Hey guys I can get either of these amps for the same price, and while I know that the blues junior will work really well for what I want, I dunno if the fender pro reverb that I found on craiglist will do better. any opinions here? anyone familiar with these two? I might just go with the blues jr because of its rep. (looking for amazing cleans and SRV tones with the amp runnin' through a keeley modded ts-9 tubescreamer).
Well what is it you want? Are you gigging or practicing at home or what?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
i dont beleive the pro reverb is blackface, (as in made in the 60s.) if it is a blackface (im speaking cosmetically only), then its made in the 80s.

the pro reverbs of the 70s are really nice amps, esp. the ones before about 75. i have never played one of the 80s ones. try it and see.

i would think the pro reverb would be better for SRV though.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Just practicing at home. I'm iffy about the pro reverb, because the Blues Jr. has a great rep.
the pro reverb gas a great rep among people who have heard of it. its basically a 40 watt (or 50, cant remember) twin reverb. plus its voiced much more like the amps SRV used. however, you should really try out the amp first.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
The Pro Reverb may be a bit too loud for playing at home. The Blues Jr would be a lot more usable in a home environment, unless you're playing in a semi-soundproof basement.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by ams914
Just practicing at home. I'm iffy about the pro reverb, because the Blues Jr. has a great rep.

2 different levels of amps imo. I'm a big blues jr fan but I would check out the pro as well. I use a 35 watt tube amp in my condo all the time without issues. If you are going to be moving the amp a bunch to band practices, the pro would be a little more effort, but aside of convenience the pro is a better amp. Just my .02. Good luck. Plus if you decide to sell the blues jr, you would take a hit - but not with the pro. It's a better value as well.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I'm starting to think that the wattage may be too big on the fender pro, because I would have more tonal control over an amp with less wattage because I could push it more without it being too loud, right? I've also got to take this thing with me to college...
The difference in wattage is moot, I guarantee you won't be able to crank a 15 watt blues jr anymore than a 40-50 watt pro reverb. That being said, if the pro doesn't have a master volume then it'll be harder to get any kind of overdrive from it at lower volumes. Doesn't make it worse, just different.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
a keeley modded TS would have plenty of gain at low volumes for SRV without a master volume and would sound fricken sick on a pro reverb.
I dont have any experience with the pro but a blues jr seems like a good bet (especially for college) because of the master volume. You can put some balls behind your tone but keep it low enough that you dont bother anyone. Either way, play both and see what you like better.
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for: