I am looking into buying EMG 81/85 for my Ibanez RGR421. I've been searching around and found the DiMarzio Tone Zone, X2N, and D Activator as well. I am into playing metal like Static-X, Dope, Godsmack, and Disturbed. Right now, I play through a Roland Cube 20.

Any suggestions? I'm having a hard time deciding.
"Music is felt through our soul, not heard with our ears" - Sully Erna

Current Gear:
Ibanez SR755 5-string bass
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
What kind of amp do you have? If it's not a tube amp you can cross EMGs off the list.
The Rig
Gibson Flying V
Blackstar HT-5 Stack
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
MXR GT-OD
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-3
You shouldn't even be considering pickups if you're playing through that amp.

You won't be able to tell the difference; you'll tell yourself you can, but deep down inside you know you can't.

Anyhoo, budget?
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
get seymour duncan blackouts. way beter than EMG's
Quote by jjennings216
i'd go gay for hendrix 128 he's fricken hillarious.

Quote by sadistic_monkey
To me, Jonas Brothers sound identical to Dragonforce. So I'm not sure what you've just proved.
The X2N is a pretty good bridge pickup. It can clean up fairly nicely as well and supposedly it sounds heavier than EMGs I haven't compared them side to side.
don't buy EMGs its WAY too much work to put in active pups. I am going to by the X2N 7 or the D sonic 7.
I would not bother with new pups with the cube. There are no tubes in there to drive harder so higher output pups won't have that effect. You may hear some difference between pups such as more mids or better clarity or more sparkle with the new pups but thats about it but it is unlikely that you will suddenly get a screaming metal tone.
In all honesty, outragously high output pickups are overated.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by aradroxar
You shouldn't even be considering pickups if you're playing through that amp.

You won't be able to tell the difference; you'll tell yourself you can, but deep down inside you know you can't.

Anyhoo, budget?

Looking at about $150-200 budget for PUPs. I noticed that the DiMarzios were cheaper than the EMGs anyway.

What kind of amp should I be playing thru? I've been eyeballing a Line 6 Spider III and a Crate FW65.

Current Gear:
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
Quote by LoweRider
I am looking into buying EMG 81/85 for my Ibanez RGR421. I've been searching around and found the DiMarzio Tone Zone, X2N, and D Activator as well. I am into playing metal like Static-X, Dope, Godsmack, and Disturbed. Right now, I play through a Roland Cube 20.

Any suggestions? I'm having a hard time deciding.

It's really not worth spending the money with a Cube 20 - save it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by LoweRider
Looking at about $150-200 budget for PUPs. I noticed that the DiMarzios were cheaper than the EMGs anyway.

What kind of amp should I be playing thru? I've been eyeballing a Line 6 Spider III and a Crate FW65.

NO, your cube is better then both of those amps.
What about a Peavey Vypyr 75? :p Hybrid combo amp

Current Gear:
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
Quote by LoweRider

why not just buy a legit tube amp instead of suggesting non tube amps?
don't be afraid to buy them.. theyre so different from SS or hybrids. If you have a tube amp, then think about emg's or something.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by LoweRider

Save up some more, sell the Cube, and get a nice tube amp

Peavey 6505, something of that sort.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
what tube amp would you recommend? I dont got the money to dump $1k in an amplifier :p

Current Gear:
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
Last edited by LoweRider at Mar 8, 2009,
You should look into Bugera or B-52; they're the only real options for high gain entry-level tube amplification.
A price range for a new amp would be good.

If you're considering the Viper 75 which is about $300... you're going to be quite limited with the options. The Vypyr is a fun amp to play, decent tone for the money, and plenty loud.

I would recommend pickups afterward. New pickups have just as big of an effect on solid state amps as they do with tube amps, IMO, quite a bit more to be honest. EMG's are solid pickups, the 85/81 combo is a good one but I recommend the 89 more so than the 85 for a little more added versatility. I believe, however, that you would get the most benefits from medium-high output pickups. High outputs, other than the Breed, Evolution, EMG 81, a few other big name brand pickups, and just about every custom wound string, tend to lack the lower mids and extreme harmonics that the mid output pickups have.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
A price range for a new amp would be good.

If you're considering the Viper 75 which is about $300... you're going to be quite limited with the options. The Vypyr is a fun amp to play, decent tone for the money, and plenty loud.

I would recommend pickups afterward. New pickups have just as big of an effect on solid state amps as they do with tube amps, IMO, quite a bit more to be honest. EMG's are solid pickups, the 85/81 combo is a good one but I recommend the 89 more so than the 85 for a little more added versatility. I believe, however, that you would get the most benefits from medium-high output pickups. High outputs, other than the Breed, Evolution, EMG 81, a few other big name brand pickups, and just about every custom wound string, tend to lack the lower mids and extreme harmonics that the mid output pickups have.

Appreciate the input. If the Vypyr will give me a good metal sound like Dope and Godsmack, I will use it for a long time. I'm down to the SD Blackouts and possibly DiMarzio X2N and Tone Zone combo that I'm deciding on. Opting more for the blackouts tho, love the tone, but the DiMarzios kick major ass too.

Current Gear:
Acoustic B10 amplifier
Line 6 POD UX1
Quote by LoweRider
Appreciate the input. If the Vypyr will give me a good metal sound like Dope and Godsmack, I will use it for a long time. I'm down to the SD Blackouts and possibly DiMarzio X2N and Tone Zone combo that I'm deciding on. Opting more for the blackouts tho, love the tone, but the DiMarzios kick major ass too.

They're not going to kick any ass through the cube, and they won't make a massive difference through the vypyr either.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I swear I read about 5 threads of these whenever I go on UG for like 15 minutes. It will be a waste of money to buy new pups when you have a cube. I know this because after I bought new pups, I tried it on my old crappy starting amp that I still had, (Had a tube amp also), and it still sounded crap. A little better but not 200 bucks worth better. IOf you buy a peavey vypyr, pups won't do much, and it won't be a big upgrade from your cube seeing how they are both modelling amps. As was suggested before save up for a decent high gain tube amp, like b-52 at112, or if you can go used it would be great.
What is it with the pickups won't do much for SS amps??

I'm only using SS gear at the moment because I'm tired off all the extra things you need for tube amps. I can clearly hear when different pickups are being used, and good pickups sound a great deal better.

At college when I had my toneport as my only source of amplification, I was working on one of my friends new Jackson with a set of duncans. I raised the pickups an extremely small amount, probably 2mm, huge improvement in tone. You can't tell me better pickups would have less of an effect.

Through the Vetta I can tell by the feel and sound which pickups work better with the amp. The Vypyr isn't any different as far as being a solid state modeler, the Vetta IMO dwarfs it as far as sheer versatility and tonal quality but that is another argument. Changing pickups can improve your tone greatly no matter what amp you're using. You just notice it more when you're more used to the specific amp.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
What is it with the pickups won't do much for SS amps??

I'm only using SS gear at the moment because I'm tired off all the extra things you need for tube amps. I can clearly hear when different pickups are being used, and good pickups sound a great deal better.

At college when I had my toneport as my only source of amplification, I was working on one of my friends new Jackson with a set of duncans. I raised the pickups an extremely small amount, probably 2mm, huge improvement in tone. You can't tell me better pickups would have less of an effect.

Through the Vetta I can tell by the feel and sound which pickups work better with the amp. The Vypyr isn't any different as far as being a solid state modeler, the Vetta IMO dwarfs it as far as sheer versatility and tonal quality but that is another argument. Changing pickups can improve your tone greatly no matter what amp you're using. You just notice it more when you're more used to the specific amp.

I disagree. Changing pups will improve your tone on an SS amp, but not greatly. However you will notice a difference, but not enough to justify how much you paid for them.
Quote by JoePerry4life
I disagree. Changing pups will improve your tone on an SS amp, but not greatly. However you will notice a difference, but not enough to justify how much you paid for them.

It's hard to disagree with something that actually happened.

Tube's aren't magically more harmonic or toneful than SS amps just because they're tube amps.

The whole SS vs. Tube is greatly over dramatized on these forums.

I gladly dropped $600 on 2 sets of BKPs yesterday because the improvement of tone through the Vetta with good pickups is quite vast.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
MESAexplorer I agree with you. I have a Vypyr 30 and my guitars have various brands of pickups in them. Seymour Duncan, EMG, Gibson, GFS and some have had the stock Epiphone pickups. I can tell the difference in all of them through the Vypyr. On some SS amps (like the ones in starter packs) new pickups won't help though. Now some people say active pickups sound awful through a SS amp but through my Vypyr they don't sound much different than high output passive pickups. That being said I would not recommend spending the extra money on active pickups if you're playing through a SS amp but I don't think they sound awful. You just don't get the full benefits of having active pickups. With a good SS amp I think a set of good passives is the best way to go. The difference may be bigger with a tube amp but they still do help with some SS amps, too.
^you are missing the point of high output pickups.
They are designed to push a tube preamp harder. If you overdrive a transistor in the same way it'll just clip incredibly harshly.
As for the difference in tone, tone is influenced heavily by tonewoods and the mass of said tonewoods as well as bridge types and string guages; these things might be wildly different on your guitars. If you can tell me that your guitars are all quite similar save for the pickups and still sound noticeably different then fair play to you, but your response wouldn't stand up in court as is.
Quote by MESAexplorer
It's hard to disagree with something that actually happened.

Tube's aren't magically more harmonic or toneful than SS amps just because they're tube amps.

The whole SS vs. Tube is greatly over dramatized on these forums.

I gladly dropped $600 on 2 sets of BKPs yesterday because the improvement of tone through the Vetta with good pickups is quite vast.

It's not a tone thing, it's a responsiveness thing.
Tube amps are infinitely more responsive than transistors; that's true nine times out of ten.
Perhaps your Vetta is different; it's certainly true that responsiveness is one thing that improves higher up the SS food chain.

And just to clarify, my argument has never been that pickups won't make any difference (however this is true in some cases); it's that they won't make enough positive difference to be worth the money unless you're switching from, say, Dimebuckers/Invaders/X2Ns to Bare Knuckles or proper Bill Lawrences.
Quote by Rock Pig
^you are missing the point of high output pickups.
They are designed to push a tube preamp harder. If you overdrive a transistor in the same way it'll just clip incredibly harshly.
As for the difference in tone, tone is influenced heavily by tonewoods and the mass of said tonewoods as well as bridge types and string guages; these things might be wildly different on your guitars. If you can tell me that your guitars are all quite similar save for the pickups and still sound noticeably different then fair play to you, but your response wouldn't stand up in court as is.

It's not a tone thing, it's a responsiveness thing.
Tube amps are infinitely more responsive than transistors; that's true nine times out of ten.
Perhaps your Vetta is different; it's certainly true that responsiveness is one thing that improves higher up the SS food chain.

And just to clarify, my argument has never been that pickups won't make any difference (however this is true in some cases); it's that they won't make enough positive difference to be worth the money unless you're switching from, say, Dimebuckers/Invaders/X2Ns to Bare Knuckles or proper Bill Lawrences.

If by responsive, you mean dynamic then that is true. The two are pretty different in the amplification world. Class A is the least responsive, while SS is most responsive. Everything from the Marshall MG to the Fractal Axe Fx are going to have immediate guitar interaction to amp output.

I agree that dynamics on most SS amps aren't quite up to par with tube amps, meaning that your playing style, pickups used, etc, directly effects the tone coming out. Changing pickups on a guitar for an SS amp is more or less to give your guitar a more open tone, loosen up some of the compression, and introduce more harmonics. Not add more gain through boosting the preamp. Either way you're changing the tone and it would be a justifiable upgrade.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
If by responsive, you mean dynamic then that is true. The two are pretty different in the amplification world. Class A is the least responsive, while SS is most responsive. Everything from the Marshall MG to the Fractal Axe Fx are going to have immediate guitar interaction to amp output.

I agree that dynamics on most SS amps aren't quite up to par with tube amps, meaning that your playing style, pickups used, etc, directly effects the tone coming out. Changing pickups on a guitar for an SS amp is more or less to give your guitar a more open tone, loosen up some of the compression, and introduce more harmonics. Not add more gain through boosting the preamp. Either way you're changing the tone and it would be a justifiable upgrade.

Fair enough. Dynamic then.
I don't know what I'm trying to say to be honest. I'm trying to say I think it seems to matter less what guitar you're using through, say, a good modelled '59 Marshall Super Lead than an actual '59 Marshall Super Lead. Is dynamic the right word?
Well, I've made my point.
I'm just sort of going to not bother anymore because I've come across as incredibly argumentative in this thread
Edit: wait
I meant the other thread
The other "I want pickups to improve the sound of my practise amp" thread.
I figured it was this one.
Eh, what the hell. I was wrong in that thread and I'm probably wrong in this one
Last edited by Rock Pig at Mar 9, 2009,