Poll: Is having children moral?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is having children moral?
yes
227 70%
no
76 23%
unsure
23 7%
Voters: 326.
Page 1 of 8
I've always thought that putting another consciousness to experience life as we know it may actually be immoral. Just because most major religions condone it does not mean it is moral. And maybe since the social stigma of "having children is natural" is widely accepted, we often do not think of it this way.

Some people would say that as long as they wholeheartedly devote their lives to their child and give everything they can to their offspring it is not immoral. However, there's still a chance that that child will suffer, be the victim of a traumatic crime, will inherit some serious disease, or whatnot. Personally, I would not be willing to take that chance.

I think a counter-argument to this would be that it is no longer the parents responisibility if those things happen, that they're going to make the best of it, and that those things are a normal part of "life", and choosing to have children is natural and condoned by God or is a heathy natural instinct. Or that creating consciousness is actually a good thing, and that the potential for happiness fat outweighs the potential suffering in the child's life, particularly if the parents are loving and well-off financially. However, if "creating consciousness" is a good thing, then the countless couples in well-developed countries who choose to have one child despite being able to financially support several more are in the moral wrong.

I think all these reasons are mainly assumptions, and can be proven wrong, at least from my point of view, or if someone can give me a good reason why it is not.

I'm not saying that that how I expect other people to live,and that they're all immoral. I wouldn't force any of this down anyone's throat. If someone else wants to have children, fine. If my mom and dad want to make another baby, it's their lives and their choice. But I wouldn't want to have a kid because of the multiple reasons stated above.

What if you look at it this way: A life that is not lived (e.g. A baby not born, or the sperm cells my semen) does no harm, right?

A life lived (a baby born and conceived) has a chance of suffering, no matter how small.

I would personally choose the former.

tl:dr I don't want to have a kid, and not because it's too much work and commitment, but because I believe it's morally wrong
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Last edited by Laces Out Danny at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by Volstkjar
The purpose of life is to procreate. Get out.

that is an assumption.

can you support that claim in any way?
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Now wouldn't it be fun if everyone thought the same way as you. "I'm not going to have kids because it's bad!" Bye-bye, human race!

Honestly, that did not make a bit of sense to me.
Well I think you need to consider whether or not your life has been so bad that you would rather have not been born. Life has many pleasures so I think it is a worthwhile risk. Even if something goes wrong you can still live a good life, people with downsyndrome can be happy even though something bad happened to them.
Quote by Laces Out Danny
that is an assumption.

Evolution. Get out.
Don't want children, then fine, don't have them.

Just go fap instead.
Quote by Laces Out Danny
that is an assumption.

What's the purpose of life for any other animal?
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by Laces Out Danny
that is an assumption.

Yes.
Being in the Pit= Virgin, no children
Being in the Pit= No Life

Therefore
No children=no life
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by Laces Out Danny
that is an assumption.

because if we didn't procreate, there wouldn't be any life.
http://sheepshape.co.uk

Gretsch White Falcon

Fender Volume-Tone
TC Electronic Polytune
Digitech Whammy
Vox V847-A
Ibanez TS9
Menatone Red Snapper
Marshall EH1
Boss DD7
Boss CE5
GLX NG100
EHX Cathedral
Vox AC15CC1
George L's
EBow
Quote by Volstkjar
Evolution. Get out.

evolution and life on Earth is bad and ugly.

Seriously, animals killing each other? People killing each other? I have seen enough though a history and/or carnivorus animal book.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Adopt a kid that is already in this world then, That doesn't have a home.
Quote by offspring_punk
9/10 Bobo Jenkins just sounds godly in general. I think I'll name my firstborn child that. Male or female.
Quote by Karvid
Yes.
Being in the Pit= Virgin, no children

why would we need an ultimate sex thread if we're all virgins?

inb4wittyreplythatcompletelydisarmsme
And the insects will inherit the earth. Dick.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
Quote by Volstkjar

Why would we need superhero comics if none of us are superheroes?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Quote by Laces Out Danny

Oh, so you just hate life. Well I guess that explains everything we needed explaining. Thanks for watching, guys!
Quote by Laces Out Danny

Seriously, animals killing each other? People killing each other? I have seen enough though a history and/or carnivorus animal book.

Wow animals killing other animals?! When did this start happening?
Quote by Bobo Jenkins
Adopt a kid that is already in this world then, That doesn't have a home.

yeah i've been thinking 'bout that.

I want one from Zambia. And one from Madagascar. mmmmm....

Quote by Baarmy_Sheep
because if we didn't procreate, there wouldn't be any life.

Why must there be life anyway?
Quote by icaneatcatfood
If I'm honest, what you just wrote down is utter BS.
When creating new life, morality doesn't come into it. Maybe being selfish does, but not morality.
It could be seen as selfish to have children, as you want a child to make yourself happy, yet that child may suffer. But morally wrong? No, I don't buy it.
hello
Quote by Karvid
Why would we need superhero comics if none of us are superheroes?

we aren't in the superhero comics ourselves, whereas it is us posting in the thread. Nice try, babes.

and why must there be life anyway? there doesn't have to be life. there just is.
Quote by Laces Out Danny

If you want to seriously get on people's nerves, continue to focus on the negative. Pretend that the bad outweighs the good.
I think that this is one of the most retarded theories I have ever heard.

I was about to type my reasoning why it isn't immoral, but what's the point? This thread is irrelevant.
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Quote by Laces Out Danny

Death isn't an immoral thing, especially in the animal kingdom as animals have not sense of right and wrong.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Volstkjar
The purpose of life is to procreate. Get out.

You don t know that for sure.

TS, I think you re overlooking several things. Yes there are many negative aspects, but to counterbalance this there is a lot of positive stuff. So in a way, its not really harsh on the consciousness or helpful: it just depends on what happens in their life whether they might see it that way. Personally i take the highs with the lows: i d rather be alive than dead so i m glad i was created, even if bad **** has happened

Hope most of that made sense
Also, it will be hard finding a woman to settle down with, That isn't interested in having kids like you are. One way or another, Your going to have A kid, or live your life alone, And grumpy.
Quote by offspring_punk
9/10 Bobo Jenkins just sounds godly in general. I think I'll name my firstborn child that. Male or female.
Quote by Volstkjar
we aren't in the superhero comics ourselves, whereas it is us posting in the thread. Nice try, babes.

and why must there be life anyway? there doesn't have to be life. there just is.

But people who write superhero comics aren't superheroes.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Its lame.
Quote by Volstkjar

Beause some of us like to brag about things they've never even done.
Denying your kid the right to live is much worse than anything they'll face out here. Life sucks, but it's worth it, are you saying you wish you weren't born because it's immoral?

And it is natural to have kids, if no one did than life on earth would not exist.
This is my sig
Quote by opc100
If I'm honest, what you just wrote down is utter BS.
When creating new life, morality doesn't come into it. Maybe being selfish does, but not morality.
It could be seen as selfish to have children, as you want a child to make yourself happy, yet that child may suffer. But morally wrong? No, I don't buy it.

okay, maybe I did assume that since it is selfish to have a child, then it is immoral to do so. My bad.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Quote by Karvid
But people who write superhero comics aren't superheroes.

Stan Lee is a superhero.

He's make-loads-of-money-out-of-franchises-nobody-really-cares-about-anymore man.
Quote by Laces Out Danny

tl:dr I don't want to have a kid, and not because it's too much work and commitment, but because I believe it's morally wrong

haha

I feel the same way.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by zwound
This sounds like a troll.

TS should take his head out of his ass.

I'm not a troll. I seriously believe in what i'm saying right here.

I'm not saying that that how I expect other people to live,and that they're all immoral. I wouldn't force any of this down anyone's throat. If someone else wants to have children, fine. If my mom and dad want to make another baby, it's their lives and their choice. But I wouldn't want to have a kid because of the multiple reasons stated above in my topic post.
Quote by icaneatcatfood