Hey, I've been playing guitar for about 3 years and I love it more than anything in the world. However, I've been listening to a lot of ska, and CAKE, and I'm starting to get into jazz. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about learning horns (I'm thinking trombone, but I might go with trumpet) or had advice. I know that horns are arranged the same way as guitar (I think) No one in my tiny town plays trombone and each time I listen to Reel Big Fish it seems like more and more fun.

Tl;dr: I wanna learn trombone so that my band can play ska songs

EDIT: I don't plan on giving up guitar
UG's Prodigal Son
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Mar 8, 2009,
do it. I didn't read the text, but learning a new instrument is never a bad thing.

edit: trumpet>trombone
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by jgbsmith
do it. I didn't read the text, but learning a new instrument is never a bad thing.

Is there any particular reason to go with trumpet over trombone?
UG's Prodigal Son
Quote by lunaticfringe93

It'd be brootal bra.

Well, actually I don't know. I just wanted to say something....

*sigh* another fail for me.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
I like trombone better.
And no, the notes aren't the same.
They're even in a different clef.
But trombones are sexy.
Trumpets are nice too, though.
I don't remember if they're concert pitch or not.
Oh, but trumpets are in Bb.
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
I'm sure I could find someone that will teach you how to play the skin flute if you're interested.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
I want to learn trumpet too and for the exact same reason, CAKE trumpet solos are the ****.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
Quote by lunaticfringe93

because I play trumpet, and my friend who plays trombone fingered a 13 year old?

Reel big fish don't use trombones much.
Maybe trumpet for you?

I want to learn trombone, so then I can play in a ska band
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Last edited by RubberPuppiessu at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by jgbsmith

FALSE!
Trombone>Trumpet.

But I'm biased. As are you most likely. TS, I'm just warning you, it'll be a while before you're good, no matter the instrument. Keep at it though and get a private teacher, you'll get there eventually.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
Well, you'll probably have to get a teacher to learn whatever you're going to play. I would. You need to learn how to get a good tone out of the instrument, so you don't sound like crap. Brass instruments are awesome when you know how to get a good sound. Good luck!

EDIT: I think it would be best if you learn trumpet. Once you get good at that, you can learn other brass instruments, they're played the same way (mouthpiece-wise). Once you learn how to blow in the mouthpiece right, you can play other brass instruments.
Last edited by Taxi_06 at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by Arrived+Dparted
FALSE!
Trombone>Trumpet.

But I'm biased. As are you most likely. TS, I'm just warning you, it'll be a while before you're good, no matter the instrument. Keep at it though and get a private teacher, you'll get there eventually.

yeah, whatever your instrumental bias , you are right. Neither are easy instruments to learn. I've been going to a (very good) private teacher for five years now, and, hell, I'm good, but not as good as I would be if it was guitar or keyboards.

Quote by RubberPuppiessu
Reel big fish don't use trombones much.
Maybe trumpet for you?

I want to learn trombone, so then I can play in a ska band

The Trombone sounds more prominent to me in RBF as well as in the Mighty Mighty Bosstones (my 2 favorite ska bands) than the trumpet are you sure that the trumpet is being used more (I know CAKE is a trumpet and there's no trombone)
UG's Prodigal Son
Trumpet = the guitar of brass instruments, filled with assholes who thinks people actually care about them. Good luck on learning trombone.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Trumpet = the guitar of brass instruments, filled with assholes who thinks people actually care about them. Good luck on learning trombone.

That's an interesting way of putting things. Also, Boston FTW
UG's Prodigal Son
Quote by Bamitchell
It'd be brootal bra.

Well, actually I don't know. I just wanted to say something....

*sigh* another fail for me.

This man speaks the truth.

hello
Quote by lunaticfringe93
Also, Boston FTW

Hell yes, Boston rocks.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by §ArmyofAngels§
I like trombone better.
And no, the notes aren't the same.
They're even in a different clef.
But trombones are sexy.
Trumpets are nice too, though.
I don't remember if they're concert pitch or not.
Oh, but trumpets are in Bb.

So you're a tromboner?
Quote by Xiaoxi
Hell yes, Boston rocks.

Boston rocks way harder than Cleveland claims to
UG's Prodigal Son
Quote by lunaticfringe93
Hey, I've been playing guitar for about 3 years and I love it more than anything in the world. However, I've been listening to a lot of ska, and CAKE, and I'm starting to get into jazz. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about learning horns (I'm thinking trombone, but I might go with trumpet) or had advice. I know that horns are arranged the same way as guitar (I think) No one in my tiny town plays trombone and each time I listen to Reel Big Fish it seems like more and more fun.

Tl;dr: I wanna learn trombone so that my band can play ska songs

EDIT: I don't plan on giving up guitar
Can i have your cake please?
trombone player here.

you need a good sense of pitch/intonation, and it will take a while to work up a proper embouchure/good flexibilty. the mouthpiece and bore are much bigger than a trumpet's, so it will be easier to make a sound when first starting out.

trombone is read primarily in bass clef, for more advanced players the higher notes will sometimes be in alto or tenor clef. good luck and have fun learning how to play, if you have any questions feel free to ask me
Last edited by strat335 at Mar 9, 2009,
I paly trombone, and it's a great instrument. Once you get down the basics of how to blow, each note is played by moving the slide to a designated position. It is fun, do it. THen join the trombonists of UG group (see my profile)

Quote by strat335
trombone player here.

you need a good sense of pitch/intonation, and it will take a while to work up a proper embouchure/good flexibilty. the mouthpiece and bore are much bigger than a trumpet's, so it will be easier to make a sound when first starting out.

trombone is read primarily in bass clef, for more advanced players the higher notes will sometimes be in alto or tenor clef. good luck and have fun learning how to play, if you have any questions feel free to ask me

this guy pretty much says everything I meant to say. listen to him, he knows how to summarize an instrument.
I Want One!!!

The Kraftwerkers: The Society for the Appreciation of Kraftwerk
Last edited by Salute to Jaco at Mar 9, 2009,
I'll start playing trombone as soon as I save up the money for one. Is there anything else I need to get with one?
UG's Prodigal Son
Quote by i_killed_bill
So you're a tromboner?

No, actually I'm not.
I play Tenor Sax, Guitar, Bass, Drums, Violin, Flute, and learning Piano.
But not trombone.
I just like the trombone's sound a lot more.
Edit: And I say go for trombone, dude.
It just looks like more fun and a bit more of a challenge than trumpet.
Plus I think it sounds cooler.
And I'm not a brass player, so I'm not super biased.
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
Last edited by §ArmyofAngels§ at Mar 11, 2009,
Quote by Salute to Jaco
I paly trombone, and it's a great instrument. Once you get down the basics of how to blow, each note is played by moving the slide to a designated position. It is fun, do it. THen join the trombonists of UG group (see my profile)

this guy pretty much says everything I meant to say. listen to him, he knows how to summarize an instrument.

^^
this
TROMBONERS FTW!!

didn't know there was a trombonists group. joining now.
Been playing the alto sax for four years, not my primary instrument, but I still love it.
trumpet cuz i play it and its a fun instrument
Member #8 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to join.

Quote by GuitarHero0715
The most ****ed up thing a woman can to do a man is give your d!ck an indian burn, or bite it off.

Only bassist of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join