Well, I'm very excited. I know a metronome is a key tool to increasing speed, but I said f*ck it for today and turned on one of my favorite tunes - Mr. Ego by Helloween - and I could play so much better. That song is at about 95bpm - about my current speed on the met. - and I felt so much better playing with backing tracks. Then, I tried it with Mirror, Mirror. Which, I think, is about 125bpm and I aced it! I don't think I made more than 5 mistakes through the whole song. I know 5 mistakes is quite a bit, but I'm used to barely being able to do 110bpm. I felt so relaxed and natural playing with others.

Now, when I was playing with a metronome, I felt tense. Like I couldn't mess up or I would be shot.

Now, I don't think I've ever really played along with a band much, but this has definately helped me break a TON of barriers.

I hope this gives you an idea on how to break barriers you may have set up in your own mind. I'm sure excited to do it myself!

Also, thanks AT! You guys are the people that helped me get to where I am today without hurting myself. If it weren't for you, I'd probably have quit playing due to injury. The pain that I thought was tendonitis was just some weird stiffness that was gone the next day. I think it was because I was leaning on the bone that has your "funny bone" nerve right around it.

Thanks again, guys!
That's cool, just be careful that you don't get to the point where you can't play well at slower tempos becuase you're used to going too fast.

Technique happens at low BPM first, then is transferred to higher BPM, IME.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Try recording what you play, i always find that a very effective method of practise, and ironing out your errors. As for the metronome, it certainly helps to be able to play to a click, but each to their own i guess, i personally have to practise to a metronome in order to gain anything from it.
Quote by The.new.guy
Doubt it. I don't think you can fake relaxation. Maybe you can, though.

Sounds like....

A RAGE-O-HOLIC!!

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by The.new.guy
Doubt it. I don't think you can fake relaxation. Maybe you can, though.

No! Didn't express myself correctly then

I mean that he might not notice the mistakes because there is no tempo, and he might not be able to spot his own mistkaes, whereas with a metronome, you clearly can tell if it's on the beat or your off it!
Quote by Deagle-Eyes
No! Didn't express myself correctly then

I mean that he might not notice the mistakes because there is no tempo, and he might not be able to spot his own mistkaes, whereas with a metronome, you clearly can tell if it's on the beat or your off it!

Ohhh. Those kinds of mistakes are much different than the ones I was talking about. I was talking about wrong/missed notes. I've never had (many) problems with keeping a steady tempo. Descending on scale runs - isn't it scalar runs? - has always been my biggest problem with tempo mistakes. I tend to go slower when descending.
Sounds great, new guy. Might be interesting for you to know that Rusty Cooley hates metronomes and never uses them - although obviously he still pays great attention to improving his accuracy and timing when practicing.
Even Guthrie Govan said he doesn't really like woodshedding scales up and down to a metronome and prefers playing to songs. Just make sure you can play well at all speeds.
I never practice with metronome either.

lol

I hate it to.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I can't stand the clicking either. I use a drum machine; its probably one of the best purchases I've ever made.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by millerdrr
I can't stand the clicking either. I use a drum machine; its probably one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Same.

I use various drum beat to improve timining/groove.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I hate metronomes but I can't deny it's been useful for me. As boring as it is to practice with a metronome I've managed to get from 7nps to 9nps (cleanly) in a week and I'm shooting for at least 10nps by the end of this week.
Gear List:
B.C. Rich NT Jr. V (With Seymour Duncan AHB-1 Blackout in bridge)
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Marshall MG15DFX
Jazz III picks
DR strings
Planet Waves Cables
I'm afraid to use my drum machine. I'm afraid it'll bmess up my amp. Mostly 'cause it has bass mixed in with the drums. That is, unless I make my own drum track and mine always turn out very, generic, boring, boom boom TACK, sounding.

Should I put this fear behind me and use it with the bass too or should I just...learn how to make cool drum tracks?
Quote by The.new.guy
I'm afraid to use my drum machine. I'm afraid it'll bmess up my amp. Mostly 'cause it has bass mixed in with the drums. That is, unless I make my own drum track and mine always turn out very, generic, boring, boom boom TACK, sounding.

Should I put this fear behind me and use it with the bass too or should I just...learn how to make cool drum tracks?

Just steal from song?

Check out tabs of artist that you like and steal the drum pattern. Put it into a better quality drum machine and ur set.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Might be interesting for you to know that Rusty Cooley hates metronomes and never uses them

yeah I never use a metronome, IMO they are vastly overrated.

Even Guthrie Govan said he doesn't really like woodshedding scales up and down to a metronome and prefers playing to songs

Goddammit.
Call me Batman.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Just steal from song?

Check out tabs of artist that you like and steal the drum pattern. Put it into a better quality drum machine and ur set.

Haha I didn't even think about doing this!

I really do live up to my name, don't I?
I've only really ever used a metronome once and that was when I was learning how to sweep... I started really slow at like... 20bpm, and then got a three-string sweep up to 120 (cleanly) in 3 hours. Granted... it was the same shape, but I was happy.
Quote by millerdrr

And one.

I love my drum machine.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Drum machine is better for timing but i found i don't get faster without a metronome.

I tried to economy of motion thing, which vastly helped, but once i got to a certain point i couldn't push past it speed-wise without a metronome.
Quote by millerdrr

this !!
I only use a metronome when going through various speed-building exercises (Speed Mechanics, Wild Stringdom, Rock Discipline...etc..)

But when I am learning songs (using Guitar Pro of course) I listen through the song first... then I play a bar or so without any music playing and once I think I got it, I just play along to whatever section I just learned
Ibanez RG2570e
Epiphone Les Paul Standard

Peavey VK112

Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-7
Digitech Multi Chorus
omg clicks

i used them to practice my scales, and other stuff like downpicking

just image clicks at different bmp for 35 minutes...ugh..

clic-clic-clic
clic.................clic..............clic........
damn it its still stuck in my head

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
After so much practicing w/ a metronome, i can create the click accurately in my head.
Quote by MRavioli
After so much practicing w/ a metronome, i can create the click accurately in my head.

sadly, same here lulzz
I'm so glad I've never used a metronome...
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by MRavioli

i believe this is the point....."timing"

haha