Page 1 of 2
Mr Bonamassa is clearly one of the most humble and kind people you can talk to. Never mind that he also happens to be a phenomenal player with tone that makes me weep.

He is always helpful and friendly as well as provided all the information you could ever wish to have on his gear - you could have it all and still not sound anywhere near as good.

To the people who think he's over-hyped and a "Johnson rip-off" - yeah, thanks - Let me hear your music...

I thought I'd post this from a while back on his forums - from the man himself.

The guy was going from an MG halfstackfacepalm to grabbing a valve amp with a good budget of £500 - sadly only about $700 for the poor UK economy....but call it $1000 in times of normality...

See what you think of what he says (since he owns all the amps I would like and has tried clearly everything)

It might be a helpful post to some of you looking in the same direction.

Ok... This is too much fun to stay out of.
500 pounds or about $1000 usd

Amps I like for that much new/used

Marshall DSL 50 1X12 combo
Fender hot rod deville 2X12 combo
used Vox AC 30 reissue
used circa 94 Peavey Classic 30 or 50 and while you are at it try to find a Val-Verb
vintage Lab Series L-5 or L-7 solid state but BB King and Ty Tabor love em.. so do I
used Mesa Boogie Lonestar 2X12 maybe a bit more than a grand but a good amp
used Marshall 30th anniversary 1X12 combo again maybe a bit more again
vintage silver face Bassman or bandmaster
vintage marshall JCM 800 combo
vintage Garnett 30 (by Gar Gilies of Winepeg CA)

Amps to beware of... Im not saying dont buy them but give them a good listen

DR Z...I know I know people love them.. I have never played one that did it for me, again if you own one and like it .. thats great.
Fender Blues Deville series... The original ones were very very very bright... did I say they were bright?
Anything that says Crate and voodoo on it
Anything that says Johnson or Cyber on it
Anything that says KRANK on it.. They are used in a lot in Heavy Metal, but sound like vacuum cleaners to me.

anyway thats my 2 cents...
Thanks
Joe Bonamassa

Love the Krank comment!!!
Last edited by davedoom at Mar 9, 2009,
Hes a cool cat, he had a pretty good interview in Guitar Player last issue (he got the cover too). I didnt realize you could get such a good amp for the price, Ill have to remember this in a couple years when I want to add one to the roster.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
man, he likes SILVERFACE bassmans, but not Dr. Zs? i tried a used MAZ head and compered it to a vintage SF Bassman. i can say that the Z head was quite a bit better.

to each his own, i guess...
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Bonamassa has too much gear.

In which case, he makes a great advisor on this.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Man, all I want is a Fuchs - that would do everything for me!

I nearly died hearing /that/ clean sound come out of a Les Paul.

Nay, I have not got £3k - stupid pound against the dollar again means I won't be buying an amp unless
a) Economy makes £1=$2
b) I get famous or wealthy enough to by one.

A Two-Rock at 10k though....get me a bucket.
A Van-Weelden at ............get me out of here.
Kranks rape if you know how to use the EQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

+1
The Krankenstein can have an absolute omfgwtfbbqsauce metal tone if EQed correctly - a boost for good measure also helps

YNGEDIT:
For example: http://www.netmusicians.org/files/60-krankersore2-06.mp3
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Last edited by Yngwi3 at Mar 8, 2009,
Yeah, but what he is saying is that sounds like crud. Which it does.

I've played the Krank and it just sounds messy. Where is the sound of the guitar, the wood, the pickups, the pedals you put into it?

These PWNBR00TLZ amp discussion is fairly void here anyway - all the metal bands I see are noisy, messy, loud heavy sound. After 20 or so bands along the lines of Devil Driver, KsE etc etc - they all blur into one for me. The P.As at festivals make lots of them sound exactly the same...

You're right, Kranks rape my ears - but is rape a good thing? My ears want pleasure, not blood pouring out of them.

EDIT: That is Erock is it not on the soundclip!?
Last edited by davedoom at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by MatrixClaw

I just saw a metal band last night and the guitarist had a Krank... and his tone was awesome.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by davedoom

It is indeed
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Quote by davedoom
Yeah, but what he is saying is that sounds like crud. Which it does.

I've played the Krank and it just sounds messy. Where is the sound of the guitar, the wood, the pickups, the pedals you put into it?

These PWNBR00TLZ amp discussion is fairly void here anyway - all the metal bands I see are noisy, messy, loud heavy sound. After 20 or so bands along the lines of Devil Driver, KsE etc etc - they all blur into one for me. The P.As at festivals make lots of them sound exactly the same...

You're right, Kranks rape my ears - but is rape a good thing? My ears want pleasure, not blood pouring out of them.

That's the thing, though, he's saying he thinks it sounds bad, not that it empirically sounds bad. Joe doesn't play teh br00talz, and just like I wouldn't ask a metal dude for advice on a blues amp, I wouldn't ask a blues guy for advice on a metal amp.

I think Kranks can sound great for what they are. But to apply your reasoning past the application of what that amp is designed to do is asinine. One wouldn't play a Krank for smooth McBlues tones, and one wouldn't play a Fuchs for metal.

On the opinions of Joe B: I think it's interesting to hear him talk about gear, regardless of what it is, just like I enjoy hearing pretty much any pro musician talk about gear. Do I agree with everything he said? Absolutely not. Do I still love his music and appreciate him as a musician? Yes.
Though with his technical ability - I would think it would be a lot easier for him to apply those skills to play a bit of metal and the shred end - rather harder for metal guys to play blues with any feeling.
Anyway, none of that is the point - it is about what he is saying on advice on amps for people starting to get into valve.
Quote by imgooley

On the opinions of Joe B: I think it's interesting to hear him talk about gear, regardless of what it is, just like I enjoy hearing pretty much any pro musician talk about gear.

+1

It's so rare to hear them talk about gear, and when they do, it's sometimes bull**** (Zakk Wylde's MG endorsement et al) I like to hear their words of wisdom, considering they've 'made it' in the music industry and sometimes popular culture.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
haha, 500 pounds for a lonestar. good luck with that.

and im praying i can find a used lonestar for a $1000. im expecting at least 1300 when i finally have the cash saved up.

but anyway, i sure do love that guy.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
sounds good to me EDIT: ^ but agreed, some of his prices are a bit off.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 8, 2009,
^^Correct - we are looking at a minimum of £1500ish now I would say.

No one in the UK can really do much if they want to go boutique it seems - prove me wrong otherwise...
Quote by davedoom

No one in the UK can really do much if they want to go boutique it seems - prove me wrong otherwise...

what do you mean by that?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what do you mean by that?

It was an open invitation, Dave...

No, I was just pointing out earlier that the exchange rate (plus whacking it up on electrical items) means it is difficult - is it not - to buy some of those nice amps. (I mentioned Two-Rock - how bout Splawn and Mojave - I wouldn't like to import them).

Just one quick fact here - on Thomann - my old amp - the Blackmore :new: has gone up around £250 in six months or so....there could be many reasons.

I sold mine with a flightcase and the footswitch to someone for what I originally bought it for - £650
Quote by davedoom

Eh, depends. There are plenty of people who'll build you a custom amp in Europe, so it's not impossible - it's just that there are only a few boutique amp builders that are well known. (Only ones I can think of at the moment are Diezel and THC.)

Besides, a boutique amp isn't necessarily better than a high-end amp from a big company. To my ears, the H&K Duotone is the best thing I ever heard, I'd take it over any boutique amp (admittedly, it costs as much as a boutique amp though).

I think that the grass is always greener on the other side... if we were located in the US, we'd probably be whining about all the European amps being so darn expensive.
^ yeah, there's a bit of "grass is greener" syndrome too.

^^ oh, ok, i just didn't really understand what you meant. I agree, with the non-UK-made stuff, at any rate. there are some british boutique amps which are better value.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by davedoom

I sold mine with a flightcase and the footswitch to someone for what I originally bought it for - £650

Blackmores go for crazy prices. They're 1150€ new at the moment and one I was hoping to get went for over 900€ on ebay.

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, there's a bit of "grass is greener" syndrome too.

^^ oh, ok, i just didn't really understand what you meant. I agree, with the non-UK-made stuff, at any rate. there are some british boutique amps which are better value.

Post list naoh.
er... off the top of my head

cornford
cornell
martamp/MJW amps as it's now called (haven't tried, but hear great things- great value too)
matamp
wolfetone
mango (haven't tried)

probably a bunch of other ones too, those are the ones i can think of offhand...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Copied and pasted, thank you.

I've never heard of Mango or Martamp and haven't even seen any of the ones you listed in real life before. Bluargh. I'm visiting one of the larger stores in the country next week, maybe they'll have something interesting.
What, you haven't heard of Matamp!?

I really need to have a go on all the Cornfords actually, Dave.

Perhaps my max. level of gain is in the Bonamassa zone - well solos.
I need to go on a hunt for a nice pedalboard - that means a fair few pedals.

A nice OD - or just a clean boost - I much prefer amp distortion.

I can see that as much as I want to gig more and more and song ideas pop up - I will need a two amp min. set up.

As much as I surprise myself - I am increasingly hanging on most of what Joe says, due to the fact of it being true - then applying it in my own way - and budget.
Im not 12 and looking for a Cube, but a really satisfying rig for me is way off....boooooo
You guys get screwed pretty good for amps over yonder. Really the only thing that I miss are the vox ac30s and those really aren't too bad over here. Chinese manufacturing for the win/loss?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
You guys get screwed pretty good for amps over yonder. Really the only thing that I miss are the vox ac30s and those really aren't too bad over here. Chinese manufacturing for the win/loss?

They get Laney over there, though, which is invariably win.
Never tried a laney. I'd like to try a Hiwatt though.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
And Orange

YNGEDIT:
Quote by TheQuailman
And Orange!
And Hiwatt!
And Engl!
And Framus!
And Marshall!
And H&K!

Really, we're not THAT bad off.

Oh snap this reply and all other ones after that (up until this one) weren't there when I opened the thread

Yeah. We're not terribly bad off.
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Last edited by Yngwi3 at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by davedoom
Eugh, thanks! Laney............

Laney............

..........bugger.

I want a GH50L so bad, it's not even funny. That and an AOR 50.

And a Hiwatt Custom 50.

And a Matamp Kingstreet Major.
Quote by TheQuailman
How's the GH50, goolz? There's one on ebay right now...

It's bright while being thick. I've not played one, but have seen one used irl. I've played an AOR, though
Quote by TheQuailman
And Orange!
And Hiwatt!
And Engl!
And Framus!
And Marshall!
And H&K!

Really, we're not THAT bad off.

Orange - Some, still I got mine tweaked and KT88s
Hiwatt - Good for expanding sounds with pedals
Engl - One trick ponies for me.
Framus - Again, one trick for me. Not amazing.
Marshall - Silver Jub. 30th Ann. JCM800s and 900 Mk3 - i.e. nothing new is any good.
H&K - Just stupidly expensive - bad voicing (for me).
Laney - I just have a problem with them. Everyone I've played has broken. Need re-tubing etc etc

Bitter, bitter British man right here.

Cornford though! Mmmmm
With me it's pretty much the other way around.

I liked those I listed, but the clips of Cornford amps I heard so far were really 'meh', at least to my ears.
Quote by TheQuailman
With me it's pretty much the other way around.

I liked those I listed, but the clips of Cornford amps I heard so far were really 'meh', at least to my ears.

Oh, but hearing one live - crikey!

I can't find many good ones on the 'tube - but at Music Live and some gigs i've been to - wow! I love the voicing also.
Matchless - they sound good to me!
Wasn't Matchless an American brand though?

Anyway, I gotta try out a Cornford I figure. I know that some people here would sell their ass for one...
****, for the price of a Matchless, I'd rather have a 65 amp.
Page 1 of 2