I have been playing for 6 months now and i really like guitar and i cant get enough of it. I have the basic fender starter package and amp and i am looking to upgrade to a better guitar. Fender stratocaster is the guitar and a Fender G-EDC-Junior amp.

My price range is $500 to $800 dollars. I dont know weather i should get a below average guitar and put some good pickups in it like some Seymour Duncan Blackouts, or get a more costly guitar with the default pickups. I want a guitar with a two way wammy bar but the only one i can find that i like is a jackson Randy Rhoads and that costs enough were i dont wunna put new pickups in it. i also want 2 tone and volume nobs.

the look does matter to me a lot and i would rather that my guitar be black but the quality of the guitar is worth more to me then the look. the main types of music i play is metal and rock. Thanks for the help.
Last edited by Gatermag at Mar 8, 2009,
Fender starter package, as in, you have the fender frontman? Get rid of that amp, get a better one. A modeller like the Peavey Vyper or Roland Cube should see you ok, then spend the rest on a decent guitar. You can get the RR3 easily in that budget, and that comes with Seymour Duncan passives, which are good. Can't remember which pups they are, but they are decent, and through a low-endish amp, you won't notice the difference much anyway.
Quote by Mazzakazza
Fender starter package, as in, you have the fender frontman? Get rid of that amp, get a better one. A modeller like the Peavey Vyper or Roland Cube should see you ok, then spend the rest on a decent guitar. You can get the RR3 easily in that budget, and that comes with Seymour Duncan passives, which are good. Can't remember which pups they are, but they are decent, and through a low-endish amp, you won't notice the difference much anyway.

its probably a JB/'59 in the RR3. Thats the general combo on Jacksons with that pickup configuration. and those are great pickups with a ****load of range
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
Good Advice, get a decent cheap amp and then try out a few guitars to see what feels and sounds best to you. You will find the more expensive guitars not only sound better but are alot easier to play compared to starter guitars. Take your time chosing the one that you want and then you will enjoy playing all the more. It is also worth paying a bit extra for the guitar if you get it well setup from a good guitar shop as part of the deal.
epiphone les pauls are good for alot of different types of music, also, when you buy cheap and upgrade the pickups you can have more choice when it comes to the body model, like for example, most bc riches, although they look cool, unless your spending 1000 plus they dont sound great, but you could buy a 200-400 guitar and buy some nice pickups, even if its one at a time
is there any sites for making custom built guitars like there are for making custom computers
Seriously, you decide what's the right guitar for you. We're just here so you don't make stupid choices. I have an RR3, plays really well, it's my favorite guitar out of all the ones I've played at Guitar Center.