I'd like to build my own ProCo RAT clone. So far I've found 2 companies that have such kits (I'm sure there are more).

How does the @ $93 stack up against the @ $54?

I've done a little research, and it seem like the "Rodent" might be more rugged because it doesn't mount any pots or the footswitch to the PCB. But, it doesn't include an LM308 chip, which is another $6.00 on eBay.

I'm just looking for a good first pedal project. I'm sure that both of these are great kits, but is the BYOC offering really twice as good as the "Rodent" from GGG?
"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
Well with the BYOC kit, you get not only the rat, but a switch to change the clipping method => more distortion sounds achievable. So instead of one pedal, it's like 6. For $30 more, after adding the chip to the GGG kit, you get much more . Of course wiring the options is a little harder than the straight rat clone, so it's up to you to decide.
But I'd go with the BYOC kit >.>
Fair enough. This seemed to be the consensus opinion over at HCEF, too. I'm just looking for a good first project to get started with DIY pedals. Both sites seem to have a lot to offer.

Apparently, with BYOC, you also get a freebie volume boost pedal kit if you're ordering for the first time (or so I've heard), so for the $93 bucks, I get a second pedal. The volume boost is supposed to be a good starter kit.
Yeah you do, you also get a signal testing kit (at least you used to). The volume boost from what I could tell doesn't come with a case like the rest of the kits, but I'm not sure.
So, the "Confidence Boost" kit doesn't come with an enclosure. What are my options if I wanted to turn this into a proper pedal? Could I use wood? Does BYOC sell stand-alone enclosures (I couldn't find anything on their site). Can I use an old Altoids can?
altoids can could work, if there's enough room in it.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by Armchair Bronco
So, the "Confidence Boost" kit doesn't come with an enclosure. What are my options if I wanted to turn this into a proper pedal? Could I use wood? Does BYOC sell stand-alone enclosures (I couldn't find anything on their site). Can I use an old Altoids can?

you could put it in your guitar or anything else really. or check the first post of the pedal building thread. there are places that sell enclosures and the prices are relatively cheap.