So I consider myself pretty much a punk guitarist, and I've mastered my powerchords, know some theory, am pretty good at keeping time, can play some simple lead lines, know a few scales. But I have no interest in being a lead guitarist. So at this point I'm really not sure where to go with advancing my skills, because I dont really want to get into playing solos and stuff, and I think I'm a pretty decient guitarist for what I want to play...so what do I do?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Why does this thread look so familiar?
.....Fine whatever...
I'll give the same answer, learn different genres.
I'm in one. But I don't want to platau (sp?) my playing...I want to challenge myself, I'm just not sure in what way would be most benifical
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

learn diffrent techniques
like sweeps,staccato,legato
that such....
Quote by Allnightmask22

Alternatively, have your friends hold him down, then take a dump in his mouth, make sure your genitals don't touch him though, that's gay.

Quote by RageAgainst...
Teddy-Metal
for those who like to mosh, but just wanna cuddle afterwards

smashing pumkins fans=)^
You might as well learn new techniques and/or styles because everybody and their brother can play punk guitar.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
i really think that learning punk/pop/general rock only gets you so far skillwise.

i think you oughta push yourself past all that and move onto shred rock? or...dare i say it...metal?
It's up to you.

I suggest writing songs. Learn to sing as well, always handy. Analyse songs you like and learn why they work, then incorporate what you learn into your own music.
You could also do a little chord theory and harmony work. A bigger chordal vocabulary will help heaps when writing songs...just a thought.
I would say learn new styles, but am not a fan of classifying my playing into stles. For instance, when I write songs, I try to play different styles (ie: Staccato licks, slower melodic phrasing, semi-quick runs, heavy power chords, chugging rhythm playing, etc), but I wont say I know how to play metal guitar, or blues guitar, or pop/rock guitar. I will say that I use my favorite techniques from said genres to create what I would ultimately love to be a unique sound.

I think sticking to punk playing or any style in general sets a ceiling for what you will become as a guitar player. Thats why I recommend listening to different styles of music, and playing different styles of music. You dont have to go as far as sweeping and what not if you dont have the desire to be a metal player because thats a more advanced technique, but teacher yourself some legato and blues phrasing to well round yourself as a guitar player. its nothing to difficult and may give you ideas for new songs in the process.
one word: metal

punk is for pussies.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by nvranka
one word: metal

punk is for pussies.

one word: Meshuggah

4/4 metal is for pussies.

Please use tags for tabs....
Quote by Freepower
Genre bashing is for pussies.

Heh, I'd like to see him play some of Shawn's stuff in 4/4
Ok I guess my obvious sarcasm (to me atleast) wasnt noted lol

Please use tags for tabs....
Quote by Camdon
one word: Meshuggah

Lmfao.

Quote by Freepower
Genre bashing is for pussies.

I cant believe you actually warned me for that.
Jackson KV2 USA Snow White/Black Bevels
Quote by nvranka
I cant believe you actually warned me for that.

Why? Deeply unfunny spam that's unhelpful and offensive and derailed the thread...

I can see at least 4 and a half reasons to warn you for that. I can't believe you think that was a reasonable post.
Get back on topic please.

If I were you I would start writing songs. Is your band serious? If not getting with a band regularly to practice - and gigging - would help you out alot.
Glad to hear you've mastered powerchords. If you're really not interested in learning anything else (and I think you should be), I suggest mastering palm muting. Not just constant palm muting, but accented on-off muting like in the intro to Basket Case. You can come up with some very interesting rhythmic ideas with just one chord.
Since you seem to be more of a rhythm guitarist you should try your hand at writing music. Look into chord progressions and chord construction
You said you've mastered power chords but didn't mention any other chords - if you haven't already, I'd learn your open chords, then barre chords, then start looking at inversions, 7ths etc, and learn how chords are constructed so you can easily find the notes on the neck when you need to produce a chord you haven't learnt per se
Quote by mcraddict81592
So I consider myself pretty much a punk guitarist, and I've mastered my powerchords, know some theory, am pretty good at keeping time, can play some simple lead lines, know a few scales. But I have no interest in being a lead guitarist. So at this point I'm really not sure where to go with advancing my skills, because I dont really want to get into playing solos and stuff, and I think I'm a pretty decient guitarist for what I want to play...so what do I do?

well maybe you dont want to be a lead guitarist, but learning how to play lead wont hurt, it might help. if you listen to people like hendrix, listen to his rhythm work. he knew how to play through chords using inversions and simple melodies that lead from one chord to another.

so if you dont want to learn lead, learn your scales and inversions for sure. it will help make you a good rhyhtm guitar player. rhythm guitar doesnt mean just strumming chords. it can be a lot more. but if you're playing punk i guess it is. but just because you play punk doesnt mean you cant make it a little more interesting right?