Do they make something that is a USB mic connector so I could record using a decent mic rather then a desktop mic?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
Yes, they are called interfaces and you can use more than a decent mic.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
you can get USB mic's as well
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
If I got that toneport, isn't that using pre recorded amp models and stuff? Can I just record my own amp?
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

I've read a lot of articles about USB mics being more than decent
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
No, you don't have to use the provided amp simulators. You can always use the mic input and record your own amp with a mic.
EDIT: USB mics suck, don't get one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
You don't want a toneport. You want a better USB interface. What's your budget? There are plenty of great interfaces for around $200 that also include killer software.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
You don't want a toneport. You want a better USB interface. What's your budget? There are plenty of great interfaces for around $200 that also include killer software.

$200's a bit much but I want to record some stuff and i want it to sound good.

A friend told me to get the Mackie Onyx Satellite, what do you guys suggest? Links pls ;D

Mackie Onyx Satellite is great. It will cost more than 200 bucks however.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Oh? Haven't seen the price, could you give me some others?

Quote by Sid McCall

Like what? I don't really want to spend money on amp models and then buy an awesome amp later on.

OSrry for hijacking.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
You should all go to Riffs&Recordings, where this thread is made ten times a day. Search around and get some answers from them. There's a Tascam something or other that comes in around $130 that's really good. Anything under that is gonna crap out on you sooner or later. so be prepared to spend around $150.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
No replies there, been over 2 hours.

I was looking at demos of that Mackie Onyx Satellite, want it so bad but I'd have to buy a PCI firewire card so i could plug it in.. Should I go through that hassle or does anyone have a nice USB one in mind?

what about a mxl mic mate, converts xlr to usb
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
Quote by lbj273
what about a mxl mic mate, converts xlr to usb

I don't think that has a preamp, which is very important here.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Yeah I don't have a firewire port though.. I guess I could get a PCI card with ports on them though.

Quote by fly135

No, bad decision. This will send the audio signals to one channel, instead of separate channels. Total waste of money for what you're trying to do. I don't think that thing even has decent preamps.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Quote by Sid McCall
No, bad decision. This will send the audio signals to one channel, instead of separate channels. Total waste of money for what you're trying to do. I don't think that thing even has decent preamps.
Not true. It's 2 channel. And it's exactly perfect for capturing a mic input.
Quote by fly135
Not true. It's 2 channel. And it's exactly perfect for capturing a mic input.

I'm reading the specs again, and it says (and I quote): "routes the main ouput and the 2-track return through the USB port." That's just the stereo output, not separate channels in your DAW for each channel on the mixer, which is what you want from an interface. Every channel on this mixer would go into the same track in your DAW which would not allow you to mix separately.

I'm studying audio arts in school and I can assure you, the mixer is not the interface. They're two totally different components that can both be used together for optimal control over the session, but the interface is all you really need. With just a mixer, you will not get good sound quality or separate channels.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Sorry but you are wrong.

The mixer is stereo. It captures stereo. That's two channels despite what you may have learned in audio arts. I use the left and right channels on my mixer to capture two separate tracks all the time. You can do what you want with them in post processing and editing. They come out as two distinct sampled stream of audio data. I'm not sure where your confusion is coming from. Perhaps you're being mentored by a cork sniffer.

I can't vouch for the quality of the preamps on that particular mixer. I use a Behringer 1002FX. Yes, it's not studio quality, and there is a "small" amount of background hiss attributable to the preamps. But the question here is what's a good way to get a mic into the computer with USB. I don't jump into a thread like this and recommend equipment that cost hundreds of dollars to this sort of question. If the Alexis is as good as my Behringer (and I have no reason believe it isn't), then it's a good deal for the amount of functionality.

Edit: The mono channels can also be directed to either stereo channel. So you can capture two mono inputs as separate channels of data.
Last edited by fly135 at Mar 9, 2009,
Well that makes sense, but it's still a crappy alternative to just getting a legitimate interface and using that.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
You haven't explained why it's not a legitimate interface. You've only made the claim. And I still say you are wrong. I've used my Behringer mixer on everything in my profile. And that one is capturing into my analog sound card. A USB capture should be even better, avoiding noise from the computer. It's not a crappy alternative. It's a sensible approach to capturing your music. I've heard lots of good recordings from people way better than me using Behringer mixers on their workstation.
the mic mate is an interface
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I think I'm going to get the Mackie Onyx Satellite, but I need to buy a PCI firewire bus card. How do I know which one I need, are they all the same? I've seen them from $10-40.

Quote by fly135
Functionally, they are all the same.

So all the numbers after them mean nothing?

M Audio makes great external soundcards/audio interfaces. Fast Track Pro is the one I use. Yes, you can plug a mic into it and record your amp.
Fly i sent you a PM