7dim is wrong (in the spelling)

it's a bit chaotic;

All the scale formula's are based of the major scale.

So the major scale = 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

And the minor scale = 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6 ,b7

In intervals;

Major scale; R, M2, M3, P4, P5, M6, M7, (Octave)

Minor scale; R, M2, m3, P4, P5, m6, m7, (Octave)

Big "M" = Major
Small "m" = minor
P = perfect

Diminished = b5,
Augmented = the #5, but this interval = the minor 6th (m6)

Augmented is also the #4 which is the same note as the b5, but is only called #4 if the 5th stays a perfect 5th (unaltered)

b2 interval is a Minor 2nd (m2)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 8, 2009,
Not to hijack this thread, but are scale formulas in relation to the major scale (1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7 for example) particularly useful or are they just a different preference in notating the discrepancies between scales?
Quote by Eastwinn
Not to hijack this thread, but are scale formulas in relation to the major scale (1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7 for example) particularly useful or are they just a different preference in notating the discrepancies between scales?

Well yes.

If you don't have major scale as the "guide". then how do you know the 4 means a perfect fourth and not an augmented 4th.

All musictheory is based of the major scale, so it's natural to make that the standard formula.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I'm sorry, I don't think you understood what I meant. Probably should have written it better. I was curious if the aforementioned format had any benefits over representing scales in other formats like the Whole/Half step format (WWHWWWH).
Last edited by Eastwinn at Mar 8, 2009,
Quote by Eastwinn
I'm sorry, I don't think you understood what I meant. Probably should have written it better. I was curious if the aforementioned format had any benefits over representing scales in other formats like the Whole/Half step format (WWHWWWH).

Yes

Because it's also the way to write down chords, so you can see which tonic chords you can build from the scale.

WWh etc. doesn't show scale functions/intervals and thus you need to think that in ur head.

The formula format is imo far more detailed, and also helps in understanding theory and see the difference between scales.

Like you will be easier to spot change in a scale, and exactly what change, as well as closely related scales.

Lydian = 1, 2, 3, #4, 5, 6, 7 gives far more info at first sight

Also the Whole Half will mess up with bigger intervals beyond whole steps like Alot of Exotic scales, as well as mess up scales which have less notes in it, like the pentatonic scale, where the first interval leap is 3 half steps, as well as the Harmonic minor scale, which also features a 3 semitone leap.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 8, 2009,