. The gap is in dedication more than anything else. Will you be next Hendrix or Page if you dedicate your life to your instrument? Probably not, but you can still contribute something that LOTS of people will relate to.

Technique, just like creativity, is a product of dedication. Play your instrument, learn your technique, master your theory, and learn other peoples' songs. That's the perfect combination right there.

From Zakk Wylde's wikiedia entry, "Wylde has stated that he would practice playing the guitar as much as 12 hours per day and often would play the guitar almost non-stop between coming home from school and leaving for school the next morning, then sleeping through the school day."
I think that everything that is possible to say about this subject has been said. We ourselves are own worst critics. Some people say Im the ****. Do I? NO!! Should I be known around the world? No. Am I? No. But I do believe that I could jam with an awful lot of "PRO'S" out there and hold my own and even outdo a few of them. That doesnt mean Im better than them.

I read someone said that Jimi didnt have really good technique which I would tend to agree with but he did things in a way no one had before which made him THE maestro of guitar perhaps.

At the same time, I know there are way more guitar players who are 1 million times better than me. So whos to say? The average guitar player playes the guitar. The average MUSICIAN writes MUSIC on the guitar or drums or keyboards or whatever they play.

I also think that styles of music play an important role too. I mean you cant say that Eddie Van Halen is better than Kirk Hammett and mean it because Eddie cant play Metallica and vice versa. Jimmy Herring more than likely cant play Joe Satriani. Joe Satriani cant play some of the music I hear on UG. Ive heard some good **** here that I havent heard from any "PRO" out there.

Its all subjective. Who you think is better at what they do is different than who I think is better. Some say Hetfield is the ****, which I agree with but I also know that Joe Satriani is awesome and even better but stylisticly speaking, they cant be compared. Thats the main problem with "WORLDS BEST GUITARIST" polls or "WORDLS BEST SONG" polls or "WORLDS BEST (fill it in for yourself)" polls.

What sets the average guitarist apart from the rest is how they apply what they know to their craft. Yeah I can play some badass **** but if its not used in the right context, it sounds like Im just showing off. So why should I even play it? I dont want to show off and thats why I dont listen to Steve Vai or Y.J.M. I want music not noise!

I dont know. Am I rambling? Probably. Anyway, thats my opinion about the subject and you know what people say about opinions right?

Rap sucks but its still music and its their freedom of expression through the use of music. Country sucks ass to me but once again, freedom of expression through the use of music.
Personally i think without the media Page and Hendrix would be considered normal and regular. Whereas Satriani etc get hardly any in comparison and are considered much better technical musicians.
the average UG'er? A huge ****ing difference!
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
just a point to throw in:

i think in the industry, someone who is referred to as a "pro" is someone who has a lot of grades and makes a living off doing session work, as opposed to being an "artist" like Hendrix, where the big record companies cash in on your creativity.

so there's probably some "pros" on UG who have not got any recognition.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
If a pro is simply anyone who has ever been paid to play, then of course a great many marginal performers are pros.

I personally admire those who can think on their feet and make really listenable contributions to a number even if they sometimes get lost or bog down, over those who have got certain set-pieces blazingly fast, and that's all they play.

And at the margin, well, Maynard Ferguson could play rings around Miles Davis.
this is rly a stupid argument, whats the matter with just having fun, and that goes for making your own music and playing covers and having fun isnt that a feeling. why is there a need to be pro?