I just recently got a book to learn some blues. Its called blues bass basics. Now im learning all the material in it and i like the way it sounds but i cant really find songs with it in it. I don't really listen to blues so i don't even know where to start. Could someone please tell me some good songs with 12 bars blues in it. Also if anyone knows any helpful blues patterns or anything that would be appreciated. The only song i realy know is Green Onions and i really like that one. So if there is anything like that please let me know.And i seared for this and i couldn't find a thread so if there is something already please just give me the link.
Last edited by Nucci009 at Mar 8, 2009,
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Woo hoo, green onions, i played that song on trumpet in a big band, its awesome, i ant really help though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by barronobeefdip
Isn't there a reccomemned listening section at the back, like thats normally in music books?

Well there are only four songs. I'm learning them right now just wondering what else there was.
Try old fleetwood mac (Peter Green vintage). Muddy Waters, early Stones, Chicken Shack, Elmore James. There's hundreds of examples and lots of early 60's and 70's songs are modified 12 bars. Most rock'n roll, beach boys and soul is of this type. Have a listen to Duffy's 'Mercy' the chorus is a 12 bar in C and the verse a very slightly modified 12. It uses the same patterns as Green Onions.

I used Fleetwood Mac to practice to as they have nice easy to follow patterns and a very steady meter. Elmore is simple too.

Great practice as well. Playing blues patterns in G is great for stretching and loostening up the fingers and more interesting than spider exercises.
Anything by Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Chuck Berry, Some ZZ Top and alot of classic rock has the same blues structure. Try Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen, as that has an awesone 12bar bassline. The best way to learn blues is just to get a backing track and jam along. I love Jamming out blues on my bass.
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
All you need to do is listen to most of the early Rock & Roll (true R&R not Led Zep) Jerry Lee Lewis especialy his left hand keyboard work is the basic boogie run with some variations.
Gene Vincent Be-Bop-A-lula is a slow 12 bar Blues with stops, you will also pick up bridge passages/Middle eights from many of them.

Johnny B Goode (1, 4, 5) is OK but don't fall into the trap of coming down from 5 to 4 everytime.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Phil Starr
Try old fleetwood mac (Peter Green vintage).

A good friend of mine who is our top guitar repairer/builder/modifier has the headstock off of a Gibson of Greenies, the 'Macs' roadie in their early days brought it in for repairs but it needed a complete heastock replacement; hence the original is still there.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn