I tried looking at the FAQS and stuff but there was a lot and I got lost and confused.
What I want to know is how do I know what scale to solo with over a song?

For example:

Notes used in the song:

Lead:

E|-12-14-15-17-19-
B|----------------
G|----------------
D|----------------
A|----------------
E|----------------

Rhythm:

E|---------
B|---------
G|---------
D|-0-2-5-7-
A|-0-2-5-7-
E|-0-2-5-7-

My question is how would I know what scale to use that would fit in with the song?

Thanks
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by wesselbindt
Are you sure that't what the rhythm guitar plays? You should be able to use E minor over that. That's what key the lead is in anyway.

Thats not how the rhythm goes its just all the notes within the song for the rhythm guitar.
Quote by wesselbindt
Does the rhythm guitar at a point play this:
E|---
B|---
G|---
D|-0-
A|-0-
E|-0-
Or is it tuned drop D?
still: E minor.

Yeah its drop D, sorry for posting it as standard.

But how do I know what scale to use for a solo? Do I like take the first note of the song, in this case E on the first string and then use that scale or something?
It's actually typically the last chord, for the entire song, and the solo will typically be in the key of the entire song. You can figure out what notes are in the chords played by the rhythm, and see which scale those fit into.
Quote by TheIrishPatriot
It's actually typically the last chord, for the entire song, and the solo will typically be in the key of the entire song. You can figure out what notes are in the chords played by the rhythm, and see which scale those fit into.

The rhythm chords that would be playing under the solo right?

So if it was

D|-5-7-9-11-
A|-5-7-9-11-
E|-3-5-7-9--

Any scales that have the notes:

G, A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#, G

Would work right?
I would probably solo in D minor or major. From what you have, it's D Major. But given that the notes in the rhythm are the "shared" notes between major and minor, you could potentially switch in and out of the two keys: D major and minor. Granted, not too fast, or it'll sound bad, but every now and again.

EDIT: To TS (two posts up), it looks like D Major or B minor with a G# passing tone.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Mar 10, 2009,
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
The rhythm chords that would be playing under the solo right?

So if it was

D|-5-7-9-11-
A|-5-7-9-11-
E|-3-5-7-9--

Any scales that have the notes:

G, A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#, G

Would work right?

Yeah, the rhythm chords played under the solo . And I'd agree, probably D major, just watch out for the G#.
Quote by TheIrishPatriot
Yeah, the rhythm chords played under the solo . And I'd agree, probably D major, just watch out for the G#.

My last question where are you getting D major/minor from? Im just trying to learn.

D|--5--
A|--5--
E|-(3)-

Because if I had to take a guess my guess would of been G because its like the first note in the first chord played under the solo.
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
My last question where are you getting D major/minor from? Im just trying to learn.

D|--5--
A|--5--
E|-(3)-

Because if I had to take a guess my guess would of been G because its like the first note in the first chord played under the solo.

I was going based on your original post.. which was in D. This one is in D as well, it just starts on a different note and has a G# passing tone. Remember, just because it starts on a note, doesn't mean it's in that key.

The D major scale: D, E, F#, G, A, B ,C#, D.

The G# isn't part of it, it's just a passing tone.

In your second example your chords are: G5, A5, B5 and C#5 (Just the root and fifth/A power chord). Those are all notes of the D major scale and it would resolve a half-step up from the C# to D.

The G# in the C#5 chord is just there to finish the power chord. It's not in key, but with power chords it's hard to establish a key anyways. The B5 also has a D# in it, but it functions the same as the G in the C#5.

Does any of this make sense?
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I was going based on your original post.. which was in D. This one is in D as well, it just starts on a different note and has a G# passing tone. Remember, just because it starts on a note, doesn't mean it's in that key.

The D major scale: D, E, F#, G, A, B ,C#, D.

The G# isn't part of it, it's just a passing tone.

In your second example your chords are: G5, A5, B5 and C#5 (Just the root and fifth/A power chord). Those are all notes of the D major scale and it would resolve a half-step up from the C# to D.

The G# in the C#5 chord is just there to finish the power chord. It's not in key, but with power chords it's hard to establish a key anyways. The B5 also has a D# in it, but it functions the same as the G in the C#5.

Does any of this make sense?

It makes sense but wouldnt there be a lot of scales with those notes in it? If so how do you narrow it down?
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
It makes sense but wouldnt there be a lot of scales with those notes in it? If so how do you narrow it down?

The only scales (major and minor) that have two sharps in it are D Major and B minor. And the only way (as far as I know) to distinguish between which is which, is to do an analasys on it, or just jam to it.
Give Him Some Solo Scales For Christ's Sake You Retards Not Talking About What He Got Wrong Because Thats What Hes Dam Asking About Duh...
Quote by Toad747
Give Him Some Solo Scales For Christ's Sake You Retards Not Talking About What He Got Wrong Because Thats What Hes Dam Asking About Duh...
*Reported *
This guy hasn't read the thread and is just being obnoxious. The thread starter was offered some scales to use and specifically asked how those suggestions were arrived at. In fact if you read the thread title it appears the thread starter wasn't simply after "what scale do I use" but was wanting to know how to figure it out for himself. I have reported this as a bad post no one needs this ****.
Si