I break strings too often, i think. Every few weeks or so. But because i have no single strings, i usually end up changing the entire set. I hate having a pack with a note in saying "Missing A" or whatever.

How often does everyone else actually snap a string, and which one is it?
For me its either the Low Estring or A.

edit: oh and i heard you're supposed to restring your entire guitar every month or so. Is this correct?
i replace mine when ever they need it sound bad or what ever cleaning them extends the life some what but i v just started using erni ball super slinkys and they are great you can tune them up almost a full step and for acoustic i use jim dunlop phosphor bronze wich have an awesome tone and life
Well I don't break strings that often. But usually it's the high E. I change strings every 2nd month, and it works well for me. (I'm using earnie Ball or D'Addario)

I think it's because I bend too much.

But the optimal thing is to change your strings every 2-4 weeks. It's just too expensive
The guitar I recently bought had been hanging in the store for a good while and I don't know if they have changed them there at all, so I'm thinking, should I change the whole set?
Would it make a huge noticeable difference in sound? If yeah, what would you recommend?
I like to play metal but with a very bright sound, nothing dark and muddylike, what would be the best to get?
i've only ever broke my strings 3 times and i've been playing for 4 years
so very rarely
and i dont think its every month, its whenever they start to change how they sound
Quote by dragonofice3
i replace mine when ever they need it sound bad or what ever cleaning them extends the life some what but i v just started using erni ball super slinkys and they are great you can tune them up almost a full step and for acoustic i use jim dunlop phosphor bronze wich have an awesome tone and life

He's right about everything, the best are Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, they last me at least 3 months, other kinds only last 1 month.
Quote by Lewadra
The guitar I recently bought had been hanging in the store for a good while and I don't know if they have changed them there at all, so I'm thinking, should I change the whole set?
Would it make a huge noticeable difference in sound? If yeah, what would you recommend?
I like to play metal but with a very bright sound, nothing dark and muddylike, what would be the best to get?

Ernie Ball stings is what you want. Angus Young uses them, Jimmy Page uses them, Clapton uses them... even Kirk Hammett.
i haven't broken a string in forever. but i usually change them when they start to feel crappy to me...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
I hardly ever break strings. .11's are awfully hard to break.
But i have this douche friend who thinks that you aren't playing guitar well enough if you don't break strings every two weeks. lolwut?
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
I hardly ever break strings. .11's are awfully hard to break.
But i have this douche friend who thinks that you aren't playing guitar well enough if you don't break strings every two weeks. lolwut?

Same here! The only time I ever broke a string wasn't because of something I did, I had to file my saddle a tad. And I even snap a ton so they take the abuse very well.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
I've been using regular Slinkys.
And changing strings every 2-4 weeks is probably too expensive for a lot of people playing guitar! Specially kids or the unemployed- which most of this site is made up of i believe

Another question to ask:

How long does it usually take you to change all your strings?
takes me bout half an hour
it takes me like 10 minutes to change strings and i change them every 3 or 4 weeks, .09's tend to break easily when i wail on them
Mah Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Yamaha F-310
Kustom Arrow 16DFX
I break strings VERY rarely, and change them when I play gigs...and I don't play gigs anymore
I change them usually once every month or two months. I like the sound of worked in strings, and I couldn't be bothered to change them most the time. :P
But when I do restring, it usually takes anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes. Non FR of course.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by theotherguy7145
I've been using regular Slinkys.
And changing strings every 2-4 weeks is probably too expensive for a lot of people playing guitar! Specially kids or the unemployed- which most of this site is made up of i believe

Another question to ask:

How long does it usually take you to change all your strings?
takes me bout half an hour

About an hour lol. I always finding myself playing my guitar and forgetting about changing the strings.

But on a floyd about half an hour. Normally, I just think that I just wanna get it over and done with.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
I've had the same strings on my jagstang for seven years (I knew the person who last had it )
D'addario's are pretty soli so i never really break one. I change them when they need changing.
yeah. some people just never break strings which I find weird.
I do somewhat frequently.
I used to a bunch more.
I had to switch to softer picks because of it.

But as the topic creator was saying he doesn't have any single strings so always puts a new set on..
You realize to get single strings you have to start with full sets?

I hardly ever put a whole set on mine though >_>
I always just restring the broken one.
I bend quite a bit usually, 2-3 steps is normal , use 1mm picks and play with a strong touch and never break strings (10-46's). Unless you're Buddy Guy (who bends >3 steps) your strings are most likely breaking because you've either strung them incorrectly or most likely, you've a nick or sharp edge somewhere thats the culprit.
Moving on.....
I change mine every couple of months, or If I break a string earlier that that but its not often, im changing them tomorrow and giving the guitar a full cleanb as I have some in the post coming to me. I will be using Ernie ball standards for the first time, I'll see if they are as good as people say they are