Hey is there anyone that strums chords without a pick? I'm trying to do this with my right hand's fingers slightly curved and kind of sweeping the strings fast, but I seem to lose the higher strings... So does anyone do this as well? Any recommendations on techniques will be welcome, thanks.
There is a technique for this, it's useful if you ever drop your pick in the middle of a song. you curl your fingers up, then you make a strumming motion with your wrist while simultaneously straightening your fingers. The fingernails of your hand should hit the strings, nothing else, and produce I nice crisp hit. For the upstrokes, drag your thumbnail across the strings. With this technique, you can play almost as fast without a pick as with... Don't expect to be picking exactly which strings you hit though, you'll need good muting.
well, i usually place my hand the same way i would if i was holding a pick. works fine that way. i do have nails because i play classical as well so i don't know if it would work for you
Well I never grow my nails, even though I like to play classical occasionally, so my fingers will just hit the strings.
Quote by Blaster Bob
There is a technique for this, it's useful if you ever drop your pick in the middle of a song. you curl your fingers up, then you make a strumming motion with your wrist while simultaneously straightening your fingers. The fingernails of your hand should hit the strings, nothing else, and produce I nice crisp hit. For the upstrokes, drag your thumbnail across the strings. With this technique, you can play almost as fast without a pick as with... Don't expect to be picking exactly which strings you hit though, you'll need good muting.

This is what I was told. It helps if you grow your nails aswell; you'll have more nail to hit the string other than hitting bare flesh, which after a while really hurts.

EDIT: Growing yer nails also gives a crisper tone when you're fingerpicking aswell, which is nice.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Mar 8, 2009,
I don't grow my nails either. Just don't trim them down to the quick. I cut mine off even with the tips of my fingers. Under normal conditions, they don't stick out at all, but if you push the fleshy part of your fingertip away, there will be a little overhang. It's practical for more than just guitar, and you won't end up with your sharp freshly cut nails cutting into your fingers.
Well I use a pick for strumming chords but I rest my arm (cause I practice sitting down) on like, basically where the strings end (towards the hole [not sure on name]), a straight line like this "\" to the side of the guitar. Then I start swiping my hand back and forth till I find the right hight. Use my arm as a pivot point. and bingo it makes a good noise