So, I played a Warwick Corvette Standard. Hated it.

Musiman Stingray 5. Hated it.

Fender American Standard Jazz. Hated it.

3 different MTD basses. Hated them all.

Squier Vintage Modified Jazz. Loved it

Ibanez SR 506. Loved it.

Schecter Stiletto Studio 5. Love it.

To be fair, the jazz didn't seem to be set up properly (bowed neck) which may have lead to what I thought was a 'dull' sound and high action. But otherwise, I hven't found a high end, expensive bass that I actually LIKE. Do I have a weird taste in basses or does Guitar Center's stock just blow?
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Try a Traben, if you live in America.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz is an amazing bass. If I were to be given a free bass of any make and any price, the SVM would be the one I'd take, even though it's dirt cheap (and made by Squier). It sounds as good as any other Jazz bass & feels better than the American stuff. I totally agree with you. I think they could easily stick "Fender" and "Made in USA" or "Made in Japan" on there, and jack the price up $500; then everyone would buy it. Because it says "Squier", no one does. x.x
jazz bass is awesome! and the stingray, i thought that the hype about it kinda made it crappy when i played it ...
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Try a few Traben's out

I REALLY want to try out a Traben Neo Custom, it's just a matter of finding one.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by toyboxmonster
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz is an amazing bass. If I were to be given a free bass of any make and any price, the SVM would be the one I'd take, even though it's dirt cheap (and made by Squier). It sounds as good as any other Jazz bass & feels better than the American stuff. I totally agree with you. I think they could easily stick "Fender" and "Made in USA" or "Made in Japan" on there, and jack the price up $500; then everyone would buy it. Because it says "Squier", no one does. x.x

Not really sorry, im willing along with many other people to buy an MIA fender, over a SMV, there better made, better tone, their made alot better (neck reinforcement) I dont know what your getting at.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Not really sorry, im willing along with many other people to buy an MIA fender, over a SMV, there better made, better tone, their made alot better (neck reinforcement) I dont know what your getting at.

I agree while the VM series is great they are on par/ a slight bit better than MIM the american standard(a P-bass) i played blew it out of the water though both are of course excellent basses
Quote by fatgoogle

Getting at: stop wasting your money on brand names.
Was the reason you hated the Warwick the fact that the neck is a baseball bat ? Because that's the main reason i am repelled by them
I actually agree. I can't seem to get a good sound on all of these "high-end" basses. I think I'm just used to crappy tone (though I actually do like playing Warwicks, well, some of them.)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by toyboxmonster
Getting at: stop wasting your money on brand names.

Because theres not a reason that brands charge more for better bass's and less for lesser bass's.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Taygunov
Was the reason you hated the Warwick the fact that the neck is a baseball bat ? Because that's the main reason i am repelled by them

It was more than tone. Though, the neck was a reminder of the old days when I was on a baseball team in middle school. By the way, I DID like the Ash Corvette. I found the Thumb BO 6 to be pretty nice, too.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
The ash corvette and the thumb and the bubinga one will all have the same neck just different widths, well their necks are the same in perportion.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
My MAIN problem with these was tone. Like I said, the Am. Jazz wasn't properly set up, and is probably a nice bass. So it was the TONE on the bubinga 'vette that I didn't like. The Ash and the Thumb I liked.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102
It was more than tone. Though, the neck was a reminder of the old days when I was on a baseball team in middle school. By the way, I DID like the Ash Corvette. I found the Thumb BO 6 to be pretty nice, too.

eh, i'm not a fan of warwicks either... except the double buck, something about that bass grabbed me by the dick and never let go
Thats one thing with fender they can be a bit hit and miss, but still i think there great and a musicman stingray 5 is my next bass. See if you can Try a Jazzman, Its probably my favourite warwick.

Its seems you might like active pickups more.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
everyone has different tastes about these things. everyone always goes on about classic vibe squiers being good for what they are worth. i played a CV 50's P Bass it was horrible, the neck felt like i was holding a tree and the tone was horrible.
On the point of you disliking the fenders. I never really like them either myself, but i will note that they always seem to be the basses with the worst setups in the stores around here. I think the stores expect the name to sell them instead if the feel so they don't bother.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
burns bisons are amazing, a little overpriced, but they're kind of unique, I don't think anyone makes a burns replica
My granddad always talks about an old guy who used to be his neighbor, always used to drink this scotch called "Clooney", granddad says it was the worst, cheapest scotch he ever tasted. This old guy was in the hospital, where he would eventually die, and asked my granddad to sneak in some of that scotch. My granddad goes to house, looks in the closet, finds a jug of clooney, right next to six or seven bottles of $30 scotch (when $30 was even more expensive than that is now). That's not what the old guy wanted, he wanted the cheap stuff.

So, basically, you're an old crotchety man with a drinking problem.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
well i once scratched the frik out of a MM after 2 hrs and set it back up, nobody cared. nobody complained. i bescrewed it over completely. GC basses generally are bad XD
Try adding more delay.
Quote by telecastrmastr
well i once scratched the frik out of a MM after 2 hrs and set it back up, nobody cared. nobody complained. i bescrewed it over completely. GC basses generally are bad XD

What? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Anyways, I agree with TS. I do like the feel and tone of most Warwicks, but generally am not impressed by other high-end gear. Ibanez and Schecter stuff pleases me the most.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
stingrays where i live in guitar center are screwed uped. and the jazz is crap. its really bad. dont know why you dislike the warwick. maybe the neck? and the other basses you played are usually pretty good.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
I was very underwhelmed by the American Standard basses. I got my Stingray 5 HH (A fresh kettle of fish from the standard) for the same price, and there's no comparision.
The Squiers have more support than Fender would like to admit, I tried the VM fretless J, and was very impressed, especially when the Jaco Tribute is about six grand.
Ive never been a Warwick person, Ive played a few, and none of them had enough character, especially against the Stingray. Maybe I have some freak Ernie Ball offering, or maybe the Warwicks had been victims of tree-abuse, but they've never appealed to me.
I would say that there's a sense of carelessness about playing a cheap bass that lets you play harder and dig in a bit more, so that when you're gigging, waving it around like a loon, its more enjoyable. Maybe its just me.
Tone...

I won't call BS - I'll let the video do the talking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U

If you can't tell the difference, or prefer the Squier's tone, you're batscat banannas. Really.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Tone...

I won't call BS - I'll let the video do the talking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6Cd98DH__U

If you can't tell the difference, or prefer the Squier's tone, you're batscat banannas. Really.

"50' P" Squire
51' P Japan
I'm batscat bananas on this one, I couldn't tell, well, I could tell when he went up high on the 51', and I didn't like it. Yep.

"60's P" Squire
88' P Japan
Call me ****ing batscat bananas, I prefer the Squire (more so on the slap tone)

"60's J" Squire full
64' full
Wow, finally a Fender that sounds better. The Squire sounded like, ehh. Sounded like trying to use the Bridge pick up on my bass

"60's J" Squire front
64' front
ehh, Squire for finger, Fender for slap. I'm changing my user name to Bascat.

"60's J" Squire back
64' front
I thought the Squire full was bad. This is horrible. I hate this tone, it actually makes me angry. You better call me some form of bat**** bananna bricks because I have the same opinion on the Fender.

So basically, Squire P>Japanese P, Fender J>Squire J
at least to me
Now say his name.....
Too many people are starting out with bad things that lead to bad tone, which leads to not appreciating things.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
All those basses, every single one, sounded much more hollow with a lot less low end, and had more shrill on the treble. All the Fenders sounded smoother, rounder, thicker, louder, and bassier. For me, the greatest difference was the Jazz, followed by the '51 P (day and night if you ask me), with the P coming in at most similar. They had similar grunt, but those characteristics I described earlier were still there. If you really prefer the Squiers tonally, I think you're all bonk-nanas!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
All those basses, every single one, sounded much more hollow with a lot less low end, and had more shrill on the treble. All the Fenders sounded smoother, rounder, thicker, louder, and bassier. For me, the greatest difference was the Jazz, followed by the '51 P (day and night if you ask me), with the P coming in at most similar. They had similar grunt, but those characteristics I described earlier were still there. If you really prefer the Squiers tonally, I think you're all bonk-nanas!

I agree with you on the Jazz, is my point kind of.

(Notice how hob-knob I am anyway, I type "Squire")
Now say his name.....
Quote by thefitz

maybe the strings haven't settled down on the squier's ?
Quote by toyboxmonster

WHAT!!!

a squire vmj is good but not as good as an american fender- they are 2 separate leagues

i would agree with you to some extent if you said MIM but american? you over exagerated
Quote by postmortem2006

Give him something he can appreciate.

Herpes maybe.
Quote by jimRH7
maybe the strings haven't settled down on the squier's ?

But that shouldn't ADD bass - just tame the treble. I give him the benefit of the doubt in that he probably has strings of the same condition on both basses.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Now stack that Squier jazz, which I like, against an American Standard Fender, which is identical in looks, not in construction, so I can see the difference. If the massive price difference is worth it, then my mind may be changed. Oddly enough, I can make cheap basses sound better. I make this old Dean Edge 01 sound pretty damn nice. Again, I have weird taste.
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by Cody_Grey102

Ibanez SR 506. Loved it.

Oh, hey looky there, problem solved
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
^Indeed, there are other basses than Fenders...

What I think would be interesting is listening to a Fender American Standard, against the equivalent VM or CV by Squier, with the price difference made up in modifications.
Ive always thought that for the amount of money made available by the Squier, you could drop in a beast preamp and some nice pickups, maybe change the bridge, hell even whack on a graphite neck (not all together, but...) but Ive never known how the sounds would compare.
Quote by rambelpalsis
WHAT!!!

a squire vmj is good but not as good as an american fender- they are 2 separate leagues

i would agree with you to some extent if you said MIM but american? you over exagerated

You mean I could under-exaggerate?

And I'm pretty sure different basses will feel different to different people. The VMJ happens to have felt much better to my hands than the Americans I tried the same day. It's not really up to me to choose -_-
But the sound out of an MIA is so much nicer, come on like,
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul