Hey people!

I play electric guitar, but i have been getting interested about playing bass. I looked in my Guitar Center mail thingy and there were a couple deals (cant remember everything exactly)

One was an Ocean bass 400$. They look beautiful, but are they any good?

Also, there were these ibanez soundgear basses, like 200-300$

My budget is 0-400, but please tell me if any of these are good, im sorry about specifics, but if you know the models in this price range i would love to know what you think about them

Also, i play classic rock, hard rock, heavy metal, and when i get a bass im gona start playing jazz a little bit
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
I'd say go for a Mexican made Fender Jazz bass. They're really a solid bass. If you get one used it goes between like $320-$350.
I live by a friend who has a bass anmp. He literally lives right next to me and i would go over his house until i get money for one...so not a big problem there. Id probably put out another topic for an amp or just ask my friend
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Ocean Basses are pretty decent for the price. It's the same company that makes Laguna guitars.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Oh they're decent? I mean tbh looks count too, and for some reason i think they look gorgeous
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
I've played a few Oceans. I think they're really nice, especially for the price range.
played an ocean today at gc actually. was kind of impressed with them for a brand i never hear anything about. i'd go try one and if you like it get it. Since i never hear anything that means i never hear anything bad about quality. hehe.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I know most people won't mention it, but schecter makes good basses, they go for about the same as MIM fenders. As always, you should try out any bass before thinking about buying it. As a long shot, also try some squire basses, they're much better than their guitar counterparts and I just finished reading a thread where several guys said they liked the squires better than any $600+ bass they tried.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
The Vintage Modified Series by Squier always gets my vote, but for classic rock through to metal youd likely be looking at the P varients, and its the Js that I like.
I had an Ibanez Soundgear SRX305, now replaced by the SR305 I think, which is a very good bass for the genres you mentioned, sporting a monstrous 2-band EQ and the twin humbucker layout I now swear by, for a very reasonable price. Not sure about its Jazz skills, but if palm-muted could have worked.
As an aside, that particular model has 5-strings. I am assuming an extension of quality onto the fours.
for beginners id recommend the ibanez gsr200 for about $200 and then a 15-20 watt peavey bass amp for about the same price
Quote by the_underling
The Vintage Modified Series by Squier always gets my vote, but for classic rock through to metal youd likely be looking at the P varients, and its the Js that I like.

I got a Vintage Modified P-Bass (white/black pickguard) as my first bass about 4 months ago, but before that I was borrowing some different basses from my friends (including a Fender Jazz) and I like the VM better than all the others, haven't had a single problem with it yet, not even a tiny one. I honestly don't even want to upgrade the pickups or anything, but I am gonna be getting a pickup cover, bridge cover and finger rest.

It wouldn't fill the metal part of the criteria, but it'd be fine for the rock and stuff

they're around $260
Gear:
Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass
Kent Videocaster
Tech 21 SansAmp VT Bass Pedal
Last edited by Punk P-Bassist at Mar 20, 2009,
Yea peaveys aren't that bad (i have one). I really like my friends fender mim jazz bass though.
I would say go with a Ibanez GSR200 (roughly $200-250) or a SR300 (roughly $250-300)
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo