Could someone like Angus Young still get away with looking like he does on stage?

Coz when they started everyone just wanted good music and he didnt have to worry about how he looked, he just had to play his guitar, but now everyone wants to see pretty boys like coldplay and fall out boy, guys that work out all day like Zakk Wylde, or 'tough' guys like lots of metal bands try to be.
I just saw a video of AC/DC playing live.
And everyone was cheering when Angus started stripping
so yea
I'm FAT!
yeh it should be about the music still. i mean if you look bad-ass and play killer music then thats cool. but if your some fat ugly greasy kid, but still play good music, then it shouldnt matter what you look like. the music whats important
I agree, listening to the radio is like a deafening monotone of sell-outs with minimal talent. Few bands nowadays have a unique sound, and none of them seem to carry a message. Which is what music should be about.
R.I.P. S.R.V. dimebag ain't got nothin' on you.
R.I.P. Hendrix... nevermind, god can't die
Music always comes first but I wouldn't advise anyone to do an Angus rip-off. You can easily overdo the stage act and forget the real reason you are up there at all. (sex drugs blah blah blah)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Music is pretty forgiving when it comes to looks. Look at Queens of the Stoneage, and Modest Mouse. Also, the guys from Fall Out Boy are in no way pretty, or good looking at all really. Except the bassist guy (Wentz?), but no one likes him anyway.

People just like a look to attach to a sound. Angus Young would stand out no matter when he started.
Quote by brandon369852
Then you are officially the worst Ug'er here.
Definately... remember the grunge movement?

Ordinary (enough) looking guys, cool as music.

And yes I have massively simplified that above statement.
i shouldve said i dont mean the antics he does on stage i mean how he looks, he doesnt care that he's a sweaty scrawny guy in short shorts in front of the world, and no one really cared either but now do ya reckon hed be laughed off the stage before he could get a chord out?
I'd tap it. Age is only a number. I'm sure his hammer-ons and pull-offs from playing thunderstruck that long can be used for something else

EDIT: OP, why would people who GO TO SEE AC/DC laugh them offstage. Use yer noggin.
Last edited by Tarzan_man at Mar 8, 2009,
another question: why all the AC/DC hate lately? they make ****ing awesome music
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
What do you mean by 'get away with it?' It's always made him look like a moron, but his band writes great songs and are great fun to rock out to so it doesn't matter.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
They sell as much of their image as they do the music if not more with certain bands. Not just with AC/DC though, but then again I actually enjoy their music.
Well, many guitarists over the decades have dressed and still dress like women, homeless people and/or dumbasses. And they seem to be getting away with it pretty well. So I wouldn't worry about dressing up like Angus Young just yet.
if someone can make awsome music, then it does'nt matter,
and angus young didnt look that bad.. what are you talking about??

to be honest I can't think of any "ugly" bands that make good music..
Quote by Valderama
Yes, he's also ugly as sin, and can't write good music.

heh.

This. Acdc blows.
Quote by ihavenoname93
another question: why all the AC/DC hate lately? they make ****ing awesome music

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
people like that angus is himself onstage instead of trying to impress people. i think that goes for any situation, people like those who arent phony.

also, metal bands never come off as "tough" looking, they usualy just look stupid
Emerse your soul in love

You used to be alright What happened?

Yellow tigers crouched in jungles in her Dark Eyes .
Yes, he still does doesn't he?
Also, to a later comment: I saw metallica/Machine head/the sword earlier this year, they all looked more or less like normal people, nothing really special.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Mudmen190
This. Acdc blows.

This. AC/DC should've died years ago.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Quote by ihavenoname93

AC/DC hate? don't know many people that don't like them

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by tom1thomas1
Coz when they started everyone just wanted good music and he didnt have to worry about how he looked, he just had to play his guitar, but now everyone wants to see pretty boys like coldplay and fall out boy, guys that work out all day like Zakk Wylde, or 'tough' guys like lots of metal bands try to be.

Dude, Fall Out Boy are ugly as sin, even Pete Wentz, the "hot" member of the band isn't that great.
Quote by tom1thomas1
Coz when they started everyone just wanted good music and he didnt have to worry about how he looked, he just had to play his guitar, but now everyone wants to see pretty boys like coldplay and fall out boy, guys that work out all day like Zakk Wylde, or 'tough' guys like all black metal bands try to be.

Fix'd

I don't think Zakk Wylde works out to be cool or to look teh br00tlez. He just does it because it's his hobby. As for ACDC, they've always been famous for their outrageous stage shows and fashion choices. I don't think they'll be laughed off stage. They've gained too much respect from fans.

Too bad they suck...
Quote by Telestar
Trust me man, it's Smoke on the Water. Deep Purple only wrote one song.
Quote by ihavenoname93

Have you even heard them?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
this is a little retarded considering AC/DC are selling out tours for fun and they still dress up and act like twats
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
Ever seen the guitarist from Killswitch Engage? Google it, and we'll talk about stupid get-ups.
Quote by Seth Shadows
This. AC/DC should've died years ago.

you should've died years ago
Quote by lufkin
Broom guitar.
The necks so long that theres like 100 frets.
If you wear womens clothes while broom-guitaring its incredible.

Quote by Argonaut
If you don't like bacon then you are either a veggie or some kind of wierd mutant freak.
Quote by ihavenoname93

To me it's all samey same

Disclaimer: I only like one AC/DC album. That is powerage.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

I think its more like "If Angus Young was Starting out now, would he succeed"

Since nowadays "music" is about formfitting, manufactured "artists" with horrible music but faces that can sell records, I think he would succeed, but much in the way that musicians can have music sales, but nowhere near the level of whor-- I mean "artists" like Brittany Spears, Jessica simpson, etc...
Quote by Trickycindy
You're a f*cking wanker.

Quote by JC13
@Prole... Magnificent...

Quote by ZanasCross
Thanks sir. Unbanned.
Angus young is my favorite guitarist, because his style is awsome. His look is awsome too. who doesnt like the school suit
I agree with El3 totaly his style everything about him rocks!!!
have you tried to master all the songs on there albums?
its not the easiest and untill you listen and
get to know the band you cant say anything about him
being bad

Quote by El3ment380
Angus young is my favorite guitarist, because his style is awsome. His look is awsome too. who doesnt like the school suit
Quote by tom1thomas1

hahahahahaha
Coldplay aren't pretty boys just because their music's soft.
& Fall Out Boy, other than Wentz, aren't either.

You a-trollin'?

Anyway, I think if he came out today he'd be seen as a poor guitarist.
I've been here since '04.