(I've made a thread like this, but I couldn't find it again. Also, I've refined my search.)

I've been offered any guitar in the 1000$ If I get good grades in school. My father said that he would buy any guitar in the 1000$ price range, maybe 250$ give or take. I was thinking among the lines of an American Standard, but I've heard the pickups aren't great for distortion, and I don't want to mess around with replacing them.

I don't mind Double-locking trems, just as long I'm not playing a pointy metal shaped guitar or a superstrat shape (the ones with pointy horns, I don't mind schecters or Ibanez S's.)

I need to play a wide variety of styles. This is a priority above all else, I need a guitar that can play a wide range of genres. I need to be able to pull off moderately good cleans, and of course, a good distortion tone. Nothing heavier than thrash metal. (Anything in the Spectrum from Red Hot Chili Peppers, to The Foo Fighters, to Wolfmother, and Metallica.

tl;dr, Good guitar in the 1000$ range that is versatile, no metal-shaped guitars or pointy-horned superstrats.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Jackson Soloist. If you dont mind the pointed headstock. if not, try an Ibanez SV guitar. not a double locking trem, but the SynchroniZR has good capabilites.
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
I would say a Schecter C-1 Classic. Nice Strat shape mahogany body with a quilted maple top, neck through body construction, 24 frets, 25.5" maple neck with rosewood fretboard, locking TonePro's bridge, grover tuners. Seymour Duncan's SH-2 in neck and JB in the bridge.

Appeal to you? I think maybe if you got a coil splitter on it it would be perfect for the music styles you described. No trem though. Sorry.

EDIT: Also some single coils might work for you, after all John Frusciante uses a vintage '62 strat, I think, on most songs both with the Chili's and by himself. But Dave Grohl uses humbuckers, most of the time, either on his signature model or on his other Gibsons. Also what amp are you playing this through?
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Last edited by JF-SH1 at Mar 8, 2009,
It's a Vox AD30VT. I'm saving up for a decent tube combo, but for now it'll have to do.
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Yeah, Schecter C-1 classic is the right choice. Versatile, looks damn sexy, and its 750 buckaroos.

Sounds perfect for you imo
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
See if you can take that $250 you would save on the C-1 Classic and put it toward a good tube combo. The Vox ain't bad, but $250 is a nice little bolster to any savings account, especially if it will be used for a nice amp.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
ESP Eclipse 2 for £1,100 or LTD EC-1000 for like......£699, its beautiful.

Depending on what finish you take, you either get it with Seymour Duncans or EMGs, if you have the money you cant go wrong.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by JF-SH1
See if you can take that $250 you would save on the C-1 Classic and put it toward a good tube combo. The Vox ain't bad, but $250 is a nice little bolster to any savings account, especially if it will be used for a nice amp.

This is actually a good idea

And whoever sugested the PRS the Schecter C-1 classic is leaps and bounds better than that

Thats my 2 cents
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
You might be able to get a Washburn WI568 for just over $1000. Might is the keyword.
I'd recommend looking at any Washburn in that price range, the N series and Idol series particularly.
will someone carry me across ten thousand miles under the silence
I didn't like the overall feel of a PRS when I tried one, plus the one I tried wouldn't stay in tune for 5 minutes.
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Carvin Custom Shop

you can get a neckthru super strat with highend features including coil-tapping and a floyd rose for about $1300 (only guitar i have priced)
they also have LP shaped guitars and fender strat style guitars for about the same or less.
you have choice of finish, headstock, bridge, electronic, pickups, body wood. the only thing you cant choose is body shape, construction, scale length, but there should be enough variety to satisfy you.
very versatile i believe.
Funny you should mention, I was looking at that about 10 minutes ago. How are the pickups on a Carvin custom?
Gear List:
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Quote by wolfy808
Funny you should mention, I was looking at that about 10 minutes ago. How are the pickups on a Carvin custom?

The problem with carvin, imo, is the neck. Its far to thin and flat. The pickups are pretty good though.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by JF-SH1

This.
I have no experience with them. Just interest and looked up how much a guitar would be. I do, however, believe the pickups are well like, I can't imagine them being bad on a custom shop guitar. And they might even put duncans or dimarzios in if you ask. there are plenty of reviews on carvins if you are interested though.
Carvin looks nice. But I would still say a C-1 Classic over it. Cause Schecter's are amazing instruments. Very versatile, very well constructed, very sexy, sound amazing. What more can you want?

Blasphemy! Actually I have no clue. I love schecters. They are my personal preference. But also remember. If you buy the schecter you'll get a great guitar and have enough money to add to an amp fund. But if carvin is your deal go for it.

try looking for a second hand Carvin CT6M. Versatile and looks great, too