Page 1 of 2
Well, Ive had it for about 2 months (with a Marshall 1960A with Clelestion G12T-75's) and I havent found a good tone. Not enough clarity, not clear enough, not tight enough. I play Progressive Metal/Jazz Fusion/Death Metal/Thrash Metal/Barouque and Romanticism Period Classical, and I cant seem to get a good tone. Plus, I do virtually no gigging or jamming, and I use it in my bedroom for recording most of the time. Its overkill. If I can manage to get a good tone, I wont sell it, but if I cant, I think im just gonna sell it and buy a POD X3 (for recording) and run it through my Microcube or buy a cheap practice amp for it (maybe Peavey Vypyr). Is the speakers/cab the reason for mediocore tone??? Or is it that im not cranking it up loud enough (usually 1-2 on Lead Master and 2 on normal Master)???? Or do I just suck at dialing it in???? Maybe I should see if I could sell it (or trade it) for a Mark IV combo. I was thinking my bad tone was my cab. Any pedals maybe????
Opinions, advice, settings, suggestions are welcome.
Thanks
Last edited by bulletrocks522 at Mar 8, 2009,
I think your problem are the G12T-75. You need to crank them to get a clear tone out of them. I suggest get a new cab, maybe with V30s or G12H-100(?, you know, those metal speaker). If your tone does not get better, get another amp. If you consider a Pod, I suggest a Vetta or a Flextone, that would sound way better then a Pod+ a Vyper.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
DON'T DO IT. Are you crazy? Is this because you're aggravated about the talent show?

Seriously, though, I would fool with the settings before you get rid of it. Also, try throwing in some V-30s.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
What are your current settings? If we know those, we might go AHA! There's yer problem matey.

But seriously keep that amp. If the settings don't work...new tube time?
WTLTL 2011
From having absolutely no experience with Marks, I'll assume that you're just not turning it up enough.

I've got the same cab and I don't have any clarity/sound problems when I play my Legacy through it.
You need to get rid of that cab. 1960's are just..meh..if that. Plus those speakers arent anything to write home about IMO. Try bringing your head to a store and plugging into some different cabs, maybe try V30's?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
tubescreamer in front could tighten things up in low volume situations.

but at the same time, a pod x3 would do very well for recording situations.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Okay, which cab should I get (must be a used 2x12 with V30's that you can get for 305$ used)???? I was thinking of a Vader 2x12 or a Mesa Rectifier 2x12.
The rectifier would be the best option, but I rarely see them under $400 used. You might want to take a look at Avatar cabs.

Also, you might want to think about picking up an attenuator. The Mesa Mark series amplifiers really do come alive once you start to turn up the volume, and an attenuator would allow you to get some "cranked" tones while keeping the amp at TV volumes.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Quote by mogar
The rectifier would be the best option, but I rarely see them under $400 used. You might want to take a look at Avatar cabs.

Also, you might want to think about picking up an attenuator. The Mesa Mark series amplifiers really do come alive once you start to turn up the volume, and an attenuator would allow you to get some "cranked" tones while keeping the amp at TV volumes.

Yeah, you could crank the amp and attenuate to tv volumes, it'll sound like garbage though.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Go Avatar if you want a new cab. Personally though I would hunt up a MarkIV combo.
Sig What?
A 2X12 will lose the headroom of your 1960, but when I A/B'd an orange 4X12 and an orange 2X12 with the same amp, on the same settings (Hughes and Kettner Triamp), the headroom was lost considerably, and same with the low end (not huge things you're looking for, so no loss there, especially if your gigging is talent shows) but the 2X12 was much tighter I found. So being that, that'd be a good thing for you to look into. An Avatar 2X12 with V30's is basically the same thing as an Orange 2X12 at a fraction of the price. I'd recommend it totally.
Also, if we could get your settings, we'll be able to help you out for sure. Mark III's are versatile as ****, so you aren't at a loss with the amp choice.
I find the Mark series can be a bitch to dial in, but it's worth the effort. I think the main problem is your speakers. The G12T-75's tend to have a pretty noticable mid scoop. They work really well with mid-heavy amps, like a JCM 800 or a Windsor, but probably aren't the best choice for an American voiced, high gain amp like a Mesa.

If your settings are cutting back on any mids at all, and you like to do that, perhaps consider a speaker with more pronounced midrange, like a Celestion V30 or Eminence Governor. V30's are known to bring more clarity out of dark voiced amps.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
are you kidding me?
Volume on 1-2 is not enough.
you're gonna need atleast on 4 to get the tones you want.
don't buy new speakers yet.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
To the post above me, I cant go above 2 on both volumes usually.

Settings:

Presence: 0.5-1
Lead Master (pulled): Usually 1.5-2
Lead Drive (pulled): 5.5
Master (pulled): 2
Middle: 4
Bass: 2
Treble (pulled): 7
Volume: 7

GEQ is off. I cant find good settings with it, it just makes my tone worse no matter where I set it.
BTW, could I maybe trade it all for a Mark IV 1x12 combo???? Would this sound better????
Also, I like some mids
Try turning the mids and the presence up. If you feel like it's too much mids then scoop them out a tiny bit on the geq, just the one freq in the middle.
Do it.
We need more NAD's
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
Do it.
We need more NAD's

Ah, I want too, but I cant because of mt parents. We drove 2 hours away to buy my Mark III, and I dont think they would want to do this again. Also, when they see the size theyll probably think its crap because its smaller.
You should figure out how exactly to use the Graphic EQ, apparently it's confusing to many new Mesa users but highly valuable once you can use it.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
You should figure out how exactly to use the Graphic EQ, apparently it's confusing to many new Mesa users but highly valuable once you can use it.

Well how do I use it then????
Move the sliders up and down. You understand the lower numbers are lows and the higher numbers are highs, and the ones in the middle are mids? Easy as pie.
Mesas usually sound good with a V shape on the Graphic EQ, at least that's how I've always seen them. Does Mesa have a forum? It'd be a good idea to check there.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by bulletrocks522
Ah, I want too, but I cant because of mt parents. We drove 2 hours away to buy my Mark III, and I dont think they would want to do this again. Also, when they see the size theyll probably think its crap because its smaller.

What's the point of this thread ?
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
A V shape on the GEQ, and boosting the presence a bit, and dimming down the treble (in compensation, it should sound less harsh coming from the power-amp section rather than the pre-amp section). Look into some LoG gear vids (Mark IV of course, but just to get an idea of the V shape we're talking about) it should help just as much on a Mark III.
Quote by bowen
A V shape on the GEQ, and boosting the presence a bit, and dimming down the treble (in compensation, it should sound less harsh coming from the power-amp section rather than the pre-amp section). Look into some LoG gear vids (Mark IV of course, but just to get an idea of the V shape we're talking about) it should help just as much on a Mark III.

Well my G12's arleady cut mids, I dont want more sccopage. Do Mark IV's sound like Mark III's????
>_>

Crank it LOUD. At least the master at 2 or 3; that's when Mesa's actually start sounding great. It's kind of loud for recording or bedroom stuff, so I'd seriously suggest an attenuator if you still want it to sound good and not kill your ears. There's no way the Mark III shouldn't be tight or clear: that's exactly what it is!! I had a similar hate of my DC until I turned the Master up to 3. Now it's one of my favorite amps, and I've played some really expensive ones and high quality ones that sounded looser and muddier.

Here are my settings for my DC's lead channel, and while it's not the same as the DC, I'm running it into basically the same cab

G: 4
T: 2.5
M: 4
B: 7
P: 8
R: 0
Master: 3
Output Level (Master volume): 3

Try something like that and see if it sounds better.
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by bulletrocks522
Well my G12's arleady cut mids, I dont want more sccopage. Do Mark IV's sound like Mark III's????

They have similarities on the lead channel, greatly affected by the GEQ, IIRC, you can use the GEQ and standard EQ together. The GEQ in a V, and the standard in one very much like stated above. That should help solve your problems.
Loudness on tube amps is a must as well, keep it above 2 for the full potential of that amp to start shining through
Quote by bowen
They have similarities on the lead channel, greatly affected by the GEQ, IIRC, you can use the GEQ and standard EQ together. The GEQ in a V, and the standard in one very much like stated above. That should help solve your problems.
Loudness on tube amps is a must as well, keep it above 2 for the full potential of that amp to start shining through

Whats IIRC???? "The GEQ in a V, and the standard in one very much like stated above." Can you rephrase that, I dont get what you mean.
Quote by bulletrocks522
Whats IIRC???? "The GEQ in a V, and the standard in one very much like stated above." Can you rephrase that, I dont get what you mean.

1) IIRC = If I remember correctly.

2) I think he means that you should put the Graphic EQ in a V-shaped (raised highs and lows, and lower mids), and then you can put the standard EQ (the knobs.) with the same settings RG said.
I think that the lack of crankage is your problem.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by The_Bosstone
1) IIRC = If I remember correctly.

2) I think he means that you should put the Graphic EQ in a V-shaped (raised highs and lows, and lower mids), and then you can put the standard EQ (the knobs.) with the same settings RG said.

This
Quote by bulletrocks522
Anymore settimgs???? Also, how shallow/deep should the V be.

Just above the bottom, take a look at this link to a picture of Willie Adler from Lamb of God's V-shape. It's a good starting point.

He has the numbers written above as well, something to try as well if you want to look for what his Mark IV settings might sound like on your Mark III. He has a pretty dark, really solid rhythm tone. The V shape there is very present though.
I'm doing this out of example, not knowing if you like Lamb of God at all, but their tone is the idea we're goin for here I suppose. Even if they are Mark IV's, it should be a good starting point, as the voicing may be differant, the EQ shouldn't be vastly differant in the least.
Here's Mark Morton's head, and look, numbers written above and everything. V shape has more upper mids for example. Mark likes more bite to his tone than Willie's darker tone.

Hope these are of some help, as LoG's tone is far from ****, thought I'd show you somethin to work off of at least
Last edited by bowen at Mar 9, 2009,
Just **** around with it until it sounds good.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
^With a Mesa amp, that will take forever if you have no idea what the fuck you're doing.
The guy came for some help on the matter, not a statement on the obvious.
Page 1 of 2