Went to the local Guitar Center today to kill some time. I saw a mint PRS SE Custom 22 on the wall where the pre-owned guitars are. I've been looking to pick up another electric to drop tune and have been trying to get a deal on a PRS. I played around with it for a few minutes and was sold. Ended up talking the sales rep down for $330 to $300. Now I just have to take it in to get set up because I want to take it two fulls steps down. I've been messing with it all afternoon and it plays pretty nice as is but I need it setup for the Breaking Benjamin songs I am trying to learn.
Ihor

<current gear>
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Boss NS-2, TU-2, MT-2, DS-1, SD-1
Here is a pic along with my other guitars
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Another pic
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
looks good!

im digging the les paul too.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
The Les Paul was my first guitar. I've been pretty happy with it but I threw the neck by drop tuning too often. I had a setup done and its much better so I won't take it past half a step down now. I bought the PRS so I could drop tune it and leave it that way.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
PRS SE's are good mid level guitars and your's looks great!
One thing though, PRS is probably not the best choice for drop tuning as the bridge is non-adjustable and it's compensation is fixed for the gauge of strings they usually are shipped with. While tuning down in of itself won't drastically change intonation, changes in string height or neck relief as a result of tuning down will to a degree. So will changing string guages to heavier ones for drop tuning which I understand is quite common.
Still, a lovely guitar.
Moving on.....
I was thinking about this. Can't a guitar shop adjust the string height and truss rod for heavier gauge strings? I want to take it two steps down to a drop D. I wasn't going to just drop tune it without getting it set up. I guess I could drop the Les Paul instead but rather leave it as is. I guess I could have the bridge changed as well? It looks like the tremolo version is adjustable but I heard that the tremolos on the less expensive guitars throw them out of tune, so I avoided it.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Last edited by silver93t at Mar 8, 2009,
Nice. I don't like the toggle switch positioning (still), but they sound and play really nicely for such cheap guitars. Also, that's not bad bookmatching for such a good price either

Just a thought:
Setting up that guitar won't be hard at all; why not have a stab yourself, and save $$$?
Because I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm a car mechanic by trade, but don't know much about setting up guitars. I messed with my Les Paul and could never get it right.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Have you looked at the ultimate set-up thread at the top of this forum?
Might help.

I just don't like seeing people ripped off at guitar shops for set-ups. Maybe it's cheaper over in America, but here, they charge loads, so I just learnt to do it myself.
Dan Erlewine's Guitar Player Repair Guide Revised Edition sells for under $30. (He works at Stew Mac now!) He built Lucy, Albert King's guitar and is pretty weel respected in the business. Buy his book (I did) and it'll explain alot and give you enough confidence to tackle your own setups.
Moving on.....
Guitar Center charged my $50 for the last setup. Its ok, not perfect but I am still a novice. I was going to try a small independent shop my teacher recommends.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
Looks better than most of the SE's I've seen and I love blue LP's
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
i own the same guitar and love it to death, it really is a great guitar once its setup properly.

it was a great deal on price too considering they just raised the price of them to 665.00 new, i got mine new for 489.99 just a few months ago
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
Last edited by invision2212 at Mar 8, 2009,
I'm looking to get a PRS soon, and was set on an SE Custom, as i really don't think i'll be able to afford a normal Custom. Would you say that the guitar is less of a 'PRS' because of the lack of a contoured body? I really love the PRS custom 22/24 shape and the SE custom's flat top is a slight put off, but if it still performs great then i won't be as hesitant to buy one!
SE Customs sound so good youll get over the flat body pretty quick
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo
I also noticed the flat body, but I can't justify spending $2k+ on a higher end one when I've only been playing for a year.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40
i just got this guitar and i lucked out since the line is being discontinued. best playing guitar ive played yet even to a standard Gibson les paul. ive gotten to borrow one (the les paul) from my friend and i have to say the PRS plays way better. but i wont drop tune it unless its just drop D or Db. My epi SG is good with Drop Bb sounds sick with some breaking benjamin.
PRS SE Custom 22
Fender mexi Start
Kramer Striker Custom Fr-24 cm
Epiphone SG Vintage 400
Epiphone G-1275
Ibanez RG 7321
Ibanez Gio starter
Steinberger Spirit Pro Deluxe

Line 6 Spider III (120w)
I love my SE.. Good pickup.
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
both of those electrics look great. if i had to get another a prs se might be on the list. yeah they are really dropping in price, 300 is a steal! (well it was used).
Wow you bumped an old thread of mine. I still have it and play it a lot. Its setup to a Bb two steps down right now and stays that way. The newer versions are pretty cool too. They had a Mike Mushok signature at the store when I was doing some Christmas shopping and it was real nice. The whole line came down in price.
Ihor

<current gear>
PRS SE Custom 22
Washburn D10SK Acoustic
Peavey XXX Super 40