I got new cabs today and thought I'd share the new gear day with everybody. As you may remember I was looking into 12" speakers and wasn't sure what to get. I went to guitar center today and what do i see? Two Peavey TVX412's there. used of course since they're discontinued. They are so new into the store they're not even on the website in the gear section(i couldn't find them anyway). $300USD each. They went for around $600 new on a site I found that was still selling them.
Specs.
* 4 ohm front-vented enclosure
* 4 - 12" Kevlar-impregnated Sheffield bass speakers
* Horn tweeter with level control and protection circuit
* 450W RMS continuous handling capability, 900W peak
* 30Hz to 15kHz frequency response
* 1/4" input jack
* Black Tolex covering
* Pop-out casters included
* 28-1/2"W x 38"H x 19-1/4"D
* 127 lbs.

and a picture at this link as i don't know how to just add the picture here.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&doc_id=99371&base_pid=601378&index=1

I did get both cabinets...why? overkill I guess. I could run both but probably won't. If I join that death metal band i was looking into I will probably run both live in that situation just for the sheer stage presence.

They are both kinda dusty but nothing that 30 minutes with a cloth won't fix. The horns both work as do the knobs on the back for adjusting them. One had a good knock once apparently as it was missing some tolex where the top and back meet. We have black carpet for cabinets at the barn so i will be fully recovering them in that. Sure they're heavy, but the sound was exactly what i wanted. I tried it through the ampeg tube head they had. a markbass head, an acoustic head, a peavey head, and a hartke head to get an overall feel for the cabs since I didn't have my head. Not many places stock the peavey vb-2. I really didn't wanna let these get sold before I got back with my head so i just tried it with a bunch of stuff and loved it every time. Well, enjoy my new gear day and feel free to comment.

EDIT: I should mention that our PA speakers don't handle bass too well so for something like an outdoor gig I could run one cabinet on each side of the band and get plenty of volume like that. So getting both cabs isn't a total waste.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Mar 8, 2009,
Well done on the fined, i found the design for that cab was stupid, the square one right. But for that price no one is complaining.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Wow they look great, what head are you running?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
peavey vb-2 all tube head 225 watts. but as we all know tubes are perceived louder than SS.

I personally like the square shape so that if i would ever want to they're easily stackable...don't know why i'd want to since if my stage is that small the venue can't be that big but hey. it's an option with that shape. The tweeters do the highs really well but aren't harsh at any point. and the speaker cover everything pretty well. The lows RUMBLE. A lot like 15's.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Thats good about a 4x12, if i had a 2x12 i would want an 18 under it.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
ya i was thinking about a 2x12 1x15 setup possibly but then i saw these babies and the tone left no doubt in my mind. nothing beats an 8x12 setup lol.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Except the back.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
Except the back.

What? you mean the tolex?

Oh nvm. duh. you mean my back. ya. but we always help each other move our cabs and i can lift it if needed. Now that i think about it. everybody in the band play tube amps through 4x12's. lol.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Your back, i meant your back.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
You can't tell me that if you found a cabiinet that you absolutely loved you would just let it go because it was too heavy though. Lightweight is always great but sometimes sacrifices must be made.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Im not saying you shouldnt i want an ampeg svt 2, freakin heavy, and i want two of them and a 2x15 and a 6x10, heavys better well im young and foolish but still, just saying in a good humered way.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
oh i totally understand. now my full rig weighs something like 310lbs.

2x127 for the cabs and 64 lbs for the head.

wait. that's the head weight when packed so knock off maybe 5 lbs...still ridiculous.

EDIT: since my old 4x10s are 8 ohms i could run 8 10's and 4 12's. hehehe. that would make it 33 lbs heavier so, taking out 5 on the amp head weight, that comes to 338lbs. I'll never use that setup I'm sure but it's possible.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
oh i totally understand. now my full rig weighs something like 310lbs.
2x127 for the cabs and 64 lbs for the head.

Holy crap. That hurts just reading the numbers.
I mean... my entire rig tops out at 45lbs!
Ah to be young, or have a crew, or old and have a young crew.
Glad you're happy, but it's quite telling that bass 412s laid out that way went the way of the dodo. And the whole MDF cabinetry isn't very heartwarming either. But in any case, you can't really argue with that price, and they're strong enough to throw down the stairs.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 8, 2009,
I can't come up with a single answer, but it's all in the engineering. There needs to be a good space, diameter, and location for the port of an effective cab. Plus, the tweeter needs to be placed in a proper spot as well, although that tweeter seems to be placed in the same spot as many 410s. I believe that placing 12s that way may cause some phase issues that 10s are less succeptable to, and there's probably a depth/magnet "size" ratio that needs to be dealt with. But all of that's speculation. What I do know is that the nearly total lack of cabs like that is telling.

EDIT: Marshall also makes a 412 like that to go along with their tube head, so this rig will probably work out very, very well. Just not my thing.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Mar 9, 2009,
I think its a matter of projection, it needs to be plaed out, like the aggie 4x12, which is narrow and tall, this one is fat and small. You ight get better opyions by running the 8x12, maybe.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I believe that fatgoogle has it right. really a 4x12 is enough to be heard but as a bassist we need a little more help projecting the sound so they made it taller to cover more vertical space. Of course, you could always get that vertical height from 2 4x12s on top of each other but that's overkill.....and i'm into overkill. It will also allow me to choose what volume I want my tube head at(as volume has a lot to do with tone on tube amps) If I wanna keep it turned down I just connect the second cabinet. If I wanna turn up for a more growly tone I just go to one cabinet. and i can choose between the top and the bottom as I've noticed that even thought my 4x10s are identical the one on the floor always has more bass. No matter which one is on the floor.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
The freqs are bouncing of the floor and back i think just making a deeper sound in the long run.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Exactly - from what I understand, you get 3db more bottom end putting a cab on the floor, and 3db more putting it against a wall. You get a third 3db on the bottom end when putting it in a corner, but that could make it a bit too woofy.

And let's not forget coupling gain - you're getting 3db of overall gain by having these cabinets side-by-side or on top of eachother.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Well, 3db in reason, i dont think your going to get a full 3db by putting them side-side, but im sure youll get close.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
My Neo 2x12 does it for me. Its light and has loads of headroom.

I know alot of you would maybe add a 1x15 or 1x18 too a 2x12, but my cab is X-ported giving loads more low-end. I'd possibly get a 2x10 top cab with a 5" Horn. I think that'd be nice.

If you like the 4x12 cabs look at this : http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Bass_Cabs/PowerhouseCABS/PHbass4x12-LG.htm

Two of them side by side eh?? lol!
Quote by IndianRockStar
The bass SHOULD cover the bottom end at the very least.

70's MOD Jazz->
BOSS LMB-3->
Hartke HA3500->
GENZ-BENZ NEOx 2x12->