hey everyone.
on my strat i use size 11 strings tuned to standard, so that puts alot of strain on my bridge. so i use 5 very strong springs, which counteracts the very strong pull of the strings. because of this, it takes alot of force to use the tremolo arm. and tremolo arms arent strong enough for this. they all seem to bend out of shape and become useless. i understand SRV also had this problem. does anyone know of any super strong tremolo arms that i could buy that can handle the force?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
i need help guys.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
use 10s maybe?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Get a tremlo no or whatever it's called. It allows you to still use the whammy bar in that mode.
that isnt the problem, i can still use me tremolo. the problem is that the bar its self isnt strong enough so it bends out of shape and becomes useless.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Sounds like its going to be a custom job.....or maybe drop down to 4 springs?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
if i drop to 4 springs, i wont get the same tuning stability. i set it up so the bridge isnt floating, so its essential a tremo-no. i can only drop the pitch.
what would i need to do to make one more sturdy, i would assume they are already made out of steel, or no?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
Hmm...

i'm sure if you look around the web enough, you should be able to find tougher trem arms.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
ive been looking but not finding much. hopefully someone will come along with the info i need haha.
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
If you really can't find anything (and if you're a handyman), you can try case hardening the trem arm.
I haven't tried it on a trem arm, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Callaham makes them, but they're threaded for American strats. You could always replace the block and arm with Callaham parts. It's supposed to be a pretty significant upgrade.
thanks i will look into that. although hopefully it wont involve me cutting into the old amp fund haha.

any one else know of any?
Quote by BryanChampine
Chea_man is the best.
http://www.militarygearhq.com/oe4027.shtml

never used these.
not sure why they're better, but i'm thinking even if you use a standard arm, and shorten the length, you'll get less leverage and be less likely to bend the arm.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 9, 2009,
Quote by jj1565
not sure why they're better, but i'm thinking even if you use a standard arm, and shorten the length, you'll get less leverage and be less likely to bend the arm.

Yeah, that'd work, but it'd also make it more difficult to use the arm because you'd have to exert more force to use the trem.
But you're right, it'd help fix the bending problem.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
im not sure that they will hold up to the force, but i will try
Quote by BryanChampine