Marijuana
Quote by jackson001
Ironbodom, I hate you.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
damnit Ironbodom.

Quote by Sleaze Disease
Yes, someone "was ate jam" while they were playing.
Brilliant observation.

Save SURGE
I just started writing stuff actually, but playing something through a loop and listening to it helps me tweak it so it becomes better.
Amp: B-52 AT100 212
Guitar: Parker P-44
Effects: Korg Tuner
mess about on my guitar. then if i find something i like, ill write stuff to fit that.
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Wrong forum.
Quote by Twisted Magnum
I'd throw a Marshall MG at him while he succumbs to tone killing gain.

Quote by King Krapp
Spend all $200 on M&M's, then find a friend with an acoustic, and fill the body with them. Why? Because you can.

just piss about anywhere on the neck till you hear something you like. i never try and write a riff that im looking for.
HAVE A NICE DAY!
Playing along to a drum loop always helps me write riffs
Check out my band Disturbed
Just sitting there with my guitar, no backing tracks. I usually get stuck in 4/4 timing though I think..
Equipment
Ibanez RGT42FX
Takamine G406S
Randall RG100G3
Digitech Metal Master
i like to study guitarists styles and then putting different styles together and adding my style to it i usually come up with some cool riffs
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.
I just play stuff.
I keep getting stuck with having all my riffs utilize the lowest note most of the time. How can I vary my riffs a little more?
I usually sit down, with a joint, strum around see what tempo I'm feeling. Then set up my metronome, and just dick around til my high wear off. I also always record my sessions, then i use Fruity loop to chop and move around pieces and see what's cool. That's for writing more simple rock type of stuff.

For metal, I usually put on some blast beat at around 160bpm, same thing, dick around til I come up with something, then I'll determine if the riff should speed up or slow down.

I like using Fruity loop a lot when writing, it's very easy to chop around stuff, keep everything line up. Recording and listening to playback is very important to writing a riff IMO.
Last edited by The_Last_J at Mar 8, 2009,
Oops, you are talking about inspiration. Hmmm..learn some weird chords or chords that's not common in the genre that you play and put it to use. I like to do that alot and sometime it can sound very out of place, but also sometime awesome stuff can happen.
Also, record a simple chord progression as a backing track, then loop it and listen to it non-stop while picturing different voicing, stuff like that in your head, then try to translate it to the guitar. It helps me when I'm stuck.
Last edited by The_Last_J at Mar 8, 2009,