I was at Guitar Center today and was playing some SG's. I played both the 1966 G-400 and a Gibson SG Special.

Between those two guitars which one is better?

They both felt the same to me, but I didn't get to hear each one through a good amp, they were both unplugged. The only amps open were Spider III's, so I didn't bother finding an amp to play it through.

They are different in price, but are they different in quality? Would the Gibson be more worth it?
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
They are both quite nice. Was it the faded Gibson?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
They are both quite nice. Was it the faded Gibson?

Yeah, it is the faded one.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
I'd take the Epiphone and swap out the pickups.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Green_Jelly
I'd take the Epiphone and swap out the pickups.

The sound isn't my current concern, it is just the build quality.

The Gibson stayed in tune pretty well, I could play a clean octave power chord even after it was on the shelf the whole time.

The Epiphone was already out of tune and I couldn't find an amp with a working tuner, so I just stopped using it.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
I am ending the thread, I decided on a 1966 G-400.

I found out that graphite/pencil in the nut/bridge solves tuning problems by a long shot, so that won't be a matter any more. The 1966 G-400 looks SO much cooler anyway.

I still need my new amp first, once I finally get the chance to sell that horable MG I will have to start putting money in for my JCM 900.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Quote by tmfiore
I am ending the thread, I decided on a 1966 G-400.

I found out that graphite/pencil in the nut/bridge solves tuning problems by a long shot, so that won't be a matter any more. The 1966 G-400 looks SO much cooler anyway.

I still need my new amp first, once I finally get the chance to sell that horable MG I will have to start putting money in for my JCM 900.

Sounds good. I like the 1966 G-400 a lot myself too
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Quote by ch0
I'd have said get the Gibson.

You'll want one some day.

i wont ><
Quote by ch0
I'd have said get the Gibson.

You'll want one some day.

Quote by satcre3
i wont ><

Funny, people said the same thing when I bought my MIM Strat...
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
I have the SG Faded, and i love it. Just might wanna get some new tuners or something cause mine goes outta tune a bit....i really should get on that lol

laziness rules
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
I have an SG Special in Wine Red (Check The Who @ Woodstock to see Townshend's) and I freakin love it. It was more of a fluke buy over the internet when I originally got it (Was a n00b guitarist) but turns out I made the right choice. Beautiful tone. Looks sexy. Plays great.
When the faded SG's first came out I didnt think they were worth the 500 they were going for then. They felt kindof cheap to me. If you like it go for it, I chose a MIM strat instead.