Page 1 of 2
hello guys!
i've been reading UG forum for years, but only now i've finally got a reason to register ant post

so here's the story:
15 minutes ago i've found an ad, some guy is selling a guitar and he's not sure, but looks like it's a genuine Strat, but i'm not sure, nor is he.
also he states that it is 20-25 years old, though E in serial number means 1984 to 1987.
another strange thing - Kahler (or not?) bridge and locking nut.
oh, and the price is ~$150

here are the pics for your judgement:

Even if it's fake (and it seems that it could be... the kahler would have to be after-market, and the Fender logo looks quite odd, maybe that's just me though) for $150 that's a pretty good deal on any guitar.

Also, dont judge because of the date of the guitar being built and the age of the owner. If it was like that, then i would have been 6 when i got my ibanez.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Mar 8, 2009,
just get it anyway, for 150 it looks amazing! and even if its not a genuine fender you have bragging rights because of the logo lol
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
yea the logo is certainly odd. But the guitar looks nice, and for $150 im sure its a good deal
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Fullerton Plant (Fender - CBS Era), USA
in the Year(s): 1982 - 1985

its real, usa made
Im pretty sure its fake, they normally would put the serial number on the back
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
http://www.fender.com/support/usa_instruments.php
It says that anything with the serial number E3 + 5 digits is from 1982-85, so the guy seems to know what he's talking about.
If you like how it sounds you should buy it, 150 is a good deal.
Quote by Yergh
Guitar Info

its real, usa made

its not all that difficult to get a serial number from an authentic strat and put it on a fake one.

that logo looks funny to me though. should be bigger, and gold i believe, not black. i also want to say they used to make fenders with a kahler for a short period of time, but dont go by me on that one. i have mixed feelings about it.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
A serial number is the easiest thing to copy, so the fact the serial works in one of those guitar-dater things and the info makes sense doesn't prove anything.

While it looks reasonably good quality for the price, it probably is a fake. The logo looks like a poor attempt at drawing by hand, to me. If he's advertising it as "the real deal" then don't buy it, but if he's saying he's not sure then the chances are it'll be an ok guitar for the price, and you won't be getting scammed if it is a fake.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
A serial number is the easiest thing to copy, so the fact the serial works in one of those guitar-dater things and the info makes sense doesn't prove anything.

While it looks reasonably good quality for the price, it probably is a fake. The logo looks like a poor attempt at drawing by hand, to me. If he's advertising it as "the real deal" then don't buy it, but if he's saying he's not sure then the chances are it'll be an ok guitar for the price, and you won't be getting scammed if it is a fake.

+1
That logo does not look like any Fender logo ever used.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Fender did make a series aimed at superstrat fans, I think it was the 'A series comtempory' strats, but the logo does look odd
Quote by Steven E
Im pretty sure its fake, they normally would put the serial number on the back

Yeah, usually on the Americans it's on the back of the headstock...

Here's a great site about spotting fake Fenders:
http://aceguitarshop.com/index2.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=2

Although a serial can be faked pretty easily, I always run mine here:
http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx

Hope that helps!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
I ran the serial at the site I listed above. It does check out, but it could still be fake.
Quote by The Guitar Dater Project
Guitar Info

Fender: Fullerton

The Fullerton factory opened in 1946, Fullerton California with the first major electric solid body guitar production began in 1950 with the Broadcaster (later known as the Telecaster). Sold in 1965 to CBS who in 1985 sold Fender to a group of private investors the plant was not included in that sale and was subsequently closed.

I'd do a little research on CBS era Strats.

But a 1982-1985 CBS USA Strat for $150? Has to be fake.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by yellowsnow4free at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by kckyle
it said usa but yet its 21 fret...

that is the red light right there
Not everyone here is this sad fu<ked up &cold
Even if it is fake, 150$ is excellent.

The next step is to make a frankenstrat.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by Aidy Damage
It's not a Fenter- sorry. It looks like it's probably not a Fender, either.

grammer nazi
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
That would be a good mod guitar. and for 150? who cares what it is, a good deals a good deal
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
grammer nazi

Actually that would be spelling nazi-ing, not grammar (which you misspelled).

For $150 i would take that if it played well except the kahler would turn me off.. i wouldn't get it for that reason but that's just me.
It doesn't look kosher to me either!
Logo for Fender & Startocaster look slightly weird.
Truss rod end doesn't look right either.
Years ago Fender really only had two bridges, hardtail and tremolo (theirs) and this guitar never had a Fender cavity that I can see.
Finish doesn't look right either.

However, that being said.....150.00 isn't a lot of money if it play nioce and can stay in tune it may be a steal overall.
Moving on.....
it doesn't look real. the logo, the F is very thin...and the tuners dont' look regular fender, there is not too many Kahler Fenders, good be aftermarket of course. but the back of it, looks like it's never had the regular trem. but still, 150? play it, if it feels ok, why not?
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Just ran the serial number through the guitar dater. 1982-1985. Based on the serial number and the bridge I'm going to make a guess at 1983. US-made, CBS-era. FOr $150, that is a damn nice snag.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I gotta say I haven't noticed a Fender logo like that, but it's worth the bet...looks like a nice Strat to me!
Quote by necrosis1193
Just ran the serial number through the guitar dater. 1982-1985. Based on the serial number and the bridge I'm going to make a guess at 1983. US-made, CBS-era. FOr $150, that is a damn nice snag.

We already went over that the only thing running a serial number does is prove that the serial number is real.
I'd be willing to bet the guitar isn't a genuine Fender; especially for $150

Not sure if you said this would be an Ebay-type purchase (can't play it before you buy it) or a private seller (can play it before you buy it)

If you don't care if it's not genuine, and you do have the opportunity to play it, I'd say try it out and see what you think. You might think it sounds great!
Fake, look at the A in the curved stratocaster logo (label?), it's wonky. Along with the stuff everyone else has said. But it looks alright for 150$. Play it and see. That trem may be worth what the man is selling it for.
In case you need any more convincing, the profile on the back of the body is not right. The contour is HUGE. I've never seen a strat with such a wide contour. That was my red flag.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Pac_man0123
We already went over that the only thing running a serial number does is prove that the serial number is real.

Well, either way, for $150, if it plays decently, go for it.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
If you already have a nice guitar I wouldn't recommend buying it. There is no reason to pay $150 for something that you won't use.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard

100% real according to the Fender website and Stratcollector.com. Take it quick.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
If you can try before you buy, I'd give it a run. It might be a cracking guitar for the money.

But IMO, definitely fake. But hell, that doesn't matter so much, when you consider that even people like Slash used fake guitars over real ones. Just play it and see how it is.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
It looks like a Strat Plus neck even though the years don't jive with a strat plus being later than 1985 and no lace sensor pups.
Quote by CarbonDeath

100% real according to the Fender website and Stratcollector.com. Take it quick.

No, the logo is still very different.

Please, compare:

Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Mar 9, 2009,
^^
The only difference between the "Fender" logo's is there is a creme outline on one of them. the black part is exactly the same
Page 1 of 2