I posted this in another thread but I'm not getting any answers, sorry if this is against the rules.
BUMP but I have another question; Is 100w too much?
I mean, I'll mostly be playing at home, jamming with a band and really small gigs.
In the store they have the 100w bandit and the same in 45 watts. what one should I get?
I was reading some reviews and they say that they're playing to 100-150 people, and they never need to have the volume over 4?

So is 45/50 watts enough to play to 50-ish people in a small bar?

Also I should add that this would probably be with a 4x12 extension cabinet.
Cheers guys.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
45-50 watts is plenty for practicing at home, with other musicians, and small gigs. It's even enough for large gigs if you mic your cabinet and run through the PA.
Quote by las7
I had a past g/f that called me "bitch" while we had sex.
Any simular expirances UG users?
coolios. that'll save me quite a bit of money.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
first, you probably dont even need a cabinet. it doesnt make it any louder, so if you're using it with a combo it might be kinda redundant. The wattage is all a matter of preference. I personally would go 100, but it all depends what kind of music you play, how loud you want it to potentially go, etc.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Are you talking tube or solid state? My kustom coupe is 36 watts tube and she's more then powerful enough to play any gig. Really, your amp only has to be loud enough to be heard over a drummer at practice because, like ibanez12306 said, pretty much all shows you will play your amp is going to miked anyways. I've only ever played 4 showes where my amp wasent miked. Three of them were at my school and the other was at a show where we had to use my pa and I only have one mic.

Edit: My band played a show once and our singers amp blew so he had to use a 5watt ss practice amp to play for 300-400 people. The sound guy just miked it up and none knew the difference. The amp it's self sounded like **** now mind you but it worked.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by sheldonpardy at Mar 8, 2009,
I just sold my Peavey Windsor because of that. Had it a year and put maybe 40hrs on it.
They only thing it was truly good for was getting the cops to the house. I liked it well enough just couldn't use that much power.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
i've got a 50 watt and i can tell you, she scream's at four. my parents are currently sleeping so i cant turn it on right now, but normally when im jamming like home alone, i dont turn volum past 6, at 10, it can be heard down my street, with a 4x12 too btw

edit : i mean THERE IS NEVER TO MUCH WATTAGE UREH
The main difference between 50/100watts is headroom. If you like your cleans clean, get a 100watt.
If it's a solid state it generally doesn't matter. Your best going for higher wattage for more headroom really.

For tube amps you have to be careful with wattage as they sound better cranked up high so basically you have to be sensible. eg: don't get a 300 watt tube amp if you only play in your bedroom, it will sound weak at low volumes and the voloume it would have to be at to sound great would be louder than concorde takeing off

So in generall solid state amps break up and sound bad at high volumes so you really need more wattage than you actually need if you know what I mean, as you'll probly be only playing it at half volume even at a gig for the best tone.

For tube amps, well it's alittle more complex because they're more tempermental. They sound much better cranked so you need something small wattage (especially since a 50 tube amp will be much louder than a 100 watt solid state) but like solid state they can also break up albit at maximum volume so you need something with abit of headroom
Quote by SideshowRaven24
first, you probably dont even need a cabinet. it doesnt make it any louder, so if you're using it with a combo it might be kinda redundant. The wattage is all a matter of preference. I personally would go 100, but it all depends what kind of music you play, how loud you want it to potentially go, etc.

I don't even own a cabinet, it's just the venues round here usually share one cab for all the bands, which is quicker and you don't need to move the mic(if there is one) around or anything.
Quote by sheldonpardy
Are you talking tube or solid state?
the amp might be called transTUBE and have little icons or valves printed on it, but it's definately solid state.
Quote by Retro Rocker
The main difference between 50/100watts is headroom. If you like your cleans clean, get a 100watt.
Well I play mostly 80's thrash, so there's not a lot of cleans going on, I play a bit of ska at home but that's going to be pretty quiet, and if I need to play a clean intro or anything, I can turn down the volume on my guitar/picksoftly, so I'm not too bothered about that.

You can kinda see the size of the the pub all the bands in my town play in here:

no stage, it's pretty much a practice room that you can drink in.

EDIT:Wow, big post
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
Well in that case you would want about 100 watt ss. My last amp was a fender fm halfstack and I would say that my Coupe is morepowerful then what that was.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
100 watts are great.Just use a 1x12 cab at home. When you use les speakers you can drive the amp harder to get the same loudness, if the speakers have the same efficiancy.
^did you honestly just compare that amp to a bandit?

are you set on this brand?
is he giving you a great deal or something?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Yes, solidstate amps would for me require at least a 100 Watts to become loud enough. You want to be able to hear yourself over the drums well, right?

That said, I never really got why serious musicians would blow their money on a large solid state amp when for the same cash they could get a second hand tube amp of múch higher value. But that's just me

~ For tube amps, you don't need anything higher than 50 Watt (it fills the largest of regular venues without any further amplification/mic-ing). Unless you're a hot shot big time band that has money to blow on 8x12 cabinets and such. Then maybe you could consider getting a 100 Watt tube amp. But only for on stage! ~
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Nothing is too much lol. If you think you need 100w, go with it. If you have enough for that and get a decent practice amp for you home/jam sessions get both. Only you will know what you really need.
Quote by jj1565
^did you honestly just compare that amp to a bandit?

are you set on this brand?
is he giving you a great deal or something?

yeah I'm getting a really good deal.
only thing is 100w is probably going to be way too much to use at home.

I think my plan is, 45w amp now, and if I can get my band started properly, get something bigger?
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
You need ten times the power to double the volume. Its cheaper to change the speaker in your cab to a more/less efficiant one.
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
yeah I'm getting a really good deal.
only thing is 100w is probably going to be way too much to use at home.

I think my plan is, 45w amp now, and if I can get my band started properly, get something bigger?

it's solid state. the extra 50 vs 100 watts, isnt really an issue.
it's tube amps that change tones at low volumes. SSs play at any vol, actually sounding their worst when pushed too hard.

i would get the one that's not buzzing or broken.

if you have a budget, i'd like to know what it is, maybe there's something better suited to what you play.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I went right ahead and bought the 80/100 watt, that way, I won't have to upgrade amps for a long time. I've been messing with the controls for about 2 hours now and i love it.

I'll post back here, maybe tomorow with some sound clips or something, if you want?
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
well IMO you can never have too much power. If push comes to shove you can always turn the volume down.

then again if its so loud that your breaking windows then you have a problem lol. but other than that i say go for the 100w

\m/