Ok, I went to band practice today and we were sorting the sound out then suddenly i got huge anounts of feedback when i started turning it up each time. Then when we got the sound levels right it sounded f*cking sh*t. By the way if you aint guessed yet its a Line 6 spider 2.

I need a good gigging amp thats around 100 watts so im sure that it'll be fine for gigs.

In the band we play anything from country to punk to screamo and metal.
But my budget is £400

What could I get?????!!
I'm in a similar situation and I've decided on either the Marshall MG100DFX, or the Vox 100 VT, Marshall's website has reviews of their amps and I'm sure Vox do too, try youtube as well there is usually loads of video review of guitar gear.
I have the same problem with an marshall MG stack. What I'm planning to do is sell it and then buy myself a valve or tube combo instead. I Don't think it's needs to be as powerfully as a solid state because valve amps are generally more powerful, so about 50 watts might do. Anyway, that's is what I would do.

Is the budget inclusive of the price Line 6 or seperate, because if it's not inclusive, then if you followed my plan, you could get a decent amp for what your looking for.

hope I helped
Gear

Encore strat
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez RG2550Z-white
Ibanez Vblade
Stagg Black acoustic

Marshall MG15CDR
Marshall DSL100

Boss GT8
Rocktron Banshee
100 watts is too much to ask with that budget.

If versatility is that important, look at modelling amps like Flextones and Vypyrs.
However, you might be able to get a used Engl Thunder (650 quid new), which should be able to do those styles if you have a guitar with a good bridge humbucker. Note that the Thunder has a pretty mean rhythm sound that works just fine for metal (imo, at least), but it doesn't have enough compression to get a good modern lead sound. So if you solo a lot, this is probably a weak point.

EDIT:
Quote by IsaacDeano93
I'm in a similar situation and I've decided on either the Marshall MG100DFX, or the Vox 100 VT, Marshall's website has reviews of their amps and I'm sure Vox do too, try youtube as well there is usually loads of video review of guitar gear.

What styles do you play and how much are you willing to spend? For the price of either of these you can get nice tube amps already.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 8, 2009,
oh i forgot to mention, the MG100DFX is £270 and the Vox VT100 is £425 but you could go for the 50 watt one which is £300, the other guitarist in my band has the 50 watt and it IS loud !
you dont want an mg that is going to be gigged with, you wont get a decent sound, i've played the mgdfx50 and i couldnt stand it. deffinately try to go tube if you can, maybe a valveking, despite not being all that great, is better than the mg, it's 50watts and all tube, you'll be able to gig with that.
Quote by illuminatiano
do not go on guitar forums

there are drugs there

( and ololol there are )
Right i've read all of these il specify what im looking for a bit more.

I'm a lead guitarist who does alot of solo's. Am i asking too much for a amp that can do all of this and for under £400?
Quote by gnaraaron
you dont want an mg that is going to be gigged with, you wont get a decent sound, i've played the mgdfx50 and i couldnt stand it. deffinately try to go tube if you can, maybe a valveking, despite not being all that great, is better than the mg, it's 50watts and all tube, you'll be able to gig with that.

I've heard that if you get a tube its always better to have emg's on your guitar? explain please
Quote by E0HopwoodC
Right i've read all of these il specify what im looking for a bit more.

I'm a lead guitarist who does alot of solo's. Am i asking too much for a amp that can do all of this and for under £400?

If you want a tube amp, then yes. But a modeling amp could do the trick for you.

But really, 100 watts is just unnecessary. If you have a 50 watt amp, that'll be more than you'll ever need. The Flextone I mentioned earlier has 60 watts (though there is a 75w version, too, I believe). It's a seriously nice amp and should do the trick. They go for relatively cheap used, too, maybe you can save yourself some cash that way.
A Peavey Vypyr is also worth a look, so are Vox VT amps. The latter isn't as good for high gain sounds as the others I mentioned, but yet worth a try I figure.

Quote by E0HopwoodC
I've heard that if you get a tube its always better to have emg's on your guitar? explain please

Nope, that is not correct. EMGs tend to sound best with a tube amp, but that doesn't mean they'll sound better than other pickups. I personally can't stand EMG humbuckers and think that they're useless for anything but metal, and even for metal I'd prefer passives.
However, it is a matter of taste entirely.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 8, 2009,
You might be. I know Raven sells a 200 watt for about $300 but I've heard mixed reviews about that one (most of them favorable, and there's preset effects which you might like). That's about it in your price range. Do you have any effects pedals? If so then you might be able to get a used Roland JC-120 for your price, though you may have to look around (my dad got his at a garage sale. Missing one of the inputs on the reverb/chorus channel but otherwise works fairly well). I'd just save my money though. If you guys use a PA system, you MIGHT be able to mic the amp you have at a volume that isn't giving feedback. I dunno how well it will work however, and Line 6 sounds pretty bad in my opinion but you could give it a try (and mics are far less expensive than a good gigging amp).
you might be able get a peavey classic 50 within that price range. the gain sounds a tad brittle, but it will cover every thing from country to metal. just boost it for high gain
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.