I'm just wondering what is the technical reason behind the thought in where all power tubes must be matched in "x" amplifier. What would occur if they weren't the same?
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
I sense the sarcasm in your post, which amuses me, but I'd like a solid answer to like...know why I shouldn't.
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Amps typically employ the same value bias resistor for each tube (or use a common pot to adjust the bias for both tubes together) Thus, if they aren't matched one tube will run hotter than the other. This causes an unbalance in the output transformer which could damage it.

If your amp has a bias control for each tube you could use un matched tubes. I modded my amp to have a bias for each tube, and I purposely mismatch the bias somewhat, sounds better to my ears.

TL;DR If they aren't matched you can damage the amp, though some amps are more tolerant, IE, Mesa, they can run with only one powertube.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
tubes draw different amounts of current, so getting a "matched" set means that you get a set of tubes that draw close to the same current. if they're too mismatched... i dunno, bad things can happen.

^ ah man where did you come from
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I see. Thank you for the answers gentlemen.
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Commentary I'd add is that tubes will become mismatched as they age...they'll age at different rates, so they'll draw different amounts of current.

+1 on the mismatch sounding good. I frequently overspec OTs on my builds so I can dial in a bunch of mismatch and not be affraid of it cooking.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial