Quote by Horlicks
Devries.

Sweet lord,the things he does to guitars should be considered criminal.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Horlicks
Devries.

+1 and the Devries guy is an arrogant, opinionated jackass who doesn't know what he's talking about.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
While some shops like RAN aren't original, they seem to build high quality instruments.

Worst shops?

The afore mentioned DeVries and of course Ed Roman.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Horlicks
Devries.

Why haven't I gotten any credit for spreading the word?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Yes they arent really original however there quality is quite laughable compared to other CS.

RAN

ESP

I guess RAN charge less for a reason.

Quote by Bonsaischaap
While some shops like RAN aren't original, they seem to build high quality instruments.

Worst shops?

The afore mentioned DeVries and of course Ed Roman.
Last edited by Jiro from GLAY at Mar 8, 2009,
this is a ran, if they're so bad why does it have to be so damn sexy?

Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
RANs are pretty good.

I don't think any custom shop (Besides ripoff merchants like Devries) is poor quality. You get what you pay for. At that price, you'd better, tbh.
I actually heard that Ed Roman's guitars are damn nice. But the prices are ridiculous, not to mention the guy's a douche and a scammer.

Jiro, have you actually ever played a Ran? No offense, but I don't judge a guitar's quality by looks only.

No CS guitar I've come across so far was actually bad. But some were too expensive (Fender, Gibson and Jackson being the main offenders for that matter).
It's certainly true you get what you pay for. If you pay someone £200 to make you a custom guitar then it's not going to be very good. Just sticking 'custom shop' on a guitar won't make it amazing.

That said, I think Fender win the Most Pointless Custom Shop award. They're not bad in any way, it's just there's sod-all difference between the regular production Fenders and most of their Custom Shop guitars. You end up paying a lot more just for the fact it has a nitro finish instead of a poly finish. If you have the money to burn then by all means the Fender Custom Shop makes good guitars, it's just you could pick up an American Deluxe or even an American Standard and it will last just as long, feel and sound the same, look the same, and cost literally half the price. Really it's more of a testament to how good Fender's production quality is rather than how pointless their Custom Shop is.
Also to be fair, their Custom Shop has made some incredible amplifiers in the past too.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
There are plenty of production line Fenders with nitro finishes and plenty of CS Fenders with poly - features don't seem to be what seperates their custom shop from the rest of the company.
That being said, my CS Fender sounds and plays better than all the non-CS models I played. And I took my time finding a good guitar, I assure you.
Maybe it's just the ones I've managed to get my hands on then. But certainly several times in the past I've sat down in a shop swapping between a 'Shop and a production model and I was buggered if I could ever tell the difference.

That was when I was shopping for a good Telecaster though, maybe their Strats are handled by a seperate group of people or they just don't give a **** about their Teles. Or perhaps I was just unlucky. Meh.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
it's a custom shop. you get what you ask or pay for. if you wanted your scythe inlays to match the esp ones, they'd do it.

you haven't got one and you haven't played one, so shush.
The CS ones vary a lot imo, for example, the amount of different neck shapes you can find on models that are supposed to be identical is ridiculous. They're generally a bit pricey anyway because of import taxes. If I ever want to get a custom Strat again or maybe a Tele, I'll get a LuK, at least I'm not paying for import taxes then.

By the way, what about that metal-guitar you were going to get?
(To be honest, you're the last guy I expected to ask for recommendations for Floyd equipped super strats. )
I don't like derailing, but since you ask.

I've been doing some ringing around and about half the models y'all suggested to me I either can't get hold of (many stores say they've never even heard of them), and the oddball ones I can get hold of are going to come with a bunch of import fees and I have to put a down payment on, so if I didn't like it I would be several hundred out of pocket.
And of the ones that I can easily get hold of, the Jacksons and Schecters and so on, they're all a bit... bland. I've not tried every single one yet, but I've gotten through about twelve guitars total and none have really 'grabbed' me. The Jacksons in particular seem to be built fine but they're just not clicking with me. The Schecters I've tried so far have simply not been built all that well I think.

I may or may not be taking a short trip to Germany though in a couple of months. Since it seems Germany is a goldmine for super-Strats, I'm going to wait until then to make a decision. Fingers crossed I can find a gem for cheap there and I avoid the import and VAT too. If I still can't find anything there though then I think I'll just say sod it and do another Warmoth build.

And yeah, I wouldn't normally ask for guitar buying advice, but metal-orientated guitars isn't my strong point and I didn't know if they were any obscure brands that someone might know that would fit my bill. Save the surprise for when I start asking which Les Paul to buy!
Last edited by MrFlibble at Mar 8, 2009,