Hey guys, I'm saving up for a new guitar (Jackson SL2H hopefully) and a new amp.
It'll be my first tube amp as I haven't required a better amp before now, but the prospect of gigs, and the drums at band practice, require me to upgrade my MG15CDR :P.

I mainly play thrash metal, metallica, megadeth kind of stuff.
Would a Bugera 333XL combo or halfstack be a good choice, at about £500?
What other amps would be good? Is there better amps for metal at around this price?
Budget isn't set in stone, a couple of hundered could be added or taken away.

Cheers guys
Above post may or may not be true.
personally i would get a fender. Some of the best tube amp you can buy for that price, unless you budget is unlimited and you want a wall of full stacks i would get a hughes and katner. but fender has some nice tubes amps. good tweed and you can use the high pre amp viocing on it if it has one. if not just go buy a metel muff
why dont you go to a shop and play thru some amps and use your ears?

music doesnt run on letters and numbers....
Quote by travs2448
personally i would get a fender. Some of the best tube amp you can buy for that price, unless you budget is unlimited and you want a wall of full stacks i would get a hughes and katner. but fender has some nice tubes amps. good tweed and you can use the high pre amp viocing on it if it has one. if not just go buy a metel muff

Jesus Christ, he wants to play metal, not blues.

The Bugera is good, look at Peavey 6505s and maybe some ENGLs.
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by MrFunkNasty
why dont you go to a shop and play thru some amps and use your ears?

music doesnt run on letters and numbers....

Because the only music shop where I live only has Marshall solid states.

And what is "music doesnt run on letters and numbers...." supposed to mean?
Quote by DespisedIcon
Jesus Christ, he wants to play metal, not blues.

The Bugera is good, look at Peavey 6505s and maybe some ENGLs.

Thanks mate, I'll look into the 6505, I have heard ENGLs are awesome, although they're super expensive.
Don't get a Fender amp unless you're planning on getting most of your gain from pedals.

I'd look at Bugeras. They make great sounding amps, despite some reliability issues.
I may be biased as I own one, but the Randall RG50TC is excellent for metal.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Omen 6/AHB-1
Randall RG50TC
TS9/808 Plus Mod
MXR KFK 10-band EQ
Quote by AloneInSpace
Don't get a Fender amp unless you're planning on getting most of your gain from pedals.

I'd look at Bugeras. They make great sounding amps, despite some reliability issues.

Yeah, I don't really think Fenders would be much good for what I play.
I said I had been looking at Bugeras, and they're the most likely choice for me at the moment.

Thanks mate
Quote by MegaD

Hadn't heard of that one before, I'll have to have a look

Thanks
I'd wait for the new 6505+ combo to come out. You'll have enough for it, and it would be great for you.
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
I'd wait for the new 6505+ combo to come out. You'll have enough for it, and it would be great for you.

Sounds great, have listened to a few samples of the 6505 and it sounds pretty great.

Cheers
Quote by MegaD

i tried that amp and a hybrid version of it ( randall rg100 g3 plus ) and i left that day with the 100w hybrid. on the sight it acually says its 140w, and its a hybrid so u can get it over the drums easy. even small giging for that matter. for metal in you price range ( i rounded it to 600-800 canadian) you dont acually have a huge amount of options for metal sound. randall makes affordable beasts like the one i bought,and id stay away from modeling amps like the peavey vypyr, go ahead and get a 15w version for fun, but its not an amp its a toy. a computer with a speaker type of thing.

try randalls
try used peaveys in your price range
try line 6, although personally im not fond of them
try marshall maybe, little less gain for your budget but if you really like them ( no mg's )

if you cant go somewhere and try them out, dont judge an amp on youtube sounds. i tried all of those and i left with the randall rg100 g3 plus, its my reccomendation if you want heaping amounts of controlled gain, yet for some reason also has an amasing clean channel. and it has 2x12 celestion speakers, which gives it the bass and such you need for metal.

i bought mine for 599.99 canadian plus tax if it helps, it was also on sale a bit

and the new 6505 combo will rather still be $1000 or itl be crap, well not crap but theres no way itl b as good as the original 6505 which IMO my randall competes heavily with.
Last edited by allskillage at Mar 8, 2009,
In Europe it should be out in the summer hopefully.
You can save up more for the 2x12 6505 combo but you lose cleans and gain a bit of aggressiveness(and an extra speaker).
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo thats coming out soon will be priced at around $600, give or take. so that would a great option. 60 watts all tube
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Quote by McMetal
I get great metal tones out of Randalls. You should check those out

yeah i had a 2x12 Randal combo when i was about 13-14 maybe. had the old Randall Jaguar speakers in it. was a decent sounding amp. decent cleans and a nice OD
Gear:
Mesa MK IV head
Mesa 4x12 cab(3)
Marshall JCM900 2100 SL-X
BBE 482i
ESP eclispe II
B52 At-100 head
MXR and Boss pedals
Sparow guitars
Peavey 5150 II modded
JJ electronic tubes

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Try an old 5150 amp. about 500 on ebay. If you can't find one I would go with a randall.