I have a question. I am a 47 year old beginniner guitar player, of medium talent, who takes formual 30 minutes lessons every week. I practice about 30 to 60 minutes everyday ( I would like to do more, but can't). The fact that I am starting so late, and not at 15 or less of age, is there any possiblity that within 10 years (as mentioned I have moderate talent) that I will be fairly competent at this instrument?

I know this may sound like a stupid quesiton, but, I wanted to ask it anyway.

Thanks in Advance,

Lguitarjsm
Of course you can. You just have to practice. Personally, I don't understand why so many people just say "Nah, I'm to old to start" instead of trying.
Guitars:

Schecter Omen 6
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet
Granada F1/65

Amp:

Ibanez Toneblaster 15R
Last edited by bade0815 at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by LGuitarjsm
The fact that I am starting so late, and not at 15 or less of age, is there any possiblity that within 10 years (as mentioned I have moderate talent) that I will be fairly competent at this instrument?

Most definitely. Set achievable short term goals with your practice and approach it objectively, you'll find yourself improving faster than you'd have thought possible.

Playing with others will also see you improving faster.

..and most importantly, have fun!
You can never be too young or old to start something.

EDIT:
Three days grace - never too late
Learn that ;D
Last edited by Aurigo at Mar 8, 2009,
Yea dude go for it. It gives you something to do when you are bored why not. Don't feel like you are too old to do anything, I really don't age plays a factor in how fast you learn. If you are in the mindset that you will succeed at guitar then you will. If you practice a fair each day I would bet that in 2 years you will progress significantly. You would be surprised.
I don't see why it's too late. Better late than never I suppose
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
of course you can. my friends dad is 50 and he started playing bass a year ago.
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
Thanks for all of your great responses. You have encouraged me. I guess the reason why I asked the question because I know someone who said that they started playing at the age of 16 (and they are now 40) and they said that they started to late, that they missed the boat, which to me was discouaging because she is a really good guitar player.

Any additional thoughts, I would love to hear from you?

Thanks
Lguitarjsm
I think if you practice and don't give up, you can be fairly competent WITHIN 10 years. If you are truly passionate about it, then you will have no problem

oh and another thing is that make your foundation really strong, so you don't end up a few years down the road having to relearn everything from scratch because you were doing it wrong.

other than that, good luck sir
Quote by LGuitarjsm
I know someone who said that they started playing at the age of 16 (and they are now 40) and they said that they started to late,

I guess it comes down to what you want to achieve with your playing. If you're wanting a shot at a recording contract and making a squillion dollars then there's many other obstacles outside of age to overcome.

If you want to form a band with some likeminded people and play some small pub gigs or parties around the place, and basically kick back and have a ball, then you're never far from that goal.
Is it theoretically possible to be good enough to play in front of an audience with 2-3 years of starting the guitar?
I would support anyone who has the courage to start at any age. "Too late" is something in your head. If you keep it in your mind that you're "too late" to start, then you will never get anywhere.

Remember this aswell, music can be the funnest thing in the world, but it can also be the most work in the world.

Here's another thing, 10 years is a long time to become moderately good. I would bet that within a year you'll be able to play a a moderate level. I've been playing 5 years without a teacher - there is a difference here - and I can play as good as some pros, according to my friends.

Remember - Too late is a thing that is in your mind. It's your imagination. Talk to your teacher if you ever get stuck or you could always send Freepower a private message. He has basically taught me how to play...period and I've never even met the guy.

Quote by Slappydappy
Is it theoretically possible to be good enough to play in front of an audience with 2-3 years of starting the guitar?

Let me get your question straight...You are asking if it's possible to play in front of an audience with 2-3 years of guitar playing experience, right? If that is your question that it is more than possible. In fact, I had only played 2 years when I played in front of an audience - I had a guitar solo in my schools Jazz Band.
Last edited by The.new.guy at Mar 8, 2009,
If you never give up, you never lose!
Bite off more than you can chew, AND CHEW IT!
An obstacle is something you just haven't TORN THROUGH YET
You are awesome, go and prove it!
Even if you fall on your face, you are still moving forward!
YOU HAVE NO LIMITS!

.....go for it dude, if this is something you want to do start now. Don't make any excuses. If you don't start now you will just keep regretting not starting earlier. I'm 20 and I regret not starting sooner when I first wanted to learn when I was in middle school and high school. I started though, and its great. You just need to jump in there and say that this is something you want to do. Putting it off until later doesn't get you any closer to what you want.
^^ Fook, chaosNil thats speach was shibbs.
Were can i buy tickets to your motivational seminars?

Lol, but seriously mate, its never to late.
Music don't have an age restriction.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
i was 50 when i started. everybody said i was nuts, too old. year and a half later i'm still nuts, i know my chords, scales, and can play some easy stuff right through.
the right teacher really helps.
Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special
Fender Blues Jr
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
I wont be having many more motivational seminars until the economy over here settles down some. Right now I'm giving them out on the side of the street for very little money T_T
Hell yaeh go for it dude! Im 38 and trying tolearn to play and ihave never played ANY instrument before.My 1st lesson was Thursday,But now i know G,C,and D chords!
Nice going jigman. Keep up with it. Learn what chords you can and be able to change them smoothly.

After that you can learn some of the blues chords (mostly 7th chords). Adds all sorts of style into your playing.
Just started (15) I would like to point out that my friend started when he was 12 and I honestly think I will be better at fundamentals than him by the end of the year. By fundamentals I mean Chords, Scales, ect. I may not be able to "shred" Tapping and swiping 5 million times a minute, but I could Write the back-bone to a song no problem.

Since you are a little up there (not to be mean but you are like 20 years from arthritis)(plz dont be mad about that) you can't afford mistakes. Here is the biggest mistakes that my friend did.

1. Wanted to do much more than he could. He wanted to be able to play straight through "Crazy Train" (solo and all) by his second day. (exaggeration but you get it).

2. He didn't learn chords. We had this Christian concert deal, and we had most the members. But we needed a guitarist. So I told them My friend would do it. When he got there he said he couldn't read the music because it wasn't tabbed. We were like WHAT? and these were simple chords, G, C, D, A, E and a few others. We had a month to not only teach him the chords but also teach them the songs. So the moral of that story is, "Do things that make life easier." "Learn to crawl before you can walk. Learn to walk before you can Run."

thats my advice, don't just go through picking songs that you like. Pick ones that can help you. My first couple of songs that I am learning are

"Mother"-Pink floyd-album the Wall
"Horse With No Name"-not sure on info. I know that you only need to know 2 chords.

So hang in their.
Last edited by JimmyJuinor at Mar 9, 2009,
Wow, if you are around 50 you have a thing that we younger guys don't have. It is called PATIENCE!!!

So go and play some guitar
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
If you have "moderate" talent it wont take 10 years for you to be decent. I started playing a age 35 teaching myself. Within about a 1 1/2 years I could play decent rythm guitar. Im talking about stuff like that Eagles,John Melloncamp, Johnny Cash. Im no metal head. I did take formal lessons for about a year and it helped speed the learning and made me learn stuff I couldnt comprehend myself.

Just keep playing and have fun!!
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
Quote by LGuitarjsm
I have a question. I am a 47 year old beginniner guitar player, of medium talent, who takes formual 30 minutes lessons every week. I practice about 30 to 60 minutes everyday ( I would like to do more, but can't). The fact that I am starting so late, and not at 15 or less of age, is there any possiblity that within 10 years (as mentioned I have moderate talent) that I will be fairly competent at this instrument?

If you continue as you are now now, playing and practicing regularly and enjoying playing the instrument, within 10 years you'll be at least a good guitarist.

I've had a pupils around your age and if anything they progress faster than most 15 year olds due to having learnt life skills like "Shutting up and listening".
Quote by JimmyJuinor
Just started (15) I would like to point out that my friend started when he was 12 and I honestly think I will be better at fundamentals than him by the end of the year. By fundamentals I mean Chords, Scales, ect. I may not be able to "shred" Tapping and swiping 5 million times a minute, but I could Write the back-bone to a song no problem.

Since you are a little up there (not to be mean but you are like 20 years from arthritis)(plz dont be mad about that) you can't afford mistakes. Here is the biggest mistakes that my friend did.

1. Wanted to do much more than he could. He wanted to be able to play straight through "Crazy Train" (solo and all) by his second day. (exaggeration but you get it).

2. He didn't learn chords. We had this Christian concert deal, and we had most the members. But we needed a guitarist. So I told them My friend would do it. When he got there he said he couldn't read the music because it wasn't tabbed. We were like WHAT? and these were simple chords, G, C, D, A, E and a few others. We had a month to not only teach him the chords but also teach them the songs. So the moral of that story is, "Do things that make life easier." "Learn to crawl before you can walk. Learn to walk before you can Run."

thats my advice, don't just go through picking songs that you like. Pick ones that can help you. My first couple of songs that I am learning are

"Mother"-Pink floyd-album the Wall
"Horse With No Name"-not sure on info. I know that you only need to know 2 chords.

So hang in their.

you dont need to learn chords and stuff
you just need to know how to read sheet to find out the timing
its not a must its a choice
Quote by satcre3
you dont need to learn chords and stuff
you just need to know how to read sheet to find out the timing
its not a must its a choice

The guy above me has probably played longer than me, but i disagree with him, go straight to chords and strum out some songs
Nothing better than learning the basics by doing the basics, once youve found your bearings then go on to learning theory. youl find youl pick up chord names and postions just by learning songs.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
haha trust me i havent
but i have played bass for a couple years and
i listen to a lot of trash that my mate talks about guitar
Bass is different, believe me know your chords you can play anything, write anything, and just have fun.
Yeah, I have to second chords. I think after the extreme basics of holding the guitar and stuff the first thing is probably knowing how to play a few single notes. That means something very easy a sort of "mary had a little lamb" sort of thing and then go on to chords. After you know how to press one string and hold it down you press multiple. Then learn a strum. Then change to one other chord (I'm thinkin Horse with No Name here) and then learn to do a little timing with that strum. Bam. You played a song. If they can handle that then you learn more chords, more strumming patterns, and chord changes. After that you learn a small amount of theory with knowing what chords go well with each other, keep playing some more songs, learning more strumming patterns, then go on to learning to appegiate some things.

After that I think it depends on what the person likes and wants to go onto. But that for sure is the basics. From there you can go to scales and more theory or advanced strumming patterns and really crazy chord changes and appegiations and hammer ons and pull offs and rhythm guitar in general.
Anyone can learn guitar at any age except if ur like 100 which u are not .
So yeah preatty much.
I'm 53, started about 18 months ago, although i've had guitars over the years, this is the first time i've put my mind to it. Just doing it for me, having fun doing it.
47?...... You're just a bit of a kid!!
Fender Roadhouse Deluxe Strat
Vintage Acoustic
Home-made 18 Watt all valve Marshall clone
Talent: zero (but trying)
I`m 45 and only started last year the way i look at it is like this , as i teenager i tried to learn and gave real quick i wasn`t as good as angus young after a few weeks so thought this is too hard , but now being older i`m far more patient and more likely to get on with it better and have; i`m still rubbish but getting better every time i pick up the guitar
yes all six strings buzz !! but it`s unique isn`t it
I started at age 36, it will be a year in May for me playing and taking lessons
My Father is 61 and I trying to get him to start playing
I wish I would have recorded myself playing my first few weeks, to see how far I have come along

I agree with starting out with Chords and Scales
And play songs you want to learn
Like my guitar teacher says when he can tell I am frustrated, have fun with it
and Relax, music is about having fun
Snug the frets and play clean, don't worry about speed that will only hurt you in the begining
I wish Bar Chords were easier, but you have to stick with it and pickup the guitar everday for at least 20-30 minutes to progress

my thoughts, good luck and have fun
Trust in your self man you'll improve and become great guitar player. Set yourself some specific and measurable goals for where you want to be as a guitar play in 5 years, 2 years, 6months,ect. and come up with a plan to get there. Like if you want more pratice time wake/go to sleep a hour later. Don't give up, never stop improving and its never too late.