My guitar teacher two years in to my lessons just noticed i wasn't holding my plectrum properly, which is why i couldn't speed pick. I can speed pick now but only with thiner plectrums, is this cheating?
Guitars gear
Fender Nashville Telecaster
Vox AD30 Valvetronix
Zoom 707 multi effects
No.
It's just doing what's more comfortable.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
^that.
Weird though, I can only do so with a heavy pick
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
there isn't really a right or wrong way to hold a plectrum. i hold mine completely different to anyone i know, and can speed pick the **** out of them
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Well apparently it's ment to be heldlying on the inex finger pinched by the thumb
Guitars gear
Fender Nashville Telecaster
Vox AD30 Valvetronix
Zoom 707 multi effects
heh. the proper definition of the 'right way' for speed picking is 'whatever helps you pick the fastest without hurting yourself'. There's a youtube video somewhere of a guy speed picking with the pick between his fourth and fifth fingers.

but yes. Index and thumb is personally the most efficient.
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by .fallen
heh. the proper definition of the 'right way' for speed picking is 'whatever helps you pick the fastest without hurting yourself'. There's a youtube video somewhere of a guy speed picking with the pick between his fourth and fifth fingers.

but yes. Index and thumb is personally the most efficient.

mutant guitarist? Generally, the way your teacher showed you is what works best for most people I've seen.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
i finger pick, if i want to speed pick i just use a thumb and a finger or two, can get just as fast as you guys who use picks.... just takes some more practice to get started.
Quote by .fallen
There's a youtube video somewhere of a guy speed picking with the pick between his fourth and fifth fingers.

Hmm... Alternate picking the High e and B while using the other fingers to pluck bass notes...BRILLIANT!
But do whatevers comfortable to you. I use heavy picks, And I used to use a 2.5 finger grip, Thumb, Index, and the side of my Middle.